Thread: 1 year since my mother died

1 year since my mother died

Funny how the brain works.
    I woke up at 4 AM this morning.
    Exactly, to the minute, when I got a call from my sister last year letting me know my mother passed.

The whole aging/time warp thing catches up to me every day, but this seems like yesterday.
    I can remember what I wore, what I did, where I went, what I drank and ate, who I talked to, what I said.

Tell your loved ones you love them.

I'm sorry Humboldt <3

Def. tell your loved ones you love them. And don't assume cos they're not sick that you're "safe" & don't have to worry about that stuff yet. Fate is capricious.
    There is security in fearlessness.

Blog Entries
    Humboldt my sympathies go out to you. It truly is amazing what the mind and heart control.

---

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    Exactly, to the minute, when I got a call from my sister last year letting me know my mother passed.

The whole aging/time warp thing catches up to me every day, but this seems like yesterday.
    I can remember what I wore, what I did, where I went, what I drank and ate, who I talked to, what I said.

Love you man!

I would be a train wreck if my mother died....gotta love the Moms.

I know what you're feeling,I can pretty much remember the day my mom passed away too,maybe not all the details you can about your story,my mom passed away 18 years ago,I still think of her everyday.

I lost my dad ,mmmm,3 years ago now I think.I don't think of him so much,we did'nt have a very good relationship.
    Last edited by Dan; 07-25-13 at 06:43 PM.

Tell EVERYONE that is close to you how you feel- you might have today but are not guaranteed tomorrow. Being kind to a random stranger doesn't hurt either.

I am truly sorry for your loss. This song always made me feel good when I had lost a loved one. I hope that you enjoy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E25t7pSU8AM
    Last edited by RaisinCain; 07-25-13 at 07:19 PM.

At the one year mark, I was still stunned. Delayed grief? I lost my mom 15 years ago and my dad 25 years ago. You know, I was such an A$$ to them and I regret all of it now. I often wish they were around to talk too.
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces people into thinking they can't lose. -Bill Gates

Blog Entries
    I hear you...

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Exactly, to the minute, when I got a call from my sister last year letting me know my mother passed..
    Weird stuff huh?
    Almost 25 years since my dad passed away, I still get caught up now 'n then. Every year on his birthday, I'm in a pissy mood...without even realizing it. Guess I'm angry that cancer took him away.

Weird story...I remember the day he died, we had a huge New England snow blizzard that day, I got the call from my mom at my work in Mystic...she said he was about to slip away..and he did slip away while I was on the phone with her. I ran out of work, hopped in my car..and set a land speed record from Mystic to Westerly Rhode Island..the hospital they were at. In a blizzard! Now comes the weird part of the story...as I walked into the hospital room and we're all there hugging, my mom says to me that my dads best friend from his high school years had called as I was driving over. This best friend of my dad from his teen years....was living in Texas. They stayed in touch a little bit...XMas cards each year, once every few years a phone call. But this guy told my mom..he was sitting there..and suddenly this feeling of "Call Frank...Call Frank" came over him...he called out home phone, got the outgoing message that we're at the hospital contact us there...so he called the hospital, got the room. All of this from within the minute of my dad dying. Almost 2,000 miles away.

Odd stuff huh?
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Both of my parents died 9 months apart between 2007-2008. It seems like yesterday.

Sorry for your loss Humboldt. Honestly you'll never stop missing her but eventually the grief does lessen. The good news is nobody can ever take your good memories of her.
    The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, and prejudices to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all of its own for the children and the children yet unborn and the pity of it is that these things cannot be confined to the Twilight Zone.

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Weird stuff huh?
    Almost 25 years since my dad passed away, I still get caught up now 'n then. Every year on his birthday, I'm in a pissy mood...without even realizing it. Guess I'm angry that cancer took him away.

Weird story...I remember the day he died, we had a huge New England snow blizzard that day, I got the call from my mom at my work in Mystic...she said he was about to slip away..and he did slip away while I was on the phone with her. I ran out of work, hopped in my car..and set a land speed record from Mystic to Westerly Rhode Island..the hospital they were at. In a blizzard! Now comes the weird part of the story...as I walked into the hospital room and we're all there hugging, my mom says to me that my dads best friend from his high school years had called as I was driving over. This best friend of my dad from his teen years....was living in Texas. They stayed in touch a little bit...XMas cards each year, once every few years a phone call. But this guy told my mom..he was sitting there..and suddenly this feeling of "Call Frank...Call Frank" came over him...he called out home phone, got the outgoing message that we're at the hospital contact us there...so he called the hospital, got the room. All of this from within the minute of my dad dying. Almost 2,000 miles away.

Odd stuff huh?
    I had something similar happen when my grandfather died. My mom and I were on our way to see a movie - Batman (the Michael Keaton one - still my fave. Christian Bale is too bloodless). My Grampa was sick, but he'd had an operation and it was thought he was going to get better. He was already back at home. There was no thought of him passing away, not even from the doctors. On the way to the movie my mom and I passed a beautiful old cemetary with all these amazing statues. She asked if i wanted to go in and look, and I said sure, why not. We've never in life gone into a cemetary to look at it. A couple hours later she got the call my Grampa had passed - at the exact time we were driving around the cemetary, talking about how beautiful it was.

Still trips me out to this day. We didn't think he was going to die, it wasn't like we were scoping out places to bury him (he was in WWII so he was going to be buried in a veteran's cemetary). Just one of those things that makes you wonder...
    There is security in fearlessness.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by 9mmprincess View Post
    ....Just one of those things that makes you wonder...
    Indeed.
    And yeah, Keaton did the better one!
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!