Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The FREE Antivirus thread

I have found bitdefender to be a pain in the ass. Creating account and it will not work until you sign in. Does not seem to work for me for what ever reason.

Will give it another try some other time, maybe.

Advanced Member
    I tried to use Bit Defender Free, helping a friend with an XP computer. What I did not like was, one time after I loaded it I click the SCAN section and there was a button for QUICK SWEEP, but then I could never get that back, it only said IDLE or if I right-clicked the tray icon I had the option for a full scan. Not happy with it's user interface.

Quote Originally Posted by Qui-Gon John View Post
    I tried to use Bit Defender Free, helping a friend with an XP computer. What I did not like was, one time after I loaded it I click the SCAN section and there was a button for QUICK SWEEP, but then I could never get that back, it only said IDLE or if I right-clicked the tray icon I had the option for a full scan. Not happy with it's user interface.
    If you haven't already uninstall then reinstall, I did because after finally updated, next time I signed on updated again as it had been doing before but desk icon was gone so I reinstalled. Icon is back and is updating pretty much every time I sign on to internet the way it was before updating froze. They have place to tell them why you are reinstalling after survey.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by CableDude View Post
    I have found bitdefender to be a pain in the ass. Creating account and it will not work until you sign in. Does not seem to work for me for what ever reason.

Will give it another try some other time, maybe.
    It will work...for 30 days..and then you need the account and have to sign in. Did you create an account and activate it? Easy to create an account, receive the e-mail...click to activate....and then go to the BD client and "sign in" with that e-mail address and password you created when signing up for the account. All in all...about 30 maybe 45 seconds...
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

It is a very simple interface. designed for typical home users....really just runs on auto pilot. Not an AV product for a more advanced user that likes to dig in there and play with settings. Another good AV product that does have some more configuration options is Panda Cloud Free.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    It will work...for 30 days..and then you need the account and have to sign in. Did you create an account and activate it? Easy to create an account, receive the e-mail...click to activate....and then go to the BD client and "sign in" with that e-mail address and password you created when signing up for the account. All in all...about 30 maybe 45 seconds...
    Exactly what I did. Weird thing is when I right click in the lower right corner to enter email and pass....it like rejects it.

Yet I can go to mybitdefender.com and sign in with the same email and pass and get in with no problems at all.

SG Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by CableDude View Post
    Exactly what I did. Weird thing is when I right click in the lower right corner to enter email and pass....it like rejects it.

Yet I can go to mybitdefender.com and sign in with the same email and pass and get in with no problems at all.

Been using it since Sept. I think it is great.

There is updated version of free Malewarebytes out, I like the new control panel. I have several months with free Bitdefender very happy with it.

Many techs reporting issues with the latest MalwareBytes (what is it...2.9?)
    However...MalwareBytes is technically not an antivirus program...it's an antimalware program that compliments an existing antivirus program.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Advanced Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mspl View Post
    There is updated version of free Malewarebytes out, I like the new control panel. I have several months with free Bitdefender very happy with it.
    Is this an updated version of the new one they put out in March/April or is that the one you are talking about. A lot of problems with the one from the spring, I still use 1.75 because of that. Be nice if they finally fixed those issues with a newer update.
    Last edited by Qui-Gon John; 06-18-14 at 03:42 PM.

Is this an updated version of the new one they put out in March/April or is that the one you are talking about. A lot of problems with the one from the spring, I still use 1.75 because of that. Be nice if they finally fixed those issues with a newer update.
    May be the free equivalent of that, is version 2.0.2.1012 what problems (I've only had this version a few hours) have people had? The only thing that bugged me about my earlier version was very slow to open when you wanted to update, this loads much faster. They had list of issues it fixed over earlier when asking if I wanted to update, but don't remember what they were.

Advanced Member
    Several issues. For one, many people are upset with the new look, think it's too much like a lot of the malware it is trying to find. I can overlook that, but I do not like that it is not as easy to navigate nor to tell if you are doing a quick scan or a full scan. For one thing, they renamed them, for no good reason. Also, and I saw this happen myself, if you try to cancel a scan, it can (and did for me), freeze the entire program, had to kill the process in Task Mgr.

There is a Malwarebytes Forum and many people commented about issues. Reps from the company said they were taking note and would fix things, but not yet, as far as I know.

Here's that link: http://blog.malwarebytes.org/news/20...i-malware-2-0/

Also, I don't like that for people who choose to buy the Pro version, it is now an annual cost vs. a one time cost, like it was prior to this latest release. It is still one of the biggest tools in my arsenal, just I stay with 1.75.

Bump....cuz I added a few more to the list.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Advanced Member
    I was wondering how folks are feeling about the new Malwarebytes Anti-Malware since a couple years of this new version have gone by. I still have been staying with the Tried & True v. 1.75. I see the NEW version still looks the same as when it was released. But I was wondering if they worked out any of the bugs, like it freezing the computer, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by Stacylu View Post
    That's real cool, well known anti-virus software combination list. I'm using of Advanced SystemCare http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcareper.php to optimise PC with antivirus gadgets as well.
    IOBit...mild junkware/scamware...frowned upon by IT professional. It usually snowballs into a bunch of "me-too-ware" getting added to the system, bordering on the "rogue antivirus" category.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I just moved back to Avira, like it so far. Interface is pretty simple, good option control.

I only use after the fact ones like Malwarebytes. They seem to be more trouble than the virus's.