Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Actor Philip Seymour Hoffman found dead in Manhattan at age 46

Blog Entries

Unhappy Actor Philip Seymour Hoffman found dead in Manhattan at age 46

What a shame. He was a favorite of mine. He was imho a very fine actor indeed. Right up their with the best in the business.

Oscar winning actor, 46, found dead in his Manhattan apartment according to law enforcement officials
    A drug overdose is believed to be the cause of death
    The Wall Street Journal is reporting that Hoffman was discovered in the bathroom on the 4th floor with a needle sticking out of his arm

Won the Oscar for 2005 movie, Capote

Name:  Philip Seymour Hoffman.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  76.1 KB

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2sBzPnIto

---

Larry

What is with all of these "stars" dying lately? Really sad.

Quote Originally Posted by minir View Post
    What a shame. He was a favorite of mine. He was imho a very fine actor indeed. Right up their with the best in the business.

Oscar winning actor, 46, found dead in his Manhattan apartment according to law enforcement officials
    A drug overdose is believed to be the cause of death
    The Wall Street Journal is reporting that Hoffman was discovered in the bathroom on the 4th floor with a needle sticking out of his arm

Won the Oscar for 2005 movie, Capote

Name:  Philip Seymour Hoffman.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  76.1 KB

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2sBzPnIto

---

Larry
    ya well,sad for his family,yes,a loss for us fans,yes

I liked his acting,

but sympathy for him ? no not really,he died with a heroin needle in his arm,that's on him.

I bust my a$$ everyday to squeak out a living,and he has a dream fantasy career,fame,money,and he throws it away for heroin ?

Can you actually say that if you had his money and fame that the exact same thing couldn't have happened to you? Walk a mile, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisinCain View Post
    Can you actually say that if you had his money and fame that the exact same thing couldn't have happened to you? Walk a mile, sir.
    Sure he can say that. He just did. Some folks believe in living right. If I had money I wouldn't be a party *****. I would live comfortable, but **** all the partying.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Sure he can say that. He just did. Some folks believe in living right. If I had money I wouldn't be a party *****. I would live comfortable, but **** all the partying.
    Let me know when you get the money and the fame. Then reply back.

money doesn't buy happiness. He's human like everyone else and makes mistakes like everyone else. He was clean for 20 years and relapsed. It happens. Doesn't make him a bad person or some "******* rich guy". How DARE he not be happy when we don't have money for a Lamborghini. The nerve.
    There is security in fearlessness.

Quote Originally Posted by 9mmprincess View Post
    money doesn't buy happiness. He's human like everyone else and makes mistakes like everyone else. He was clean for 20 years and relapsed. It happens. Doesn't make him a bad person or some "******* rich guy". .

I hear ya,but I guess I should add that whether you're rich & famous or just a regular guy like me,heroin is not worth throwing away any type of life IMO.

How DARE he not be happy when we don't have money for a Lamborghini. The nerve.
    I think you know I didn't mean my comment that way.
    Last edited by Dan; 02-02-14 at 05:06 PM.

Blog Entries
    imho Geoff Pevere captures the man and his talent perfectly. We all have flaws and though he died at his own hand we all lost a talent not easily replaced, someone unique, someone enduring, someone who made movie watching and the telling of a tale much more believable and entertaining.
    ----

Philip Seymour Hoffman: a unique and prickly talent by GEOFF PEVERE
    ---

... The news of Philip Seymour Hoffman’s death in New York at age 46 marks an instant diminishment of American movies. He was that good, that essential, and that irreplaceable.

Had he come along a decade or two earlier, he might have been a major movie star. Not hampered by prettiness or vanity, and completely unafraid to play characters who wore their neuroses, defects and generally unlovable characteristics on their sleeves, he was like a ’70s movie star slightly out of sync with the times.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/...ticle16653896/

----

Larry

Blog Entries
    An even more complete telling of a career that was far more reaching than most know, myself included and i'm a major fan who for some reason am having an emotional reaction to his passing that i don't completely understand myself. Just sad to lose such a talent & it seems a nice person as well, who gave back more than he took.
    ---

Philip Seymour Hoffman, Actor of Depth, Dies at 46
    ---By BRUCE WEBER

Philip Seymour Hoffman, perhaps the most ambitious and widely admired American actor of his generation, who gave three-dimensional nuance to a wide range of sidekicks, villains and leading men on screen and embraced some of the theater’s most burdensome roles on Broadway, died on Sunday at an apartment in Greenwich Village he was renting as an office. He was 46.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/03/mo...6.html?hp&_r=0

---

Larry

Another one bites the dust, good riddance. I have zero sympathy for Celebs doing drugs.
    Sorry to burst your bubble but money would buy Me a lot of great things but it would not buy Me drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow View Post
    Another one bites the dust, good riddance. I have zero sympathy for Celebs doing drugs.
    Sorry to burst your bubble but money would buy Me a lot of great things but it would not buy Me drugs.

