Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you do for a living?

What do you do for a living?

I've sold pet supplies for the past 10 years.
    We're a walk-in store and one of the first online pet supply stores.

Fill in at the registers, train new employees, step in when there are any problems.
    Manage inventory, handle the buying on the majority of our larger accounts and about 2 dozen smaller ones, try to optimize the appearance and upkeep of our store.
    Bank runs, running stock level inventory, catching mistakes while trying to minimize my own.

Juggled with the reps that come into our store, new accounts, a bit of book keeping, a bit of whip cracking.

Great staff, constantly trying to balance the interests of the store with maintaining friendships.

Always trying to keep on top of new products on the market. Lots of crap out there but always new things worth bringing in.

Keeping inventory low while keeping enough stock on hand.
    Hard to do as 1 internet order can wipe out a month's stock of in-store sales.

Supplier returns, price comparisons between suppliers, special orders for things we don't normally stock.
    Maintaining margins while being competitive against local and online stores.

my company repairs vandalized cars(like stolen stereo kinda stuff),we are sublet by auto insurance co's to replace & repair broken into cars,and we do the repairs mobile(we come to you),
    this includes head units,DVD,bluetooth,headrest & overhead monitors,subs,amps,alarms,insurance adjusting,etc,etc.

I have worked for the same co for 19 years and have been in this business since 1978,in one form or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    my company repairs vandalized cars(like stolen stereo kinda stuff),we are sublet by auto insurance co's to replace & repair broken into cars,and we do the repairs mobile(we come to you),
    this includes head units,DVD,bluetooth,headrest & overhead monitors,subs,amps,alarms,insurance adjusting,etc,etc.

I have worked for the same co for 19 years and have been in this business since 1978,in one form or another.
    Interesting work Dan, I thought you were in the cable business for some reason.

What's the worst vandalism you've seen?

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    IT Services for SMBs.
    Translated...basically means we provide all IT related services for Small to Medium Businesses. I have been doing this since the days when Windows 3.x was around and '95 was just hitting the shelves.

Had worked for a couple of places, and then my colleague and I have been doing our little LLC for...going on 11 years now. We just hired our 5th staff a few months ago.

"IT Services" means everything from top to bottom as far as computer needs. We "manage" everything for our business clients. From their domain registration, to their DNS, to their e-mail, firewall, servers, wireless, network security, workstations, laptops, backup, e-mail filtering. VPNs, wide area networks, antivirus. Not only selling and installing, but managing over the years too.

Our typical client ranges from a small office of several staff, to businesses that have around 100 employee. Once a business gets beyond 100 employees in staff, they typically have their own in house full time IT staff therefore we're not needed. However we've been called to consult on big projects that are beyond the tech abilities of the in house guys.

Kinda make our own hours, I enjoy not being stuck to a cubicle job controlled by a time clock. Often work from home as much as I can.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Blog Entries
    Hi Humboldt

I've been retired since 1982 (major heart attack brought about retirement as i suffered lack of oxygen to the brain & therefore ended up with short term memory loss) i could no longer function in my line of work as model numbers and names etc at times are problematic.

Prior to 1982 i was in sales & management in the TV, Stereo industry for many years. Prior to that i was in the Ball Bearing, V Belting & Power Train industry for several years.

---

Larry

I do:
    www.turrisi.org

Been doing construction in many forms for over 40 years, not that challenging anymore. The computer work actually relaxes me
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

First 17 years I was in the 'Less than Truckload' industry mostly as an over the road dispatcher. I have since started working in the IT at the bottom. I do front line support for a company with about ~1000 end users spread out all over the country. Quite a few are field service and sales so I spend a lot of time using Dameware and or logmein. I also order most computers for end users as well as company cell phones(almost all iPhones now, in the process of getting rid of all the Blackberrys). Most of my time is spent ordering product and dealing with cellphone issues.

Network administrator for a university. I can do pretty much anything we have going on here from running/administering exchange, checkpoint firewall, load balancers, layer 2 and 3 switches, vpn gateway, we have 1180 access points on 16 controllers, 3 remote sites, and SAN. We finally hired another exchange admin so I don't have do to that anymore until the position is vacant..I hate exchange. We are moving from a cluster environment on exchange 2007 to Office 365 in January. (Can't wait). I mainly do the firewall stuff, remote sites, VPN, layer 3 stuff, load balancers, and projects such as getting rid of Cox or other ISPs for our remote sites and putting them on PtP connections from the main campus. We use Ubiquiti equipment for that and the stuff is awesome for the money. Next project we have is HUGE....we are changing vendors from Nortel/Avaya to Cisco. Everything is getting replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by fastchevy View Post
    We are moving from a cluster environment on exchange 2007 to Office 365 in January. (Can't wait). .
    You'll change your mind! ;7
    Although Exchange 2007 is my most hated version...Office 365 aint' smooth sailin' !

