Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: free anti virus software ?

free anti virus software ?

so what is a good anti virus spoftware these days, i have been on MSE for a long time and wonder if i should try something better now a days.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Bitdefender has a good free one.
    Panda Cloud also.

MSE ain't as strong as it used to be, Microsoft admittingly pulled back on it...guess they're afraid of the anti-trust whiners.

I still use MSE. Keep my web players up to date, use Google Chrome (which as a sandbox feature)....so I'm not worried much.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

thanks cat man dude

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Bitdefender has a good free one.
    Panda Cloud also.

MSE ain't as strong as it used to be, Microsoft admittingly pulled back on it...guess they're afraid of the anti-trust whiners.

I still use MSE. Keep my web players up to date, use Google Chrome (which as a sandbox feature)....so I'm not worried much.

Same here. I also keep the free version of Malwarebytes updated and on standby for whatever MSE misses.
    "Today is a black day in the history of mankind."

- Leo Szilard

I just downloaded free version of Malewarebytes, does the scan feature stay after free trial or is it part of preview of paid?

Quote Originally Posted by mspl View Post
    I just downloaded free version of Malewarebytes, does the scan feature stay after free trial or is it part of preview of paid?
    Malwarebytes is not antivirus software, it's just anti malware software that focuses on adware/spyware and is meant to compliment your antivirus software.
    The real time projection scanning feature and auto updates is part of the pay for "Pro" version of Malwarebytes, and if installed with the trial it will stop functioning unless you purchase a Pro license.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I have MSE too, just as well the real time will go away takes long time for start up after I installed it.

SG Enthusiast
    Bitdefender Internet security and Malwarebytes pro work great together.

^ They're not free though. I recommend Comodo AV/IS and Malwarebytes free edition. Pretty good experiences with those 2 so far.

I still prefer Avast or Avira for the freebies...the popups and sounds are annoying but can be mostly configured out.

decided to just stay with MSE for now as i really had no troubles with it for years, thanks for the advice everyone.

How come every time you update Malewarebytes be it 3 times a day or once every 2 days the size is the same 7,158.12KB?

I love using CIS (Comodo Internet Security) but I stayed with version 5.12, I dont like all the extra bells and whistles with 6.0 and all those virtual settings, too much configuration needs to be done and ain't nobody got time for that. MalwareBytes free edition is superb for an on-demand scanner. Also keep a copy of AdwCleaner downloaded from BleepingComputer cause it removes those stupid Conduit Search stuff and other bogus redirects that's been popping up with all these updates to DivX and other things that package them in.

On friends and family pcs, I've stuck with Avast Free and moved all the settings to Automatic selection for detections and highest heuristics, but to make copy in Quarantine incase they detect legit Windows files and try to repair/delete them. I feel that CIS is too much for the average pc user cause all the pop-ups about this and that and their never to sure on what to select.

I will suggest you avg 2014 free version its amazing it cleaned all the viruses of in my computer it really is amazing

AVG...ugh, that attempt an an antivirus product is on the highest percentage of infected computers that come in for cleaning. One of the "blindest" AV products out there.
    Not to mention bogs down computers, and that browser plugin bar...causes so many issues we have to fix with browsers.
    And the constant "nags" to upgrade to the pro version that free product forces the poor end users to suffer through...
    Guinness for Strength!!!

AVG...ugh, that attempt an an antivirus product is on the highest percentage of infected computers that come in for cleaning. One of the "blindest" AV products out there.
    Not to mention bogs down computers, and that browser plugin bar...causes so many issues we have to fix with browsers.
    And the constant "nags" to upgrade to the pro version that free product forces the poor end users to suffer through...
    I definitely agree. I am currently installing BitDefender and Malwarebytes (just because it works and is free).

SG Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisinCain View Post
    I definitely agree. I am currently installing BitDefender and Malwarebytes (just because it works and is free).
    I use both paid ones and it didnt block that conduit crap for me?

Quote Originally Posted by 24giovanni View Post
    I use both paid ones and it didnt block that conduit crap for me?
    You use that uTorrent stuff right? Next time you're installing it, proceed slowly..."bundled" with it is "search protect"..which you probably clicked "yes" to doing the default install. They were bundling search protect with their client most of last fall. Conduit is really just a PUP for browsers that changes your search engine, not really a "virus".
    Guinness for Strength!!!

SG Enthusiast
    You use that uTorrent stuff right? Next time you're installing it, proceed slowly..."bundled" with it is "search protect"..which you probably clicked "yes" to doing the default install. They were bundling search protect with their client most of last fall. Conduit is really just a PUP for browsers that changes your search engine, not really a "virus".
    Not on that PC. On another one, sure. The PC with the conduit issue doesnt see anything torrentwise or any thing similar to it. I stay away from bundled websites as best I can.

That Conduit Search and Search Protect, their bundled with tons of programs, ex: DivX, Auslogics Defrag, uTorrent just to name a few. A lot of AV don't really detect it so I use that Adwcleaner to disinfect that crap =/