Thread: Hi had a bat

SG Enthusiast

Hi had a bat

had a bat that entered my basement that i could of had entered in my basement while i opened my my basement window 4 30 secs the other day so i wanted out of my house. havent seen it in a few days in my basement in a few days. Talked to a pest control guy who said he could fix an entry where my vinyl siding has an openning near my gutters 12 x 12 which he said there is a nest but i didnt look. To me obviously the guy wants money but $1000 seems a little expensive to me. Your thoughts?
    Last edited by 24giovanni; 07-17-14 at 10:36 PM.

1000 seems high. I do home improvement and charge approx 90/hr + materials. Bats usually don't nest in houses, probably a bird's nest or squirrel. Just put on a pair of leather gloves, catch the bat & release it. They eat LOTS of bugs each night (2-3 k).
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

SG Enthusiast
    Hi Tony, The bat seems to be gone. I am gonna get a 2nd opinion on this as I think the guy i had at my house as a rip off. I will go on roof to see what he is talking about. probs get a 3rd opinion as well. thx for responding as no one else did. :sad

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by 24giovanni View Post
    as no one else did. :sad
    Why is that sad? I read it shortly after you put it up...had to re-read a few times....to try to understand what you were trying to say.
    But to the main point...how is anyone supposed to guess what the costs will be, without knowing the details?
    Like Tony said...~ 90 or 100 bucks an hour is average going rate. BUT...what kind of problem do you have? is it just the "vinyl" siding that is missing or off? What brand of vinyl siding? Cheap plain stuff? Or nicer cedar shakes like Certain Teed? Which is many times more expensive and the minimal amount he has to purchase just to get a square foot is $180 bucks?
    Is there rot underneath? Sheathing need to be replaced? Further rot under there in the structural?
    Do you want it just band-aided so it will look alright for another two or three years and then have a bad rot issues again? Or do you want it fixed right....damaged material removed, replaced properly, sealed up right with replaced Tyvek 'n all, and matching vinyl siding replaced?
    Hard to say if the price is accurate without seeing it...tough from across the internet.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Hi Tony, The bat seems to be gone. I am gonna get a 2nd opinion on this as I think the guy i had at my house as a rip off. I will go on roof to see what he is talking about. probs get a 3rd opinion as well. thx for responding as no one else did. :sad
    Are you trying to guilt trip people into responding?
    Christ, I might have replied the first time I read the post but, like StoneCat, had to re-read it a few times to figure out what the hell you were trying to say. At that point I had to go to work

$1000 seems way high to me too, but without knowing the situation it's hard to tell. Did that include removal of the bats that might be there? If so you might be able to find a local wildlife care organization that could remove them for you, and hire someone to just fix the hole if you can't screen it off yourself. Would definitely recommend another estimate or two.

SG Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    Are you trying to guilt trip people into responding?
    Christ, I might have replied the first time I read the post but, like StoneCat, had to re-read it a few times to figure out what the hell you were trying to say. At that point I had to go to work

$1000 seems way high to me too, but without knowing the situation it's hard to tell. Did that include removal of the bats that might be there? If so you might be able to find a local wildlife care organization that could remove them for you, and hire someone to just fix the hole if you can't screen it off yourself. Would definitely recommend another estimate or two.
    No Humby, I was just trying to get am opinion from ppl I respect and trust on here for many years.

No Humby, I was just trying to get am opinion from ppl I respect and trust on here for many years.
    Well, than posting and waiting has worked well for me. Whump the thread if needed.

Posting in non-text form might help

We respect and trust you too, but sometimes have a hell of a lot going on besides SG.

Peace.

SG Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    Well, than posting and waiting has worked well for me. Whump the thread if needed.

Posting in non-text form might help

We respect and trust you too, but sometimes have a hell of a lot going on besides SG.

Peace.
    Agreed humby. As you are one of my fav posters and had a lot going on. My apologies to the forum.