Thread: Been a long time! Also a general question for you guys.

Been a long time! Also a general question for you guys.

Thanks to phillip for helping me get this ole account back. Sad to hear about blebs, I was creeping on my mutch2 account and that a ****** thing to read about. RIP

My question for you guys, and I'm sure everyone has a different opinion.

I'm one of the few people who hate laptops, I have my laptop on a desk, that never moves, and stays there permanently. I really want to get a desktop, and was curious as to any insight of how much I should be spending, any spec specifics? I've been out of the game for a long time, and just been using this dell inspiron 1525 for the last.... 5/6 years?

It doesn't have to be a powerhouse for gaming, mostly for emails, videos, mild games maybe, but nothing too intense. I do want it to be fast, and able to have a lot of things open at the same time.

Mostly for work / school.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks fellas!

Hey

There are a lot of great deals out there. The video card is one of the items that can really ratchet the price of a high-end system up, so you can save a lot of money by getting a mid-level card.

Do you want to build your new system or buy it already complete?

re

Quote Originally Posted by Mutch View Post
    Thanks to phillip for helping me get this ole account back. Sad to hear about blebs, I was creeping on my mutch2 account and that a ****** thing to read about. RIP

My question for you guys, and I'm sure everyone has a different opinion.

I'm one of the few people who hate laptops, I have my laptop on a desk, that never moves, and stays there permanently. I really want to get a desktop, and was curious as to any insight of how much I should be spending, any spec specifics? I've been out of the game for a long time, and just been using this dell inspiron 1525 for the last.... 5/6 years?

It doesn't have to be a powerhouse for gaming, mostly for emails, videos, mild games maybe, but nothing too intense. I do want it to be fast, and able to have a lot of things open at the same time.

Mostly for work / school.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks fellas!

Laptops rocks i dont know why do you hate laptops well there lots of on-line shopping sites where you can shop for a good gaming pc

No, not looking to build it myself as I've never really done it alone, and would be paranoid of either buying the wrong parts, or completely screwing it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutch View Post
    No, not looking to build it myself as I've never really done it alone, and would be paranoid of either buying the wrong parts, or completely screwing it up.
    I shop constantly at Office Depot & staples too,and I see desktops that actually have good specs being either clearanced out or moved out cheap for new units all the time,sometimes at really killer prices,I bought my wife's DT that way and she loves it.

just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by robertkey View Post
    Laptops rocks i dont know why do you hate laptops well there lots of on-line shopping sites where you can shop for a good gaming pc
    He's not looking for a good gaming PC. I hate laptops too.

Check out www.techbargains.com

They just link to other sites, whether Staples or Dell, whatever, when those companies are having good deals.

If you have a friend that can help you build it it's not that hard. You don't save much money but can hand pick the components and have much better options for expanding and upgrading down the road.

Hell, I'm still using the same system I put together 10 years ago, although the case and maybe some of the RAM are the only original parts.

Instead of buying a new system I upgraded the processor 3 times (last one free), the monitor 2 times, the hdd many times, the video card 3 times (last one free), the MB (last one from StoneCat, not free but much cheaper than retail), the power supply, etc.

Knowing how to swap things out yourself lets you take advantage of upgrades in the workplace or from friends. They have no use for them, and although the parts might not be the latest and greatest, they're better than what you had.

It's a fun hobby.