Thread: Which of these VelociRaptor models should I get?

Question Which of these VelociRaptor models should I get?

My "C" drive needs replacing. I only put the OS and Programs on this drive and all "Data" sits on another drive. This means that my "C" drive is now only sitting there with about 60Gb of data on it which means I don't need crazy-big space to satisfy my needs.

NewEgg has these 2 VelociRaptors selling for the same price and since either one meets my needs I was just wondering which of the 2 might be a better or more recent model.

WD2500HHTZ 250GB

WD1500HLHX 150GB

TIA

Why the Raptors? Get a WD Red or Black. More storage and cheaper with much better warranty's.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Raptors are true enterprise grade drives....5 year warranty, 1.4 million hours MTBF
    http://www.wd.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=20

Plus Raptors are very fast, 10,000 rpm. No other desktop spindle hard drive can touch them for performance.

WD Reds have a 3 year warranty. Dunno how that is considered a "much better warranty". They are designed for NAS's...slower RPM, 5,400rpm. Dunno why they would be recommended for a desktop over even a standard 7,200rpm drive like a Black.
    http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=810

WD Blacks are indeed fine drives, 5 year warranty...WD's third best desktop drive (behind the Raptor and RE series).
    http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=760

However, once you experience high RPMs...there's often no going back.

Easto..my answer to your question, I'd go for the 250 solely because it has 64 megs of cache vs the 32 megs of cache for the 150 giger.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Raptors are true enterprise grade drives....5 year warranty, 1.4 million hours MTBF
    http://www.wd.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=20

Plus Raptors are very fast, 10,000 rpm. No other desktop spindle hard drive can touch them for performance.

WD Reds have a 3 year warranty. Dunno how that is considered a "much better warranty". They are designed for NAS's...slower RPM, 5,400rpm. Dunno why they would be recommended for a desktop over even a standard 7,200rpm drive like a Black.
    http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=810

WD Blacks are indeed fine drives, 5 year warranty...WD's third best desktop drive (behind the Raptor and RE series).
    http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=760

However, once you experience high RPMs...there's often no going back.

Easto..my answer to your question, I'd go for the 250 solely because it has 64 megs of cache vs the 32 megs of cache for the 150 giger.
    There is nothing wrong with the drives that I recommended. Hell, why not just get a SSD. Why do you seem to be crapping on my posts lately?

i would go SSD for sure, you can't even compare other drives to them for access times.

128GB samsung
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820147252

256GB samsung
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA2W01AZ5550

you can get them cheaper by watching for deals

I'm just not ready for SSD yet. I had a Raptor as my OS drive years ago and really miss it. I'm most likely going with the Raptor as my OS drive with another two 1TB WD Black Drives, one for inside the box and the other as external backup.

i went from 15,000RPM SCSI discs, trust me there is no comparision, less heat, power usage, no noise, plus vastly greater speeds.

I have considered an SSD. I use Adobe Lightroom as my photo editor and would like to keep the pics on an SSD to see how much faster they would load etc. I always backup my data, so an SSD with my pics on it would be regularly backed up and no fear of losing anything. I guess I just worry about an OS crash if I was to use one as my C drive.

My decision is not really grounded or backed up by hard facts, I'd just like to stick with spindles for a little while longer.

Just get a quality SSD, from Crucial or Corsair. Nothing wrong with the raptors, great drives, but a waste of cash these days.

I would get an SSD, and Raptors only if I really had nothing better to do with the money (considering you are going to use it in your desktop only).
    I'm using 7200rpm drives only for storage (NAS and external enclosures) and my SSD's are in raid 0 almost 2nd year.
    To be human is to choose.

It is better to die on your feet
    than to live on your knees.

