Thread: Should I be considering Win 9?

Question Should I be considering Win 9?

Just wondering what the current thoughts and buzz are on the new OS. I'm with Win7 and very happy. I just know that sometimes a newer OS is a little more secure etc.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Whelp...for playing around, for home users....there's typically no bad things that can happen when a new OS comes out.

For businesses..they typically wait until at least the first service pack comes out. To squish the bugs of the new OS.

Of course you have to look at the likely compatability issues that a brand new OS will have with your existing software and hardware.....you don't know what will be supported..or not.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

If you are running Windows 7 your hardware will work (just as it will with Windows 8.1 if you should choose that route). Question is, do you REALLY need to upgrade? If so, do you need to do it the minute the OS is released? If you're happy with 7 then I would say nah. I you have the funds or means of getting 9 when it is released then I say why not.

BTW, run the beta when MS releases it and see what you think as well. Just run it in a VM (download Virtualbox for free) to play around with it.

I'm happy with Win 7. I was just curious what the combined wisdom was on the upgrade. I wasn't sure if there were some hidden gems that would mandate an upgrade.

Win9 has been changed to Win10 and that one is coming out near the end of July 2015
    But I'll stay with Windows 7 since it runs fine on my existing PCs

Quote Originally Posted by kaufen View Post
    As mentioned, Windows 9 is expected to restore the Start menu, which has been absent since the original version of Windows 8. It will also allow Modern apps, currently confined to the tile-oriented Start screen, to be run in floating windows on the desktop, presumably just like legacy applications.

Windows 8.1 brought back Windows 7's start button and added a boot-to-desktop mode that allowed PC users to bypass the tablet-oriented Start screen. The changes haven't been enough to tempt longtime customers into upgrading, let alone into buying new PCs. Perhaps Windows 9's nods to the mouse-and-keyboard crowd will be better received.
    There isn't a Windows 9.