Thread: Looking for help with FiOS connectivity and speeds - especially with wired connection

Looking for help with FiOS connectivity and speeds - especially with wired connection

Hello,

I'm looking for suggestions for improving my Internet connection speeds. The main problem I'm having is with a wired, ethernet connection to the router. I can connect wirelessly with my desktop pc, and the speeds are not too bad (though the upload speed is far short of the advertised), but when connected via ethernet cable, my connection is slower than molasses. According to Device Manager my NIC is working. Also, my wife used to be able to connect wirelessly with her laptop computer but she can no longer do so. Verizon swapped routers after their power supply unity for their ONT box malfunctioned, about 2 weeks ago. Prior to that incident, I was connecting fine via ethernet cable and she connected fine via wi fi. If not for a wireless USB adapter that I put in my desktop pc, I would have no working, usable Internet connection.

So here is some more info:

My current advertised internet speed is 50 Mbps/25 Mbps. I recently upgraded from 15/5 after my speeds started to slow down. At first I was getting close to the 15/5, then a few months later things slowed down.

Before getting FiOS, I had DSL service through EarthLink, and maybe my TCP settings are still set for DSL? Although I have run Verizon's FiOS Speed Optimizer.

Current speed tests are showing an avg. of approx. 20 Mbps/7 Mbps.
    Please note: Speed tests are being done via wireless USB connectivity; I cannot even run a speed test while connected via ethernet cable because the connection is way too slow.

ISP is Verizon, and type of service is fiber optic (FiOS).

Here are my current settings:

SpeedGuide.net TCP Analyzer Results
    Tested on: 2013.08.02 17:21
    IP address: 98.118.xxx.xxx
    Client OS/browser: Windows XP (Firefox 22.0)

TCP options string: 020405ac0103030401010402
    MSS: 1452
    MTU: 1492
    TCP Window: 1045440 (multiple of MSS)
    RWIN Scaling: 4 bits (2^4=16)
    Unscaled RWIN : 65340
    Recommended RWINs: 63888, 127776, 255552, 511104, 1022208
    BDP limit (200ms): 41818kbps (5227KBytes/s)
    BDP limit (500ms): 16727kbps (2091KBytes/s)
    MTU Discovery: ON
    TTL: 31
    Timestamps: OFF
    SACKs: ON
    IP ToS: 00000000 (0)

Router is Verizon's Actiontec MI424WR Rev. 1
    (This router also functions as a modem, so there is no separate router and modem like there is with DSL.)

My OS is Windows XP Pro

Rebooting the VZ router does not seem to help. All lights that are supposed to be on are on. I have tried numerous ethernet cables. I am close to being at my wit's end and would appreciate any suggestions.

Many thanks in advance!
    Last edited by ranatlas; 08-02-13 at 06:02 PM. Reason: forgot to specify that speed test results are with wireless connection, not wired

Latest speed test results: