Thread: So I nearly casued a Cop car to crash

So I nearly casued a Cop car to crash

Sitting at a stop light in My 56 V-dub bug, the motor is a little above regular with an above average loud exhaust . At Idle the engine has this nice Lop, lop, lop throaty sound, I blame the cam . A city cop car pulls up next to me, he's checking out my 4 inch white walls. I rev the engine a little and give him the nod / tip my head to the light, he smiled and chuckled. I lit out a little faster then a smooth start in 2nd gear. I started pumping my arms and shaking my body side to side, like in the Fred Fintstone mobile . The cop lost it and was laughing so hard he nearly wrecked into the car behind me. I looked in the back mirror, started to slow down. He was still laughing so hard, he just waved me on.
    USAF RETIRED

I love it when they're good sports about things like that. I once had a Yugo and did something similar.
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces people into thinking they can't lose. -Bill Gates

Holy sh*t! A Yugo? I haven't heard that word since like '89 or '90. LoL

I needed a work car and one of the store managers asked me if I wanted it, so foolishly I said yes. Bought it for $200. Like driving a large go cart. Thing got through snow pretty darn good. Good gas milage, but that's about it as far as the good things about it. Other then that, it was a piece of junk. Mine was an 88 Yugo GV.
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces people into thinking they can't lose. -Bill Gates

Thumbs up

56?

Great story. What size motor and what kind of carb(s)? I had a 69 with a 1914cc 20+ years ago when I was broke, but I've always loved the older bugs and one day I'd like to grab an old one and do it properly.

Brian

love it
    There is security in fearlessness.

Quote Originally Posted by DV View Post
    56?

Great story. What size motor and what kind of carb(s)? I had a 69 with a 1914cc 20+ years ago when I was broke, but I've always loved the older bugs and one day I'd like to grab an old one and do it properly.

Brian
    1776CC, single solex 34 carb I think... ( the stock one) slightly bigger jets, 044 heads from CB performance and after the cop incident. I switched to dual quit pack. The other exhaust was pissing off the neighbor. Oh the cam was a 110 engle.
    USAF RETIRED

Quote Originally Posted by Far-N-Wide View Post
    1776CC, single solex 34 carb I think... ( the stock one) slightly bigger jets, 044 heads from CB performance and after the cop incident. I switched to dual quit pack. The other exhaust was pissing off the neighbor. Oh the cam was a 110 engle.
    I remember I had one of those off road exhausts for a while, (I think they were called Stingers). It did not last long though as it was too loud even for me as a teenager . I had the same cam, stock heads, and a single 40mm Delorto carb. I think you need to sneak a pair of 40's in place of the single, should make a nice difference, and add the fun of trying to keep the carbs balanced

Cheers - Brian

I had dual carbs but the mileage dropped to like 9 or 11. I could not turn them down (more air less fuel) enough to keep the engine running smooth with that cam. It lopped and had a ruff idle. So back to the stock carb with a little bigger jet and I'm back up to 18 and 20 MPG. Still peppy for a 57 year old car
    USAF RETIRED