Ubiquiti ROCKS! Can't wait for their version 3 controller to FINALLY come out (almost starting to feel like Duke Nukem 3D did..vaporware!). But yeah love their stuff.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Although Exchange 2007 is my most hated version...Office 365 aint' smooth sailin' !
    Man...that sucks.
    We have a huge number of mailboxes and each person gets 300mb of email storage.
    Students get Gmail, but we are moving them off Gmail and onto Exchange (Office 365) with everyone else.....they will probably HATE that.
    Sounds like it won't be a fun transition at all.

Custom IT services specilizing in WLANs and web servers.

Word. I drank the Kool-Aid for a couple small clients- complete PITA. Just what I feared- very few tools to troubleshoot, lack of accountability; horrid India based support. And it is not just on the SB versions. We have a small sales client office, one of their largest clients is a huge multi-national, that switched over to 365 ent last spring. They (the ent client) can't send email to one of my clients in the SMB. Have been dealing with this for weeks- MS can't send to MS. They call when they feel like it, have repeat the same silly steps over and. No resolution. The interface is horrid. With SBS done in a couple months, it's gonna' be tough.
    Observe everything...focus on nothing..

IT Services for SMBs.
    Translated...basically means we provide all IT related services for Small to Medium Businesses. I have been doing this since the days when Windows 3.x was around and '95 was just hitting the shelves.
    Same as CAT. My own business since 2000.
    Observe everything...focus on nothing..

Quote Originally Posted by twwabw View Post
    Word. I drank the Kool-Aid for a couple small clients- complete PITA. Just what I feared- very few tools to troubleshoot, lack of accountability; horrid India based support. And it is not just on the SB versions. We have a small sales client office, one of their largest clients is a huge multi-national, that switched over to 365 ent last spring. They (the ent client) can't send email to one of my clients in the SMB. Have been dealing with this for weeks- MS can't send to MS. They call when they feel like it, have repeat the same silly steps over and. No resolution. The interface is horrid. With SBS done in a couple months, it's gonna' be tough.
    What I am doing from now on, reselling through Appriver. They tack on 2 bucks/head/month on top of the MS price, but you gain their top notch support.
    Best migration tool....migrationwiz.com
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I do maintenance at an 11 story condo, been there 12 yrs. April of next yr.

One of my main duties is caring for our beautiful 50,000 gallon pool,

and occasionally coming in to find a strange black man sleeping there dressed in a beach umbrella and nothing else... I kinda get involved in security issues also

I need to find that video of the crazy - whacko guy who rented there awhile, he was eventually evicted for vandalism... did I mention his father was a brain surgeon.

I.t

I work for a Logistics company. We are much smaller than the big boys like UPS etc. We cater to clients who want a more personal touch and accountability when things go wrong. I'm more in the domestic trucking division although I am responsible for domestic airfreight out of our office in Los Angeles. I would say we are a medium sized company. I think we give FedEx about $1 mil in revenue a year and that doesn't include all the other carriers.

I work for Comcast as a Tier 3 repair tech for Business services. Mostly data, some voice support and lately explaining applications we provide that other companies gave to us to give to our customers. This job is more like a Hobby since I retired from 25 years of working from the Government. It keeps me busy and feel good heading home knowing I've helped someone getting this or that working. You have to know a lot more than basics. Adding security systems, load balancers and figuring out Intermittent data problems is my favorite part of the job.
    USAF RETIRED

I work for a defense contractor. I specialize in testing Combat Systems on Aegis both CG (Ticonderoga Class Cruisers) & DDG (Arleigh Burke Class Destroyers) My latest work is in Ballistic Missile Defense (BMD) I do everything from light off testing all the way to At Sea Trials and support until sail away. Here is a video of IAMD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMaOxAqT2Qc

I also sit many consoles in Combat Information Center.
    Anti Air Warefare (AAW)
    Surface Warfare (SUW)
    Missile Shot Supervisor (MSS)
    Radar System Controller (RSC)
    Anti Submarine Warfare (AWS)
    Commanding Officer (CO)
    Tactical Action Officer (TAO)

21 years doing this and I absolutely love it.

SG Enthusiast
    I'm a bicycle police officer in a medium sized SEC college town in Alabama. I work for the city, but all of us bike officers are stationed on campus. I ride a Trek Mountain bike and sometimes a T3 from http://www.t3motion.com. Currently counting down my last 8 year until retirement.
    Looking for work............