Thread: Formula 1 Pits Stops 1950's VS 2013

Blog Entries

Cool Formula 1 Pits Stops 1950's VS 2013

Though on a slightly different subject
    I as well recall seeing these older pit stops at Indy and so on in my younger days. It's amazing how far they have come. I believe it was the Woods Bro's back in the early Indy days that where innovators realizing the advantages a quick pit stop could offer their team. I recall watching a clip on them while changing tires they held a shoelace with the nuts strung on them in their teeth and would quickly drop them into their hands when the time was right thus avoiding having to search for them to reattach their wheels. Seconds gained where all important in their minds.

http://biertijd.com/mediaplayer/?itemid=47217

Woods Bro's
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_Br...ing#Innovation

---

Thought some of you car guys might enjoy.

Larry

Holy ****! Can you say perfect execution.

What, no high fives, fist bumps or butt slaps?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cybotron r_9 View Post

Holy ****! Can you say perfect execution.

What, no high fives, fist bumps or butt slaps?
    ---

Hi cybotron r_9

Instead of high fives, fist bumps or butt slaps...they settle for prize money, prize money, prize money.

---

regards

Larry

Seen that before but am still blown away.

Why can't I get service like that when I get my tires changed?

In all honesty though, he didn't get any gas that I could see.
    That might have added at least another second or 2.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    Seen that before but am still blown away.

Why can't I get service like that when I get my tires changed?

In all honesty though, he didn't get any gas that I could see.
    That might have added at least another second or 2.
    ---

I noticed the same thing Humboldt.

Not their long enough to get any

---

Larry

I don't see how they could in that time frame.

Wow.

I wait over an hour to get my tires changed, on a good day.
    Pay a good bit less I bet though

money and the girls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZeWidGnxSI

Quote Originally Posted by minir View Post
    ---

Hi cybotron r_9

Instead of high fives, fist bumps or butt slaps...they settle for prize money, prize money, prize money.

---

regards

Larry

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cybotron r_9 View Post
    ---

Thanks for the reminder cybotron r_9. Without doubt Formula 1 draws some of the most beautiful & sexy women in the world. One only need look at the wives of some of these drivers to see that. For the most part they seem to have more class & less tattoos than those drawn to NASCAR.

---

Humboldt

As you say far speedier service but on the other hand a little pricey.

---

Larry

Count the heads and you'll see why its so fast. 3 guys on "each" wheel, one runs the impact wrench, one pulls the old wheel off and one to put the new wheel on. On guy at each end of the car with fast release car jacks. The lollypop guy and one of two guys just watching what's going on to make sure they get a safe release. Standing bye just in case is a guy with a starter in case the car stalls. A guy with a scissor jack incase they have to replace the front wing. I counted 21 bodies in the video. I'm an avid F1 fan. They are not allowed to refuel the car during a race any more so its just tire changes and wing adjustments and cleaning the gunk out of the front wing plates.
    I don't know the same things you don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Count the heads and you'll see why its so fast. 3 guys on "each" wheel, one runs the impact wrench, one pulls the old wheel off and one to put the new wheel on. On guy at each end of the car with fast release car jacks. The lollypop guy and one of two guys just watching what's going on to make sure they get a safe release. Standing bye just in case is a guy with a starter in case the car stalls. A guy with a scissor jack incase they have to replace the front wing. I counted 21 bodies in the video. I'm an avid F1 fan. They are not allowed to refuel the car during a race any more so its just tire changes and wing adjustments and cleaning the gunk out of the front wing plates.
    Truly impressive.

2 seconds to change 4 tires.

Jesus. I wonder what they get paid. Especially that guy out in front.

Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    Truly impressive.

2 seconds to change 4 tires.

Jesus. I wonder what they get paid. Especially that guy out in front.
    You should have seen a few from the days when there was no pit lane speed limit and they refueled. A few of those front jack men got punted when the car came in too fast and couldn't stop in the pit box. I do believe just about every team can do it in 3 seconds of less these days. All those guys do double or triple duty. Loading and unloading the trucks on a race weekend. Some are mechanics when the car gets broken. They get paid well and they earn it.

Blog Entries
    ---

Hi the Dude

Thanks for the info. I had forgotten the no top up rule as i don't watch much anymore. I go back to the Stirling Moss, Jackie Stewart days when i too was an avid fan. Fittipaldi, Senna was around the time i started to drift away from being a true follower of the sport as imho it became to much of a closed in situation wherein it was all computer tech and the drivers where really no longer viewable as in past days. Also the announcing became like NASCAR with too much info and too many people involved which hockey has become as well. I'm a Foster Hewitt type guy. One or two guys is all that's need to describe any event. Murray Walker in his early days was the way i preferred it along with his calling partner. All sports now seem too sanitized, not down and dirty like the old days.

Just me aging i guess.

---

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by minir View Post
    ---

Hi the Dude

Thanks for the info. I had forgotten the no top up rule as i don't watch much anymore. I go back to the Stirling Moss, Jackie Stewart days when i too was an avid fan. Fittipaldi, Senna was around the time i started to drift away from being a true follower of the sport as imho it became to much of a closed in situation wherein it was all computer tech and the drivers where really no longer viewable as in past days. Also the announcing became like NASCAR with too much info and too many people involved which hockey has become as well. I'm a Foster Hewitt type guy. One or two guys is all that's need to describe any event. Murray Walker in his early days was the way i preferred it along with his calling partner. All sports now seem too sanitized, not down and dirty like the old days.

Just me aging i guess.

---

Larry
    They are trying to make it more driver skill based versus car technology theses days. Active suspension was banned years ago, electronically adjustable wings are gone too. So is traction control. Driver skill is now a big factor again like it should be. Anti stall is still there for safety reasons. There is some other tech like the Drag Reduction System and the Energy Recovery System. They are hybrids in a way. The whole formula was rewritten this year. V6 Turbo engines and the dual ERS systems. Some teams got it right and some didn't. Last years top dog is now playing catch up. I'll keep watching for a while yet I think.

Blog Entries
    Hi Dude

There is still an attraction their don't get me wrong but i just find it as mentioned too controlled. Back in the day in NASCAR for example you ran a modified Ford, Chev or Chrysler to name a few. The old adage being "Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday" You could actually buy what they where running. Great competition boosted by guys like me who did buy those cars. Today they have different bodies but little else. Not the same type of involvement to me.

Hopefully the changes being made will bring the skilled driver the advantage he deserves.

---

regards

Larry

I was an avid Nascar fan in the days of Bill Eliot and Rusty Wallace. I lost interest around when the "Car of Tomorrow" came out and the different body styles were just painted on. I still watch now and then, but not like I used to.

Blog Entries
    I was an avid Nascar fan in the days of Bill Eliot and Rusty Wallace. I lost interest around when the "Car of Tomorrow" came out and the different body styles were just painted on. I still watch now and then, but not like I used to.
    ---

Dale Earnhardt, Junior Johnson, The King of course & the Unser Bros. jump to mind for me Dude when i do believe NASCAR was at its peak with down & dirty racing. As you say then the cookie cutter cars started to emerge and it lost its shimmer to me.

Like you i tune in now and again but back in the day when i was first married all my single buddies would be found at my house sharing a few pops and rooting for our favorites on a Sun. Wife not too thrilled, but we overlooked that. Still have my buddies though.

---

regards

Larry