Thread: Cable internet connection through router drops when adding a laptop

Cable internet connection through router drops when adding a laptop

Edit: This is resolved. I had to manually set the DNS servers on the host computer (the one who's MAC address is tied to my cable internet service provider). See a detailed explanation on post #5

I have this weird issue that I can't seem to resolve, and linksys wants me to pay them for support since my product is out of warranty, so I was hoping to get some help on this. I had a DSL internet connection that I had setup on this router and it worked perfectly fine for years. I recently just changed ISP's to a cable provider.

I made all the router setup changes outlined in this linksys kb article: http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/ukp.as...aaecf_3686.xml

And it worked just fine. My host computer connects to the internet from the router without issue. All of my wireless devices connect to the router without issue (2 androids, a kindle, a wii, and a ps3).

But when I connect a laptop, the internet connection drops dead. I have to wait 2-5 minutes for it to restore but most of the time it doesn't restore at all and I have to powercycle the modem and router to get my internet back. I've done this by connecting wirelessly with the laptop and wired directly into the router, and both have the same results - the connection drops.

It's weirder though because when I wire in the laptop, and the connection dies, and I power cycle, the connection is restored - even for my laptop. When I start using the internet on my laptop (loading a youtube video for instance), it'll work for 30 seconds to 1 minute and the internet will then cut dead as usual. If I powercycle and restore the internet, it'll be up and running just fine until I start putting traffic through the laptop before it'll die again. Very odd to me.

Mid-post update: I'm at work with said laptop and my wife is texting me saying she's having issues at home now without the laptop, the connection lasts 20-30 seconds and drops dead on each powercycle so maybe it wasn't specifically the laptop causing the problem. I've googled and read all I can on this, and I don't see where setup is the issue at this point.

I found this post that sounds really similar to my issue: http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-4...2nd-user-is-on

The top answer there says to use a crossover cable to connect the modem to the router. Would that help me in my situation you think? I don't want to spend money if I don't have to. . .

Any ideas?
    Last edited by Geryth; 02-25-14 at 08:12 AM.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    What make/model router?
    What make/model cable modem? (or gateway).
    No, crossover cable tween modem and routers WAN port is not the answer.

And..what make/model laptop? I'm going to suspect there's a compatiblity issue between your laptop, and the wireless router. Perhaps updating the firmware on the Linksys will cure the issue. Or perhaps it's too old of a model, and just won't work well with newer operating systems, IP6, the wireless chipset of the laptop, or other things.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    What make/model router?
    What make/model cable modem? (or gateway).
    No, crossover cable tween modem and routers WAN port is not the answer.

And..what make/model laptop? I'm going to suspect there's a compatiblity issue between your laptop, and the wireless router. Perhaps updating the firmware on the Linksys will cure the issue. Or perhaps it's too old of a model, and just won't work well with newer operating systems, IP6, the wireless chipset of the laptop, or other things.
    Router is a Cisco Linksys WRT54G2 router (firmware is up to date. . .because there's not a single firmware download available from the linksys website)

Modem is a Cisco DPC3208.

The laptop and router aren't incompatible, they've worked just fine together for years when connected with a DSL modem. The laptop was a false cause, and I'll go into detail about what I found.

I think my issue is that I just have too slow of a router for this connection. My speedtest results go as high as 55mbps, my DSL modem was only 6mbps.

When I set up the router and the modem, everything worked just fine. My wireless devices had internet connection, and my wired computers had internet connection. The reason I thought my laptop was the problem was because everytime I powercycled the modem and router to restore connectivity, I was testing the connection on my laptop by loading up a 20 minute youtube video at 1080p, and after 1-2 minutes the connection would drop. I found this to the case on any device, not just the laptop, that if I started putting heavy traffic the connection would drop. If I didn't do anything requiring heavy traffic, such as web-browsing, the connection remained strong and stable on all devices and would last for hours or however long it was until a device started downloading or streaming something large. I don't think there's anything wrong with my router setup, and I don't think there's anything wrong with setup on any of my devices, it's just that this router can't handle 30-50mpbs running through it for more than 2 minutes straight. Edit: Let me clarify here that I've had the modem directly plugged into my computer and used heavy internet traffic on it on multiple occasions so far and the connection never dropped, it only happened when plugged into the router.

So, I've purchased a new router which hopefully will be delivered here by Friday or Monday, and I'll let ya'll know if that made any difference. For now my old ISP is still delivering connectivity so I'm back to my old setup which is working as fine as it always had in the past, and I'll revisit when my new router comes.
    Last edited by Geryth; 02-19-14 at 12:24 PM.

I purchased a TP-Link Archer C7 router.

Same. Exact. Problem. It's pretty much an instant disconnect when a new device connects. If I powercycle after the disconnect, everything will connect with the boot up just fine. When I start putting heavy traffic through. . .disconnect. Small traffic will have no issues whatsoever.

So I just wasted $100 on a new router I didn't need. I'm getting pretty sick of this. Any more ideas?

I have finally resolved this. I did a ton of research on this and I found many different places talking about setting the DNS servers for the host computer. I swear I had tried that before and it didn't work. I was retrying solutions just out of desperation.

I found out the DNS servers this time by getting them from my router's interface (this time the TP link router). I tried to get them from a command prompt using ipconfig /all - which worked when using the linksys router - but did not work on the TP link router (the DNS server was just listed as the router IP).

Anyways, since the TP link router interface told me the DNS servers being used by my ISP, I went to my network and sharing center and clicked on my network connection. Then I went to Properties. Then I highlighted "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)" and clicked on "Properties". The radio button "Obtain DNS server automatically" was currently set. I changed it to "Use the following DNS server addresses" and I entered in the DNS server IP addresses found in my TP link router interface. This has resolved my issues completely. All devices connected without disconnecting the internet and I can put as much traffic on each device as I want for long periods of time without any disconnects.

Again, I swear I had tried that with my linksys. Maybe I fat fingered the IP addresses. Anyways, I don't think I needed a new router but ultimately going to a 5ghz wireless band is a nice upgrade so I don't feel like a total waste of money.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Yeah some routers hand out their LAN IP as the DNS server....and they simply do a DNS forwarding. Other routers will just hand out the IP of the DNS servers they obtain on their WAN port.
    Using the routers LAN IP as your DNS often helps in local network resolution, like if you have a peer to peer workgroup setup at home. This is pretty normal behavior for many routers.

(or better yet, to cut down on malware, use a "safe DNS service" like OpenDNS
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Verify in Router to have selected your country !
    Every man has his destiny.