Thread: Ethernet cables

Ethernet cables

Can some one suggest me the best networking cable for home networking use

Any Cat 5 or 6 cable will work just fine.

thanks but you tell me which one should i buy cat5 or cat6

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Depends what you're doing.
    CAT 5 is the old standard, it's pretty much disappearing. It is not officially certified for gigabit speeds, but for short runs it will do gigabit OK.
    CAT 5e officially supports gigabit speeds for all 100 meters worth of the ethernet standard max length. It costs a little bit more money than CAT 5.
    CAT 6 adds support for 10Gigabit networks. And if you're doing lots of intensive video across your lan, CAT 6 has better performance for gigabit, less crosstalk, you can push the network harder. Doubt a home network will do that....but just have to mention it. To further confuse things, you have CAT 6a and CAT 6e....but since you're talking about a home we'll not spend that kind of time.

With a price different of ~15-20% between the 3 main flavors..it's your call, your budget. Hard to give a recommendation without knowing what you're going to use your network for. Just surfing the internet and on a budget? Cat 5 will be fine.
    Going to have a little network and perhaps do some DVR streaming across it in high def? Transfer large files in a SOHO office? Spend a little more and do 5e or 6..and future proof it.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Blog Entries
    In my opinion, there is no excuse for running Cat 5 anymore, except for short runs between 100Mbps devices. The basic difference between Cat5, Cat5e, and Cat6 is the tighter specs in later standards - you can see specifics in the comparison table here: http://www.speedguide.net/articles/h...ork-cables-118

In essense, Cat6 supports higher frequencies with reduced signal loss. This plays more significant role in longer cables and faster connections (Gigabit LAN transfers, for example). I've seen many issues with non-brand Cat5 cables in longer runs (over 50m) in office buildings, such as interference by fluorescent lights, packet loss, disconnects, etc. you name it.

Cat6 is simply better, it supports Gigabit LANs, and is future-proof for small price overhead.

Just my 2c

Thanks so much for all the help and replies really Iam really thankful to everyone for the help thanks a lot!

Cat5e Will Be Fine

Quote Originally Posted by robertkey View Post
    Thanks so much for all the help and replies really I am really thankful to everyone for the help thanks a lot!
    Cat5e would work great it really is amazing decent price and good performance.

Way to liven up a 7 month old thread!

Cat5

Dear
    so if we want to know about all information of networking cables and ethernet like CAT 5 so from which work i know all knowledge ?