Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New SSD drive

New SSD drive

Bought a 128 GB SSD, should be delivered to my work tomorrow.

Running Windows 7 Home Premium, currently on a 1 TB hdd.

Am I correct that my options are to:
    1) Pull all the storage data off my hdd to get it down to under 128 GB and clone it
    2) same, but take an image
    3) Clean install?

Will take a lot longer but am tempted to go with the clean install.
    Any issues I should know of installing from the same Win7 disc that my current system is running?
    Once the SSD is running the original hdd will be data only, probably pull everything off it onto a spare external, reformat it, and have it as the main data drive.

Thanks

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Clone it if you want to save time. Using the free Acronis software from Seagate or WD...whichever your original drive is.
    Or many brands of SSD makers have their own free cloning software.
    128 gigs is tight....so yeah you'll want to pull all your data from it. Depending on what programs you have on there...possibly uninstall some.

Clone Windows over, or reinstall...whichever your choice is.
    If you clone it...simply go to your system properties, Windows Experience...and re-run the assessment tool (link in lower right). Vista/Win7/Win7 will detect that it is now installed on an SSD drive, it will properly set its TRIM, and disable auto defrag. With Windows XP you had to go do that manually. No longer need to do that after XP.

Once it's on the new drive, attach your original source drive. it will no become drive D or E or whatever.
    Now move your Libraries over to that. This will make the new spot for your Docs, Pics, Music, Downloads...thus freeing up space on the system drive.
    Also add that drive to your virtual memory (pagefile.sys) so that it's system managed on both drives. if drive space gets tight you can disable the pagefile on your C drive. despite whatever errors Windows might try to scare you with.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Thanks, will probably have some more questions for you later

do not defrag a SSD and make sure trim is enabled.

i leave superfetch on as well, enjoy your new drive, which one did ya get ?

http://blog.tune-up.com/tips-and-tri...mize-your-ssd/

Consider getting a 2nd identical SSD and going with a Raid 0. trust me, you will thank me.
    USAF RETIRED

if it is a samsung drive, run the Samsung Magician software, RAPID, it uses system memory to cache thing or something, really improved my benchmarks scores.
    single drive here.......

Blog Entries
    You may want to run some of the tweaks suggested here as well: http://www.speedguide.net/articles/s...ed-tweaks-3319

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

Hey Mark

Got this http://www.rakuten.com/prod/sandisk-...2AM&adid=18007 for $64.99
    Last edited by Humboldt; 12-06-13 at 02:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    You may want to run some of the tweaks suggested here as well: http://www.speedguide.net/articles/s...ed-tweaks-3319
    Will check it out, thanks Philip

Quote Originally Posted by Far-N-Wide View Post
    Consider getting a 2nd identical SSD and going with a Raid 0. trust me, you will thank me.
    Running that myself. Bios post takes longer then it does for windows to load. (Stupid raid bios and motherboard bios)

Even with Trim, I still leave 10% unpartitioned to give it some wiggle room for even wear

Quote Originally Posted by Far-N-Wide View Post
    Ooooff....you're a brave man trusting RAID 0 on a computer...with the incredibly..insanely..high failure rates I see on SSDs (unless they're Intel or Crucial....Samsungs seem decent)
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Blog Entries
    Generally I buy Intel/Crucial/Samsung as well.. However, I bit the bullet and bought a 256Gb Corsair Neutron on Black Friday, it replaced an Intel 160Gb as an OS drive. I've heard good things about their controller quality and general reliability, but only time will tell. They come with 5 year warranty. What do you think of those Cat ?

Generally I buy Intel/Crucial/Samsung as well.. However, I bit the bullet and bought a 256Gb Corsair Neutron on Black Friday, it replaced an Intel 160Gb as an OS drive. I've heard good things about their controller quality and general reliability, but only time will tell. They come with 5 year warranty. What do you think of those Cat ?
    Time will tell...I believe that's their first line that they actually made themselves. Prior SSD drives from Corsair were just rebranded Samsungs. I actually don't see them come through our clients. The SSD's we see are in firewall appliances (usually running various flavors of *nix), and in ultra books with healthcare clients. I see wicked high failure rates on the *nix appliances...I actually now refuse to order them with SSDs...I insist on getting spindles. I swear the failure rate of SSDs in those was >50%. With the ultra books...most of what I saw were Samsung SSD's in the huge fleets of Dell Latitude e4200 units out there..they did fairly well, probably around 5% failure rates.

You wanna ditch that Intel ship it up here.

I just got a new laptop for myself..came in yesterday, Thinkpad T431s that our wholesaler was having a firesale on...~1100 laptop for under 700 bucks. I got a few spare SSDs on our shelf..but I am NOT putting one in. Got a fast single platter 6 gig sata Hitachi spindle in her with the large format platter..she freaking flies. Believe that particular model is the fastest 2.5" spindle drive out on the market.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Blog Entries
    Nah, the Intel already got repurposed last night to my HTPC for faster boots

As far as SSDs for firewalls/appliances - First, they should be using enterprise quality SLC drives. Second, I don't think anyone cares enough to tweak the *nix OS to reduce writes for SSDs, linux does a ton of on-disk logging by default. I have one linux box with the OS on an old SSD (low power NAS rig running Fedora), but I put all the logs in shared memory and a couple of other simple tricks to considerably reduce background disk writes.

Oh, and I'd still slap a SSD on that laptop! Even with a fast 2.5" hdd... Modern SSDs would run cirlcles around it in term of power consumption/speed/shock resistance with comparable reliability. I wouldn't do anything crazy like RAID 0, but SSDs do have their uses and laptops are a very good match imho

As far as SSDs for firewalls/appliances - First, they should be using enterprise quality SLC drives.
    I fully agree with you there...surprisingly we aren't seeing that. If they crash on a client and we rebuild them, we are putting WD RE or Seagate ES drives back in.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Ooooff....you're a brave man trusting RAID 0 on a computer...with the incredibly..insanely..high failure rates I see on SSDs (unless they're Intel or Crucial....Samsungs seem decent)
    i ran my 2 older corsair 128GB drives for about 2 years on raid-0 no trouble, of course i did have weekly images from true image just in case things went poooof LOL

i ran my 2 older corsair 128GB drives for about 2 years on raid-0 no trouble, of course i did have weekly images from true image just in case things went poooof LOL
    You're a lucky guy.
    I've run RAID 0 myself with spindle drives in the past. Just on gaming rig...so no loss if it went tango uniform.
    But with SSDs I see sheer volumes of failures. Doing just about 20 years of SMB support, our client list is huge. I'm not basing this on just seeing several failures.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

You're a lucky guy.
    I've run RAID 0 myself with spindle drives in the past. Just on gaming rig...so no loss if it went tango uniform.
    But with SSDs I see sheer volumes of failures. Doing just about 20 years of SMB support, our client list is huge. I'm not basing this on just seeing several failures.
    I personally am aware of the risk but I have everything using folder redirection so I don't really have to worry about anything.

You're a lucky guy.
    Been running two intel 330 120 gig SSD's in raid 0 now without a hitch on my rig......get sequential r/w of 900 megabits . to save the life of the SSD's I modified the registry to use a segate 2 terabyte drive that i use for my program files and user profiles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilog B
    Loading the dishwasher at brembo's house means bringing the fiancee a sixpack home.