Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 Hard Drives

2 Hard Drives

Can you have a os (XP) on one hard drive and something like Zorin or Ubuntu on the other on one computer?

Blog Entries
    Sure. You can even have them on the same drive, but it's easiest if they're on separate partitions.

The catch is, the system only boots from one drive/partition, so it would have to utilize a boot manager to show you an option which OS to boot. There are a number of tutorials about dual-booting, just be careful and backup your data if you don't feel confident you know what you're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    Sure. You can even have them on the same drive, but it's easiest if they're on separate partitions.

The catch is, the system only boots from one drive/partition, so it would have to utilize a boot manager to show you an option which OS to boot. There are a number of tutorials about dual-booting, just be careful and backup your data if you don't feel confident you know what you're doing.
    Thanks, was hoping would be as easy as taking current drive out installing blank putting the os on it put original back, use F12 boot menu. What is a good boot manager?

SG Enthusiast
    never mind

You don't need a boot manager if use 2 separate hard drives. Most bios have a boot menu where you can select which hard drive to boot. If both operating systems are on the same hard drive then you do need a boot manager. All linux distributions will install a boot manager in such cases.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Can I install the second drive and then load the Zorin on it, or do I have to remove the one already installed? I assume you don't set one to slave.

Remove the existing drive >
    attach the other drive >
    install linux >
    remove drive >
    attach both drives (if sata no need for master/slave, if IDE set each to master on separate channels or set master/slave on one channel).

Boot comp and access bios and set the boot options (select which drive should always boot first).

LRH

Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    Remove the existing drive >
    attach the other drive >
    install linux >
    remove drive >
    attach both drives (if sata no need for master/slave, if IDE set each to master on separate channels or set master/slave on one channel).

Boot comp and access bios and set the boot options (select which drive should always boot first).
    Great thanks, nice to hear you can set which to boot first I was thinking would have to choose at every stat up.

One of these was plugged into drive and mother board labeled SATA 1 do I need another for the second drive? Looking around SATA 1 and 2 are different versions so if this has to be plugged into both drives do I need a 2 headed one connected to SATA 1? http://www.ebay.com/itm/23-SATA-Hard...item1e655f7f97

After a little research I guess I need another sata cable (ordered) closest I could find was MB labeled 0 and 1. The install of Zorin on blank was easy and quick, but even if I had sata cable could not put both in at once till brackets for hard drive get here.

Meanwhile, just get an additional sata cable and lay the second drive on bottom of case or stand it up/hang...no worries.

LRH

Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    Meanwhile, just get an additional sata cable and lay the second drive on bottom of case or stand it up/hang...no worries.
    I thought about that was afraid might short out, cable and rails should be here by tues. I do want to play with it though, I like the Zorin better than XP and the wifi was as good as with XP. If others did not use computer would have left the Zorin drive in and put the XP back when stuff gets here.

It won't short out, but if concerned, lay it on a paper towel.

LRH

Got everything hooked up, the second drive does not show up when F12 is pressed just the original. Do I need to do something else?

Went into DRIVES the sata 2 port was turned off (the one it's plugged into), I turned it on thought would fix it still doesn't show up in boot menu. Maybe the sata cable is bad will swap them later to see.

Make sure SATA port 1 is turned on.

Just looked even though on board are labeled sata 1 and 2 in DRIVES see both one under sata 0 other under sata 1 both turned on. Was confusing because they are the same part number and size WD drives, but I see them there but just one in boot menu. I guess it can't be cable if I see it in drives. I saw another setting for drive control something about supporting older systems was either NORMAL (default) or other is on normal. Did not think that could have anything to do with it since both drives are identical sata drives, could that be what I need to change?

There is also in drives drive 3 (says something about PATA) is turned off the default is on, if I turn it on when I go to exit instead of booting goes to screen that says not present do you want to run utility not knowing what will happen I opt to go back to set up and turn it back off. Do I need to leave on and select continue?

I have to turn the drive with windows of and leave the zorin on to use it, on it now. Works for me but why don't I have both in boot menu?

At start of Zorin the list of boot choices one has something about XP, but even if I were to choose it and it was to boot that drive I have to have it's port turned off to see it.