Thread: How do I *slow down* Windows downloads?

Question How do I *slow down* Windows downloads?

Ok so this is a odd question.

I have a DSL line and its shared by several computers. One downloads mp3s, the other I play games on. The one that is downloading on Napster is hogging the bandwidth, making gaming impossible. How can I slow it down? is there a Windows program that I can just install to slow that computer down to 10K/sec max or whatever?

Thanks!

Dirk

Not sure if there is a program that will slow downloads. But I have the same issue I can't run Napster and play games either. Napster is a hog. The only thing I do is not have anything running when I play games.
    Words of Wisdom:
    "Man who scratches ass should not bite fingernails."

Red face

I heard somewhere that a server running wingate splits bandwidth evenly amoung client computers. I dont know if this is true or not.

I don't recall if WinGate provides this feature or not, I used it long ago and can't remember! you can check their website at www.deerfield.com

Other than that, bandwidth throttling is typically handled by a high end Cisco routers. You won't find any consumer grade hardware solutions for what you want to do and finding a piece of software that will accomplish this will be difficult if not impossible