- Emiliano Zapata

Quote Originally Posted by RaisinCain View Post
    There is nothing wrong with the drives that I recommended. Hell, why not just get a SSD. Why do you seem to be crapping on my posts lately?
    I see far too many SSD failures to ever recommend them, even to my worst enemies. Only SSDs I'd get if I had to get one, Intel or Crucial M series....or perhaps I'd consider a Samsung as they've been somewhat reliable.

Call it what you want, I'm simply pointing out the FACTS. You made a false statement..that the WD Red drives have a better warranty. WD Red = 3 year warranty. WD Raptor = 5 year warranty. Uhm....McFly? And show me where I've "crapped" on your posts lately.

Also in case anyone is somewhat concerned about at least acceptable performance, the standard for desktops is a 7,200 rpm hard drive. The only market for 5,400 rpm hard drives these days is in cheap entry level laptops, and DVRs.

The history of the Raptor HDD...they are made with enterprise grade "guts", true enterprise grade bloodlines are in the Raptors, even more so than the WD Black editions. The MTBF of Raptors is even higher than the Black editions.

So yes for the purpose of the OP and other readers of this post, I am going to make sure the correct facts are posted about the drives...including warranty.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

In case there is any interest I did go with the Raptor and bought it today. I'm going to try WD's clone software (for the first time) once this drive arrives and give that a whirl.

I see far too many SSD failures to ever recommend them, even to my worst enemies. Only SSDs I'd get if I had to get one, Intel or Crucial M series....or perhaps I'd consider a Samsung as they've been somewhat reliable.

Call it what you want, I'm simply pointing out the FACTS. You made a false statement..that the WD Red drives have a better warranty. WD Red = 3 year warranty. WD Raptor = 5 year warranty. Uhm....McFly? And show me where I've "crapped" on your posts lately.

Also in case anyone is somewhat concerned about at least acceptable performance, the standard for desktops is a 7,200 rpm hard drive. The only market for 5,400 rpm hard drives these days is in cheap entry level laptops, and DVRs.

The history of the Raptor HDD...they are made with enterprise grade "guts", true enterprise grade bloodlines are in the Raptors, even more so than the WD Black editions. The MTBF of Raptors is even higher than the Black editions.

So yes for the purpose of the OP and other readers of this post, I am going to make sure the correct facts are posted about the drives...including warranty.
    I call BS on the SSD's comment because I don't see the failures. I was only stating general info on the reds and blacks. 3v5 year warranty's- duh. Seems like every time I have a recommendation you have to try and 1 up me.

Different people different taste.

I don't really care as much about the warranty unless they will recover the lost data, the data are worth more to me than the price of the HDD. I did try Seagate in the past and it always ended up broken, however I didn't have a single problem with WD.
    There is also RevoDrive it's more expansive but more reliable and very fast.
    To be human is to choose.

It is better to die on your feet
    than to live on your knees.

- Emiliano Zapata

Quote Originally Posted by Easto View Post
    In case there is any interest I did go with the Raptor and bought it today. I'm going to try WD's clone software (for the first time) once this drive arrives and give that a whirl.
    Works great, it's a customized version of Acronis True Image.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RaisinCain View Post
    I call BS on the SSD's comment because I don't see the failures. I was only stating general info on the reds and blacks. 3v5 year warranty's- duh. Seems like every time I have a recommendation you have to try and 1 up me.
    Based on your recent input....you can call BS all you want, you're just making that up as a way to disagree...but I doubt you see much for "real world experience".
    Go read up on tech forums where REAL TECHS that are out in the trenches every day talk about SSDs.

Only stating "general info"...uh..."what general info"? You specifically said "...better warranty"? Uhm...what part of the warranty is better? Please show us! We're all waiting.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Works great, it's a customized version of Acronis True Image.
    It was stupid easy to use. It went so fast and so easy I swear I though it wasn't working or something had happened. Connected the new drive to an external bay and copied the C to it. Removed the old, put in the new, made a couple of adjustments in the bios so that it booted to the new drive. Bingo. Stupid Easy. It couldn't have taken more than 10 minutes.