Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you do for a living?

I manage a help desk for students at a local college and also own my own business (yes, even though some of my IT responses may seem out of the ordinary). I am doing extreme multitasking at work (and also remote in from home) so my responses may seem odd but my heart is in the right place.

Any reason my customer went from a DOCSIS 1.1 modem to a 3.0 (which she received a letter saying that if she didn't upgrade her modem her service would stop today) and the tech couldn't activate it? I spent about an hour and a half on the phone and she ended up getting a tech dispatched (and I just hooked up the old modem and all was fine before I left). Thanks for any help!

Sorry. This was directed at Far-N-Wide.

I sent you a private message.
    USAF RETIRED

I am a Headend Tech for Comcast. Very different than my MOS's of 20 years in the Corps. I like being on the engineering side of the house as we get to plan for, test & implement the latest, greatest equipment. I am in the middle of upgrading our routers that provide HSI & telephony. Moving to the latest advanced converged routers from ARRIS. They will eventually provide internet, phone & video reducing our equipment, power consumption & space by quite a bit.

RaisinCain, we are also getting rid of the legacy carrier which means all the DOCSIS 1 modems are toast! Been warning customers for a year on that. We are launching 12 downstream channels & eventually 16. Lots to bond and spread out for capacity easing.
    USMC RETIRED

Steve

Tacoma Guitar Forum

I work in the medical diagnostic IT field as a PACS Administrator & IT Director managing a huge server full of medical records and images for 2 mobile-based medical leasing companies that "lease" ultrasound equipment and accredited US technicians to small medical practices around the state. It's 2 companies actually.. One for Ultrasound and another for Nuclear Medicine / stress testing. They were a business client of mine a few years back, but when I almost closed my consulting firm due to lack of consistent income during the economic crisis and got a job offer over in Sarasota, I almost moved away but this particular client didn't want that, so they hired me and told me I could also use the officespace to run my company on the side. so win win!!

I've been here 3.5 years now and have successfully developed a mobile data workflow that has become the first hospital approved method (in the state of FL) of sending encrypted DICOM images from remote sites (medical offices) so that our turnaround time from patient exam to final report in the referring doctors hand is almost unbeatable, particularly in the mobile environment. Aside from workflow management, I also take calls from all of our medical technicians in support of their devices and I train and support new doctors on how to access our systems efficiently. I've also gained extensive experience with GE Vivid-i Ultrasound systems along with Mindray ultrasound devices and Mirage Nuclear imaging systems so that many times I perform the fixes without having to put in a service call to GE, etc.

I also re-launched my IT consulting firm this year on a much smaller scale than I did in 2006, just as a bit of extra income or "play money".

It's just a hobby right now, but I'm also an avid disc golfer, president of a local disc golf club, and I do a lot of diplomacy work with the local municipalities to help grow the sport and will be assisting with a new course design soon.. and with about 3 or 4 more strokes knocked off my average I should be able to hang with the pro players and start playing for cash, although small amounts, but still tons of fun outdoors away from my desk and computers!
    "Nobody's invincible, no plan is foolproof, We all must meet our moment of truth." - Guru

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by koldchillah View Post
    I work in the medical diagnostic IT field as a PACS Administrator & IT Director managing a huge server full of medical records and images for 2 mobile-based medical leasing companies that "lease" ultrasound equipment and accredited US technicians to small medical practices around the state.
    Good to hear from ya Matt....often wonder how things are going for ya down there.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Leatherneck View Post
    I am a Headend Tech for Comcast. Very different than my MOS's of 20 years in the Corps. I like being on the engineering side of the house as we get to plan for, test & implement the latest, greatest equipment. I am in the middle of upgrading our routers that provide HSI & telephony. Moving to the latest advanced converged routers from ARRIS. They will eventually provide internet, phone & video reducing our equipment, power consumption & space by quite a bit.

RaisinCain, we are also getting rid of the legacy carrier which means all the DOCSIS 1 modems are toast! Been warning customers for a year on that. We are launching 12 downstream channels & eventually 16. Lots to bond and spread out for capacity easing.
    Funny as my customers cable modem is still operational. Maybe not "toast". She just got the notice about 3 weeks ago. Maybe Comcrap is trying to get unsuspecting users to lease their modem. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisinCain View Post
    Funny as my customers cable modem is still operational. Maybe not "toast". She just got the notice about 3 weeks ago. Maybe Comcrap is trying to get unsuspecting users to lease their modem. Just a thought.
    Well, aside from wondering why it's "funny"....you have to understand how ISPs rollout upgrades. It doesn't happen to every_single_customer of theirs all at once. Upgrades get rolled out in regions.

And obviously they do give their customers some time...they're not going to send a notice and then pull the plug in 5 days or something short like that, they do give them time....long periods of time actually.

