Thread: Need help for work asap

Need help for work asap

Greetings,

Normally I would post immediately in the New Members area so I'm sorry in advance for not doing so but this is rather serious as it pertains to my job. I moved recently and the house I moved to had a network setup that was not only extremely confusing but impossible for me to figure out. It was mac filtered and in order for me to gain access I would have to have gotten into the router and setup my mac address but we couldn't figure out the password to set it up. There were two routers setup, one wired DI-604 and one wireless Linksys E1200, I could only see the default gateway for the DI-604 and not the E1200. So what I did was disconnect both routers and hooked the E1200 up and reset it completely, I then setup a secured connection and got all the devices connected and everything seemed fine. When I performed a speed test on my work computer I received less than 1 m/bit download speed but 5 m/bit upload. Thinking it was my comp I performed it on the laptop and same thing. The results from my comp will be posted below but I have to have 5/1 for work and we're paying for more. Since I reset the network and only secured it I figured I would post here first just in case.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3521174949
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3521178398
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3521193356
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3521200049

Quick update. I tried restarting the modem and that didn't help at all.

Why don't you just buy a new router and set it up yourself?

Well 1) I don't have the money for it now and 2) I have the home network setup fine. File transfers are quick between the computer and the laptop. Is there a way for me to determine what speeds I'm supposed to have? I can't find them on the bill and the web site doesn't tell me either. Aside from calling CS I really don't know what else to do and I start work Monday so I really need this fixed. If I have to I'll contact CS I just know that I'll get a run around and attempted up selling which I wanted to avoid.

Ok so I called CS and they told me the modem we have is very outdated, they're sending someone out tomorrow to replace it.

I had the same problem a couple of years ago. My ISP increased my speeds without telling me but I wasn't seeing them due to an outdated router. I only caught it when I was scouring over one of the bills and noticed something wrong.

(They're sending out someone over the holiday)?

Yeah, they sent someone out and was very quick and thorough. However I still only get 1 m/bit down and 5 up over wireless. Wired I'm getting 30 down and 5 up. So I have no idea what's going on. Oh and I'm wired into the router. I have to be wired for work but all the other devices are wireless and are getting maybe dial up speeds.
    Last edited by William Michaeli; 05-27-14 at 02:07 PM.

What about your wireless adapters? Are the drivers up to date? Have you tried manually altering the settings? If so, have you tried resetting them to the defaults?

Ok, there's something installed for the wireless adapter on the laptop called AppEx Networks Accelerator. Once I disabled that the speed shot from a max of 1 meg to 30 megs. I have no idea what it's there for or why it would cause such a bottle neck but damn. Now on to the phones problems.

Crap software/driver attaching/bonding to your network adapter.

After much surfing and searching out turns out that the QoS setting WMM slows down the wireless for many devices. Now everything is blazing.

AppEx "auto tunes" your connection from what I have read. Seems pointless. I, as a general rule on personally owned PC's, always turn off QoS- both router and adapter side. It's just not needed in a home user setup.

I think restarting the modem is not a alternative at all. Must try something else.

Why don't you just buy a new router and set it up yourself?