Thread: Access to remote application server over point to point VPN tunnel

Access to remote application server over point to point VPN tunnel

Thank you for hosting this forum!

My situation:

I have two offices connected by a site to site VPN tunnel. Site #1 is the main office with Windows Server 2003 configured as the DNS domain controller (FQDN.local), DHCP server on ethernet2 for LAN clients, and application sharing. And I am using Active Directory for authentication and permissions.

Site #2 is a remote office with one workstation - Windows 7 - that I want access to the server as a domain user with privileges like those of the local clients at site #1.

The sites are linked using Cisco RV042G VPN routers with static IPs on the WAN port.

At site #1 the LAN DHCP is configured with a 192.168.n.0 subnet, and at site #2 the LAN DHCP is configured with a 192.168.n+1.0 subnet.

How do I get a domain user on the workstation at site #2 to log on to the domain and access the shared applications and MSSQL databases on the server at site #1?

Thank you to all who reply.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Set the primary DNS server for the computer at site 2 to be the LAN IP address of the DC at site 1.
    Active Directory is built on top of DNS. Workstation at Site 2 will need proper name resolution of objects in active directory for it to function properly within AD.
    You can set the secondary DNS to be the IP of the RV042 or whatever...in case the VPN tunnel goes down (which it will at some regular basis on the RV042s)...so it can still surf the internet.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Thank you YeOldeStonecat, I just knew you'd come through for me. I found this site by search engine because you'd answered a similar query by someone else.

Okay, I'm on location at site #2; I reconfigured the primary DNS first with the local IP on the DC (the NIC hosting DHCP for the local clients). Then I reconfigure the primary DNS with the IP of the WAN port of the DC. Both times I got an error message: An Active Directory Domain Controller (AD DC) for the domain "FQDN.LOCAL" could not be contacted....

What am I missing?

Thank you YeOldeStonecat