There's only so much backward compatibility happening, and old equipment holds things back. Everyone wants freaking gigabit to their door...yet so many people try to cling to their old equipment. The old equipment has to get pulled before everyone enjoys the latest in speeds.

Comcast, nor the vast majority of other cable ISPs, force you to lease their modems. You're perfectly able to purchase your own modem and have them provision it for you, takes like 10 minutes on the phone.

I work with more ISPs than several people can get together and write down on a long list....and Comcast is one of the better ones to work with.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Well, aside from wondering why it's "funny"....you have to understand how ISPs rollout upgrades. It doesn't happen to every_single_customer of theirs all at once. Upgrades get rolled out in regions.

And obviously they do give their customers some time...they're not going to send a notice and then pull the plug in 5 days or something short like that, they do give them time....long periods of time actually.

There's only so much backward compatibility happening, and old equipment holds things back. Everyone wants freaking gigabit to their door...yet so many people try to cling to their old equipment. The old equipment has to get pulled before everyone enjoys the latest in speeds.

Comcast, nor the vast majority of other cable ISPs, force you to lease their modems. You're perfectly able to purchase your own modem and have them provision it for you, takes like 10 minutes on the phone.

I work with more ISPs than several people can get together and write down on a long list....and Comcast is one of the better ones to work with.
    I'm happy that you have had a "positive" experience with Comcrap in your dealings with them. I understand how structured roll outs work. She got the letter literally 3 weeks ago. The tech guaranteed her that her old equipment would work regardless after she couldn't even activate her new 3.0 modem. Look at the complaints about Comcrap. Funny, she is still on her original equipment. Seems like an upsell to me. 10 minutes over the phone my ass. Never even got it activated. Hooked up the original equipment and everything was fine. The tech was an idiot. Same old "unplug this", "plug in this" and wait crap.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisinCain View Post
    About the 2nd week of December (this date may change) we think when this is shut off. The folks who thought we were kidding will be balling about our crappy service. Slower data links take more server process time than faster links. So it's better to get a faster modem. you don't have to go faster mind you. just get new modem and if you decide you need more speed. The older modem will just not do more than it's doing now.
    USAF RETIRED

Thanks for the posts, this is what I was hoping for...not just what you do but what your job consists of and what makes it interesting.

koldchillah, what discs do you throw?

That's the first book I never wrote (15 years ago).
    Basics of disc golf.

Used to be a daily thing. First bought disc was a 175 gm Shark. Still have it. Followed by a 171 gm Cheetah, and an Avatar soft putter.

Just let a friend grab a bunch of discs from my carport. New for me (12 years), ancient for him. KC Pro Eagle, first run Roc,, maybe a Valkarie, and an old Eclipse. He brought them by a local shop for kicks and they offered him $75 apiece

Helped set up a local course years ago, and bought my Wall City bag off the designer of Arcata CA's Redwood Curtain (also the name of my favorite brewery and the best beer in town, but that's a different story).

Uninsured for your health
    I do whatever makes money...
    Quote Originally Posted by Three Rivers Designs
    America! Love it or give it back!

I just sit around all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    Thanks for the posts, this is what I was hoping for...not just what you do but what your job consists of and what makes it interesting.

koldchillah, what discs do you throw?

That's the first book I never wrote (15 years ago).
    Basics of disc golf.

Used to be a daily thing. First bought disc was a 175 gm Shark. Still have it. Followed by a 171 gm Cheetah, and an Avatar soft putter.

Just let a friend grab a bunch of discs from my carport. New for me (12 years), ancient for him. KC Pro Eagle, first run Roc,, maybe a Valkarie, and an old Eclipse. He brought them by a local shop for kicks and they offered him $75 apiece

Helped set up a local course years ago, and bought my Wall City bag off the designer of Arcata CA's Redwood Curtain (also the name of my favorite brewery and the best beer in town, but that's a different story).
    Good local breweries and good disc golf courses usually go hand in hand. When I make it out your way some year, you'll have to be my course guide. Sounds like you had some old school plastic from back in the day. Disc collectors go nuts for old molds that aren't made anymore so there's definitely a market for it. I picked up some old discs at a garage sale last year for $1 each and went down to the local pro shop and sold them all for $30 each!! For the most part I don't really collect discs, I just throw them and if I don't, I give them away to people who are just getting into the sport. Note to folks who tried disc golf years ago and have discs sitting in their garage: THEY ARE PROBABLY WORTH SOMETHING NOW! lol

I throw all sorts of discs for different types of courses/conditions but my favorite drivers are probably Wraith/Destroyer/Valkyrie/Katana. I'm also really starting to like the new Prodigy discs but I haven't owned them long enough to give an opinion on how well they hold up. For mid-range I throw mostly Rocs and I putt with Aviars.

