Thread: Every Launch Reconfiguers Microsoft Office Pro 2007

Every Launch Reconfiguers Microsoft Office Pro 2007

I am using Windows 7 PRO, and Microsoft Office PRO 2007. Windows and Office has been updated at the MS Update site. I don't think the problem is associated with an update or any other recent installation. EVERY TIME I launch a Office product like Word, Excel, or Publisher, a Configuration Progress Screen Appears that runs for several minutes and eventually the product is launch keeping all recent files intact. I did a repair installation to no avail. There are no viruses and my Registry is regularly maintained. To proceed to the launch, I am X-ing out of the configuration and get a message like "Are you sure you want to stop the installation?" I X out of that too and each product still launches okay. Any ideas on how to eliminate the Configuration Process on each launch. Thanks.
    Tom

Uninstall Office and re-install it.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Give some of these "fixit" tools a shot
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2528748

Whenever I install Office for clients, I always do the "custom" install, and select all computers to run from the computer. The default install often leaves out components that later have to be added, and can lead to issues like this.

If the FixIt tools don't work, try uninstalling it, and then doing a custom install, selecting all to run from my computer. And then patch it up with latest service pack and remaining updates.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Office Configuration on every launce of am Office Product

Quote Originally Posted by RaisinCain View Post
    Uninstall Office and re-install it.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I tried Microsoft Fix-It that did not resolve the problem, so now I will proceed to Uninstall and Reinstall. Thanks again, particularly for the prompt reply.
    Tom
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Give some of these "fixit" tools a shot
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2528748

Whenever I install Office for clients, I always do the "custom" install, and select all computers to run from the computer. The default install often leaves out components that later have to be added, and can lead to issues like this.

If the FixIt tools don't work, try uninstalling it, and then doing a custom install, selecting all to run from my computer. And then patch it up with latest service pack and remaining updates.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Thanks for the suggestion. I tried Microsoft Fix-It that did not resolve the problem, so now I will proceed to Uninstall and Reinstall. Thanks again, particularly for the prompt reply. No more time tonight but I will proceed in the morning and post the results.
    Tom
    Tom

Also, put the Office disc in the drive and let the installation finish if you haven't tried that yet.

There is also a 'Microsoft Office Diagnostics' tool under 'Microsoft Office Tools' in the Start Menu. It has helped me in the past with similar issues and usually takes 5-10 minutes depending on PC speed.

You can also launch them in Safe mode by holding down the CTRL key before launching the program to eliminate any add-ons as the cause.

Continuing Saga of Office Configuration

1/1/14 6:38 PM ET
    I'm just getting back to this problem. I had uninstalled Office using Control Panel but became concerned that I did not backup my Outlook files. Using Acronis Restore, I restored my entire drive as it was prior to the Office uninstall, so I am back to where I was. Both Word and Excel still go into the Configuration Process EVERY time they are launched. This problem does NOT happen with Publisher, Outlook, or any other Office product when launched - just Word & Excel. Tomorrow, I will individually backup my Outlook files (inbox and sent), then again do the uninstall, to follow up with the Office re-install as previously advised. I will keep you informed. Thank you for your continued advice. AND Yes, prior to doing this, I will also try the MS Office Diagnostic tool. Thanks.
    Tom

Maybe quit doing custom installs as well? I don't see the need to be honest.

Do you have the current service pack installed as well? You can extract the SP files to the Updates directory from the Office disc. Instructions below.

http://www.howto-outlook.com/otherpr...reamo2k7sp.htm

Uninstall and re-install with the SP integrated and see if that helps as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisinCain View Post
    Do you have the current service pack installed as well? You can extract the SP files to the Updates directory from the Office disc. Instructions below.

http://www.howto-outlook.com/otherpr...reamo2k7sp.htm

Uninstall and re-install with the SP integrated and see if that helps as well.
    The slipstream process is very interesting to me since, as I understand it, it will incorporate the service pack updates along with the installation. I will read further on that link and try to use it. Thank you. Both Excel and Word have SP3.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by loop2kil View Post
    There is also a 'Microsoft Office Diagnostics' tool under 'Microsoft Office Tools' in the Start Menu. It has helped me in the past with similar issues and usually takes 5-10 minutes depending on PC speed.

You can also launch them in Safe mode by holding down the CTRL key before launching the program to eliminate any add-ons as the cause.
    I'm sorry to report that Office Diagnostics did not find any problems. It went through 15 levels, took about 10 minutes, and reported no problems. Thanks for the tip, though. Launching Word and Excel after running the diagnostics still each had the Configuration Process. It was certainly worth a try.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    The slipstream process is very interesting to me since, as I understand it, it will incorporate the service pack updates along with the installation. I will read further on that link and try to use it. Thank you. Both Excel and Word have SP3.
    If Excel and Word are reporting as having SP3 then you are up to date (so to speak). I still question why you need to do a custom install.