Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soup season

Soup season

I love soup, and I love making soup, so I'm always glad this time of year when it's soup-making season

Just made a huge pot last night, ended up making another meal while it was getting put together, but it's worth it.

Saute and add to simmering water:
    Potatoes,
    Garlic, onion, carrots, celery,
    Red bell pepper, swiss chard (red, yellow, and white, from the garden), mushrooms, tomatoes (store-bought and a handful of the last yellow pears from the garden).
    Couple cups of brown rice, little bit of wild rice.

Few pinches of salt, tons of green/white/black pepper, olive oil, couple glugs of red wine.

Superb. Ended up setting the massive pot out in my carport on the cement steps to cool down before putting it in the fridge.

Enough to last several days.
    Great for dunking cheese sandwiches, I also like heating it up and adding a fish filet or some shrimp.
    Takes a long time to make but very straightforward, and saves a lot of time in meal prep down the road.

Sounds awesome Humby! I made some chicken noodle soup w/ dumplings last weekend. I need to make some vegetable beef with rice soon.

I know you had a few tugs off of the wine while you were making it. LoL

Quote Originally Posted by RaisinCain View Post
    Sounds awesome Humby! I made some chicken noodle soup w/ dumplings last weekend. I need to make some vegetable beef with rice soon.
    I enjoyed it, about to get ready for meal number 2 now

Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    I love soup, and I love making soup, so I'm always glad this time of year when it's soup-making season

Just made a huge pot last night, ended up making another meal while it was getting put together, but it's worth it.

Potatoes,
    Red bell pepper, swiss chard (red, yellow, and white, from the garden), mushrooms, tomatoes (store-bought and a handful of the last yellow pears from the garden).

Few pinches of salt, tons of green/white/black pepper, olive oil, couple glugs of red wine.

Superb. Ended up setting the massive pot out in my carport on the cement steps to cool down before putting it in the fridge.

Great for dunking cheese sandwiches, I also like heating it up and adding a fish filet or some shrimp.
    Takes a long time to make but very straightforward, and saves a lot of time in meal prep down the road.
    I make a pretty good spicy tortilla soup with shredded turkey or chicken,& I fry my own corn tortilla chips to put in it.

I know you had a few tugs off of the wine while you were making it. LoL
    Nah, wine's for cooking. It took quite a few High Lifes to get everything squared away though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I make a pretty good tortilla soup with shredded turkey or chicken,& I fry my own corn tortilla chips to put in it.
    Hey Dan,
    Few things beat home-made tortilla chips. I'm sure that's a damn fine soup.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Also did an awesome chicken 'n dumplings last weekend. Started with an oven roaster chicken, seasoned, convection roasted, took off the meat, broke up all the carcass...tossed in salted water with some onions, celery tops, some branches of thyme....slow simmered that for the whole day to make the broth.

Did up the rest of the thick soup and dumplings at the end of the afternoon.

This past weekend did a Shepards Pie.

Next weekend...gonna do a chicken Adobo (Philippean recipe)
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Anyone ever had a pasty?

https://www.google.com/search?q=past...ient=firefox-a

Pretty simple but throw some brown gravy or ketchup (or both) and you have a great meal.

Love me some Shepards Pie! I can't put the veggies in though (have to make that one separately). GF won't touch it. LoL

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Also did an awesome chicken 'n dumplings last weekend. Started with an oven roaster chicken, seasoned, convection roasted, took off the meat, broke up all the carcass...tossed in salted water with some onions, celery tops, some branches of thyme....slow simmered that for the whole day to make the broth.

Doh, you reminded my my soup has a ton of rosemary!
    I took down the spice jar to hit up the tomatoes. Forgot it had a flip lid (beer), unscrewed the top and dumped about a teaspoon of rosemary.

Worked out fine though

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post

I took down the spice jar to hit up the tomatoes. Forgot it had a flip lid (beer), unscrewed the top and dumped about a teaspoon of rosemary.

Worked out fine though

Worked out fine though
    I can't get enough of my fresh basil/rosemary/oregano in my cooking that we grow in our yard !

it's all so good !

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I can't get enough of my fresh basil/rosemary/oregano in my cooking that we grow in our yard !

it's all so good !
    Rosemary is damn good. I love the line out of FireFly (awesome series) Cooked up a bunch of tomato slices.
    The important thing is the spices. A man can live on packaged food from here 'til Judgment Day if he's got enough rosemary.
    Basil's damn good too, smells great. Love it on eggs, and whatever you call tomatoes/mozz/basil

Rosemary is damn good. I love the line out of FireFly (awesome series) Cooked up a bunch of tomato slices.

Basil's damn good too, smells great. Love it on eggs, and whatever you call tomatoes/mozz/basil
    I eat fresh basil everyday on my sandwich

Love good fresh rosemary...on chicken, on lamb, on beef. MMMmmmm....can't have too much. Lots of people don't like it, but I love it.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Yes....anything with meat and I'm all over it. But related...Jamaican Beef Patties....basically a spicey pasty.
    Other Mediterranean islands have similar versions.,,,but authentic Jamaican beef patties...YUM!
    Guinness for Strength!!!

love my fresh herbs I grow in my yard ,I use them almost everyday,made some bbq'ed herb encrusted ch breasts with garlic powder & paprika & sunflower oil lastnight,mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    these 3 are my favorite herbs

I love glistening wet breasts!
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Potatoes,

Where's the Rutabaga?

Must-have for me in soups and stews