I've been playing for 7 years, but I only started playing competitively for the last 3 years. In fact, I'm running my first tournament as TD this upcoming weekend in DeBary. The stress of planning this event is killing me this week with all else I have going on at work! www.debaryopen.com PDGA listing: http://www.pdga.com/tour/event/15874 I have a few top rated touring pros coming into town so this should be fun to watch these guys chuck plastic over 500ft and land within 10 feet of the basket every time.
    "Nobody's invincible, no plan is foolproof, We all must meet our moment of truth." - Guru

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Good to hear from ya Matt....often wonder how things are going for ya down there.
    Hey Brian, Good to see you still kicking butt in SMB IT all while answering hundreds of internet questions per week. Thats consistency, dedication, and a brain full of knowledge and experience right there! You're defintely on my list of folks to visit whenever my wife and I get around to planning our "New England roadtrip vacation" some year. We've talked about it many times and it will happen, just a matter of when. I now have 4 friends in Connecticut and all 4 of you are spread out all over that little state so I should get the full CT tour when we finally make it up there. We'll definitely get together for a few pints of Guinness someday! Also, if you're ever in Orlando area for a convention or anything, hit me up.. I'm usually around. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by koldchillah View Post
    Hey Brian, Good to see you still kicking butt in SMB IT all while answering hundreds of internet questions per week. Thats consistency, dedication, and a brain full of knowledge and experience right there! You're defintely on my list of folks to visit whenever my wife and I get around to planning our "New England roadtrip vacation" some year. We've talked about it many times and it will happen, just a matter of when. I now have 4 friends in Connecticut and all 4 of you are spread out all over that little state so I should get the full CT tour when we finally make it up there. We'll definitely get together for a few pints of Guinness someday! Also, if you're ever in Orlando area for a convention or anything, hit me up.. I'm usually around. Cheers!
    Yeah long time since we shared a few beers man!
    Look forward to catchin' you if you make it up here in CT.
    Will be down in FL over the holidays....but way way down, rented a private condo on the beach in Marathon in the Keys. I'll see if I can put Duval street on overload!
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    I work for a defense contractor. I specialize in testing Combat Systems on Aegis both CG (Ticonderoga Class Cruisers) & DDG (Arleigh Burke Class Destroyers) My latest work is in Ballistic Missile Defense (BMD) I do everything from light off testing all the way to At Sea Trials and support until sail away. Here is a video of IAMD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMaOxAqT2Qc

I also sit many consoles in Combat Information Center.
    Anti Air Warefare (AAW)
    Surface Warfare (SUW)
    Missile Shot Supervisor (MSS)
    Radar System Controller (RSC)
    Anti Submarine Warfare (AWS)
    Commanding Officer (CO)
    Tactical Action Officer (TAO)

21 years doing this and I absolutely love it.
    I need to know, have you worked on DDG 94 recently? I'd love to know if I've met you in person and just don't know it.

What do I do? I'm in the US Navy - which basically realistically boils down to sweepers and fresh water wash downs. But no, seriously, I'm a Sonar Technician who supports the AN/SQQ-89(v)15 sonar system on a DDG. I troubleshoot and repair (old) computer equipment, troubleshoot networks, and generally try to keep Vicky running for more than 15 minutes at a time. I track, classify, and engage target submarines in a variety of ocean environments... and I also maintain the torpedoes and tubes for firing. On the side, I deal with the armory (issuing, receiving, and maintaining small arms), as well as try to pick up any small jobs the ship has available.

It sounds cooler than it is, but ... well, it's an interesting experience regardless.

Last edited by Paft; 11-22-13 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Double Post

Wow, so many interesting jobs you all have going on.

I moved away from hardware / networking and I've settled in as a software developer mainly working with JVM based enterprise architecture applications; we are a small shop so it's full stack work which keeps it interesting and appeals to the generalist in me.

I do some systems admin / 'devops' as necessary; we have a great sysadmin already so it's more so out of interest than necessity.

I precommed the Nitze. But I have not been on board seen it left Bath Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by Paft View Post
    I need to know, have you worked on DDG 94 recently? I'd love to know if I've met you in person and just don't know it.

What do I do? I'm in the US Navy - which basically realistically boils down to sweepers and fresh water wash downs. But no, seriously, I'm a Sonar Technician who supports the AN/SQQ-89(v)15 sonar system on a DDG. I troubleshoot and repair (old) computer equipment, troubleshoot networks, and generally try to keep Vicky running for more than 15 minutes at a time. I track, classify, and engage target submarines in a variety of ocean environments... and I also maintain the torpedoes and tubes for firing. On the side, I deal with the armory (issuing, receiving, and maintaining small arms), as well as try to pick up any small jobs the ship has available.

It sounds cooler than it is, but ... well, it's an interesting experience regardless.