Thread: New $240 Router, Torrent Clients Still Overload Router

Cabledude Avatar Fan purecomedy's Avatar

New $240 Router, Torrent Clients Still Overload Router

I've written on here in the past that all I want is a router that won't drop connections with everyday activity and downloading torrent files. I'm not talking anything crazy like downloading 9 files at once with a ton of connections, I'm talking a few files at standard Torrent client settings.

I have an ASUS RT-AC68U and actually was able to download about 3 torrents at once in uTorrent for a few weeks after I bought it. Then a few days ago I couldn't even get a torrent to start downloading in uTorrent without a connection failure at my router. I was able to use Tixati to download about 200 MB of a file before my router disconnects.

So I'm looking for suggestions about how to approach this problem.

1. The router is defective if it worked fine for a few weeks? Is there a way that I can test the integrity of my router?
    2. My ISP changed some settings?
    3. It's actually my cable modem that is some kind of limitation that backs up and causes failure in my router?
    4. Very recent updates in torrent clients have introduced some new settings that don't work with my router/ISP?

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Hunch is your ISP is throttling you. I'm assuming you power cycled the router?
    Try a modified firmware made especially for Asus units called "Merlin".
    If you don't want to try that....there is new firmware available for your model from Asus..just came out
    http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/sh...ad.php?p=89511

Tims review of that unit shows it handles over 30,0000 simultaneous connections, and over 700 megs throughput 1x way, over 1200 megs bidirectional throughput...so I'm sure the router is not your bottleneck...that thing has huge balls.

What device is in front of it? (make modem of ISPs modem/gateway).
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Interesting, I've updated the firmware twice already so I'll try the latest one but as you say I have a hard time believing something this advanced could be bogged down by one torrent file download.

Correct, the only way to get the internet connection working again is to power cycle the router. A few times had to do a cold boot and cycle the cable modem as well it seemed (sometimes I'm impatient and decide to turn power off on all 3, come back in 2 minutes and turn all 3 back on).

Cable Modem Model: Motorola Surfboard SB5102
    Last edited by purecomedy; 11-07-13 at 05:08 PM.

YeOldeStonecat, thanks it did just appear to be 2 bad firmware updates in a row. I've run a few torrents to grab some episodes of some tv shows that I missed and there were no issues.