I still don't remember this guys career? I can't recall one movie I have seen him in. 50 movies and I haven't seen one? I am not trying to trash the guy or talk bad about the dead. I just am confused how this guy got past me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    I still don't remember this guys career? I can't recall one movie I have seen him in. 50 movies and I haven't seen one? I am not trying to trash the guy or talk bad about the dead. I just am confused how this guy got past me.
    you've never seen
    almost famous
    money ball
    capote

Heroin is bad! doesn't matter how much money you have. I do feel sympathetic in the case of a 16 year old girl who i grew up with who died from a Heroin overdose. She didn't have a drug problem, she had a problem dealing with peer pressure from her new found "friends" and died the first time she tried it.

He knew what he was doing and gets no sympathy from me.
    I hear "addiction is a disease" < what a load of crap!

I was going to post a link to that thread, but the SG search results for "bullsh|t" were too numerous

sometimes you have to think outside the box to get inside the box .

Of course heroin is bad and dangerous. Everyone knows that. So is smoking. So is drinking if you take it too far. But heroin also makes you feel amazing. It takes away all your pain, physical and mental. Everything is ok - more than ok, everything is beautiful, and you just feel so GOOD. But...doing heroin and dying from it makes you a dirty junkie, but smoking cigs and getting cancer is cause to say "awww, how sad."? what bothers me is the judgement of this guy. No one knows what's going on in another person's mind, or how come that persons sorrow can't be assuaged by healthier means than a needle and spoon. Maybe his brain is wired differently. He had years and years clean - maybe he had a ton of stress on him and it was just too much to bear? Most likely he told himself "I'm not going to do this long, I"ll get back into rehab soon."

Dan - I know you didn't mean it that way, but it just seems like some people don't think "celebs" have any feelings. I have known a couple minor celebs - no one anyone would know, I'm not saying I knew Beyonce or something But they were people just like anyone else, and no matter how much money they had, at the end of the day they still had girlfriend problems, their parents still got sick, they still felt sad and hopeless sometimes. I know in this society we're raised to think that becoming a celeb solves all your problems and makes you happy, but it really doesn't. In a lot of cases it adds new ones. Imagine constantly wondering if people are with you for you, or what they can get from you. We don't have to worry about that.

I've just seen a lot of nasty stuff said about PSH in the last couple days and it's been bugging me, because by all accounts he was a beautiful, talented soul and a nice man, and I LOVED his work. He was amazing in Boogie Nights. Whether you're gay or not, who hasn't made a pass at someone and been rejected, and sat in their car saying "god, I'm an idiot". He really sold it in this scene, and that's when I fell in love with his acting. I'm going to miss him.

OMG I said, is that Mark Wahlberg? Well yes it is. Ha, never seen the movie.

Oooh, Nina Hartley too..... luv her pron stuff... she's hot!

You HAVE to see Boogie Nights. So good. I have it on dvd, might do a rewatch today.

Dan - I know you didn't mean it that way, but it just seems like some people don't think "celebs" have any feelings. I have known a couple minor celebs - no one anyone would know, I'm not saying I knew Beyonce or something But they were people just like anyone else, and no matter how much money they had, at the end of the day they still had girlfriend problems, their parents still got sick, they still felt sad and hopeless sometimes. I know in this society we're raised to think that becoming a celeb solves all your problems and makes you happy, but it really doesn't. In a lot of cases it adds new ones. Imagine constantly wondering if people are with you for you, or what they can get from you. We don't have to worry about that.

I've just seen a lot of nasty stuff said about PSH in the last couple days and it's been bugging me, because by all accounts he was a beautiful, talented soul and a nice man, and I LOVED his work. He was amazing in Boogie Nights. Whether you're gay or not, who hasn't made a pass at someone and been rejected, and sat in their car saying "god, I'm an idiot". He really sold it in this scene, and that's when I fell in love with his acting. I'm going to miss him.
    yes he was talented & like I said I liked his movies a lot,

and yes I get it ,that ALL people have their demons,(I've been there & done that) , but we also ALL have choices.

and yes,Boogie Nights is a killer movie.

You HAVE to see Boogie Nights. So good. I have it on dvd, might do a rewatch today.

ya i have seen it about 4 times i guess, great movie

every time i hear that rock song, sister christian , it reminds me of that one scene with the firecrackers LOL

That's my favorite scene

& everytime I hear "I've got a brand new pair of rollerskates" I think of the scene with Dirk and Rollergirl