Thread: Should a judge have the right to change a child's name?

Should a judge have the right to change a child's name?

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/n...,5368290.story

A Tennessee woman named her baby Messiah, but she and the boy's father couldn't agree on whose last name he should bear. So they went to court.

Except at a hearing in Cocke County Chancery Court on Thursday, Child Support Magistrate Lu Ann Ballew changed Messiah's first name.

"The word Messiah is a title, and it's a title that has only been earned by one person, and that one person is Jesus Christ," the judge told WBIR-TV, a local channel.
    Dumb name IMO, but the mother should have the right to name her child whatever she wants to.

Horrible decision that I hope and assume will be overturned.
    I disagree with the judge 100%.

I agree, Dumb way to name a kid but I guess it's your right. I've heard the name "Dash", that's not a name, it's a race. Lately it seems like parents are going out of their way to name their kids something that's 100% their own, or at least completely different than anyone else. Hell, you go to a 1st grade classroom nowawdays and I don't think you'd even find one Mark, Mike, David, Peter etc.

I agree,a parent has the right to name their kid what they want,

as stupid as some names are.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    I may feel the name is inappropriate...but apparently, based on the article above, it's a name that is fast growing in popularity...so apparently others like the name too.
    IMO, not a judges place to decide what names can and can't be used.
    How does that judge feel about the name "Jesus" (pronounced heh-SOOS) being very popular for decades in Hispanic culture.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I agree parents should have the right to name their child what they want, but if they can't decide on it like adults, and choose to go to court over it, I say let the judges have a say in it all.

yeah, this is unconstitutional and will be overturned. Judge is just looking for some publicity. People have the right to name their kids what they want.

although...

anyone remember that parent who named their kid Adolph Hitler a while back? CPS ended up taking the kid, they said it wasn't because of the name but because of other factors that showed it wasn't a safe environment.
    There is security in fearlessness.

Quote Originally Posted by 9mmprincess View Post
    yeah, this is unconstitutional and will be overturned. Judge is just looking for some publicity. People have the right to name their kids what they want.

although...

anyone remember that parent who named their kid Adolph Hitler a while back? CPS ended up taking the kid, they said it wasn't because of the name but because of other factors that showed it wasn't a safe environment.
    First think I thought of when I read this. I assume there were indeed other issues going on that made it an unsafe environment.

wonders if the Tennessee couple is black and the judge is Caucasian

i would call the kid Mypar Entsuck

I was going to post a link to that thread, but the SG search results for "bullsh|t" were too numerous

sometimes you have to think outside the box to get inside the box .

If I recall correctly, there are laws in Germany which mandate that the name of a child must both designate physical gender as well as not be harmful to the child socially-speaking (a 10 second google gave me http://german.about.com/library/blname_reg.htm , for what it's worth).

Fundamentally, I would side with parents' rights to name their larvae whatever they please. On the other hand, I can see how that can be abused to the point of being classified as proactive child abuse.

Colorful/cute/cool/eccentric names like Flower or Zephyr or Rainbow or Atari I have no issues with.

Naming a child Saladtosser or Coochflap or Meatspin or Brian pretty much guarantees misery in elementary/middle/high school and some degree of sociopathic skeletons in the closet. And the names I listed are intentionally tamed... try using your imagination after a few beers. The sky is the limit.

All that being said, if I had to pick a side it would be the side of parental liberty. Government already has way to much to say about how we live our lives (even if it seems reasonable on the surface). I just hope the parents who name their baby daughter Hasapenis understand the family legacy may involve a double murder/suicide.
    "Today is a black day in the history of mankind."

- Leo Szilard

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    Naming a child Saladtosser or Coochflap or Meatspin or Brian pretty much guarantees misery in elementary/middle/high school and some degree of sociopathic skeletons in the closet. And the names I listed are intentionally tamed... try using your imagination after a few beers. The sky is the limit.
    LOL I saw what you did there! "WANKER!" Ya still can't fly!
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Naming a child Brian pretty much guarantees misery in elementary/middle/high school and some degree of sociopathic skeletons in the closet.
    LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111111111

Just look at what it has done to SCat!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111

People really do get carried away with names. A bit more thought should be put into it as a child is not your personal joke.

As a note, SCat's real name is not Brian, it is ...Sue...

I don't know what it is like nowadays but when I was elementary school... you dreaded having a name that would rhyme with anything.

Naming a child Brian
    Who in their right mind would do that?

@ Faust

I was going to post a link to that thread, but the SG search results for "bullsh|t" were too numerous

sometimes you have to think outside the box to get inside the box .