Thread: question for a police officer (or anyone who knows the answer)

question for a police officer (or anyone who knows the answer)

I seem to remember there's a couple officers on here?

If you've been questioned - I mean like brought in and interrogated, had your fingerprints taken, ect, because you were a murder suspect, but you were never arrested or formally charged, and nothing ever happened with it - when you get pulled over for a brake light out or something & they run your name - do they see that?

thanks in advance.
    There is security in fearlessness.

I'm not a cop, but I don't believe they access that data for traffic stops. I believe they first look at DMV status, driving history, etc. But the data you mentioned is available if they choose to access that database. I think it would depend upon the computerized system the particular police dept is using. AFAIK, not all depts use the same systems, but the goal in the last decade has been to move all such police type agencies to the same system.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    I'm not a cop, but I don't believe they access that data for traffic stops. I believe they first look at DMV status, driving history, etc. But the data you mentioned is available if they choose to access that database. I think it would depend upon the computerized system the particular police dept is using. AFAIK, not all depts use the same systems, but the goal in the last decade has been to move all such police type agencies to the same system.
    Interesting, thanks. I know arrests show even if there's been no conviction, but if you haven't been technically arrested and went in to be questioned on your own... I just wonder if that data is in the system somewhere.

I swear there was a cop named Russell on here...

Quote Originally Posted by 9mmprincess View Post
    Interesting, thanks. I know arrests show even if there's been no conviction, but if you haven't been technically arrested and went in to be questioned on your own... I just wonder if that data is in the system somewhere.
    If the interview/details was recorded in any way, it's stored and can be accessed, whether or not via a cruiser would depend upon the overall system used. The trend in last few years has been to record & store everything > headed toward a police state.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    headed toward a police state.
    I know, right? It's getting ridiculous. And we've been scared into accepting it. Sad.

Oh god, where did you hide the body!?

in a hole with some lime (yes I watch too many mob movies ). Nah, I'm innocent. I was 20 or so at the time, and I didn't hang out with the best crowd. A guy was killed - stabbed to death - and apparently someone gave the cops my name as a suspect - why, I'll never know. Maybe a grudge or something? I was questioned for four hours (they even played Good Cop Bad Cop). At first I was shocked, then I thought it was kind of funny (that they'd think I did it), and after two hours when they showed no signs of letting me go or ending their questioning, and if anything were getting more aggressive, I realized "holy ****, they really think I did it". Being young and stupid and figuring "I'm innocent, so it doesn't matter", I let them take hair samples from me. Nothing ever happened though. The crime was never solved, and they never contacted me again. I saw one of the detectives a year later and straight up asked him "Do you still think I killed that guy?" He looked shocked that I would ask, but said :::I::: don't.

To this day I picture some new detective going through old cold cases and pulling out this one, reading my interrogation and deciding I must have done it, going to the evidence locker, taking out a single hair from the samples I gave, and placing it in the "crime scene evidence" folder. Nothing I could do if they did.

I've just always wondered if that pops up when I get pulled over for a traffic violation.

*crickets chirp*

I knew there was a reason I never tell anyone that

I have lived a very sheltered life... I dont know how happy I am about that... The mere thought of going to prison (a cage) would make me do something stupid, let alone going for something i didnt do.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
    I often wonder if the voices in my head ever get frustrated because I'm just too damn lazy to climb that clock tower.
    Click image to enlarge
    click image to view full version

in a hole with some lime (yes I watch too many mob movies ). Nah, I'm innocent. I was 20 or so at the time, and I didn't hang out with the best crowd. A guy was killed - stabbed to death - and apparently someone gave the cops my name as a suspect - why, I'll never know. Maybe a grudge or something? I was questioned for four hours (they even played Good Cop Bad Cop). At first I was shocked, then I thought it was kind of funny (that they'd think I did it), and after two hours when they showed no signs of letting me go or ending their questioning, and if anything were getting more aggressive, I realized "holy ****, they really think I did it". Being young and stupid and figuring "I'm innocent, so it doesn't matter", I let them take hair samples from me. Nothing ever happened though. The crime was never solved, and they never contacted me again. I saw one of the detectives a year later and straight up asked him "Do you still think I killed that guy?" He looked shocked that I would ask, but said :::I::: don't.

To this day I picture some new detective going through old cold cases and pulling out this one, reading my interrogation and deciding I must have done it, going to the evidence locker, taking out a single hair from the samples I gave, and placing it in the "crime scene evidence" folder. Nothing I could do if they did.

I've just always wondered if that pops up when I get pulled over for a traffic violation.
    In a situation like that, don't say a word without legal council. They either have to have solid evidence and plan to charge you or they have to cut you loose.
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces people into thinking they can't lose. -Bill Gates

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    I swear there was a cop named Russell on here...
    There was....I'll find him on Facebook and ask him to check the thread, he hasn't visited this site in a long time. (I found him and just sent him a message to check the thread here)
    I was a reserve cop many years ago...well before todays computer systems. DMV records were state wide, but stuff like being hauled into the interrogation room only had local written records back then and was knowledge only in the local house.

I imagine today what you fear is likely, especially as you move towards larger urban areas and departments.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

SG Enthusiast
    And here I am. As a few have already stated it will probably vary from agency to agency. When you are stopped for a traffic violation, the officer will run your license, tag, etc through NCIC (National Crime Information Center). That system is linked to each states individual data system which contains your criminal history, driving record, vehicle registration, etc. The information which you are inquiring about is not typical found there. The officer could do an in-house check of his agencies systems, again depending on how advanced they are, and find information where you've been contacted by fellow officers for a variety of reasons arrests, victim, etc. The detectives who questioned you would have maintained a case file with information pertaining to everyone questioned during the investigation. It was probably put into their computer system as well as handwritten documents. Even if the case is relegated to cold case status, that information remains there for ever and ever amen. Your street officer is generally not going to have information regarding that on a traffic stop, unless the detectives purposely had it flagged that way. A lot of times agencies will flag repeat offenders that are routinely contacted as violent, known to carry drugs or weapons etc. Hope that helped!!!
    Looking for work............

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Thanks Russ!
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Russell View Post
    And here I am. As a few have already stated it will probably vary from agency to agency. When you are stopped for a traffic violation, the officer will run your license, tag, etc through NCIC (National Crime Information Center). That system is linked to each states individual data system which contains your criminal history, driving record, vehicle registration, etc. The information which you are inquiring about is not typical found there. The officer could do an in-house check of his agencies systems, again depending on how advanced they are, and find information where you've been contacted by fellow officers for a variety of reasons arrests, victim, etc. The detectives who questioned you would have maintained a case file with information pertaining to everyone questioned during the investigation. It was probably put into their computer system as well as handwritten documents. Even if the case is relegated to cold case status, that information remains there for ever and ever amen. Your street officer is generally not going to have information regarding that on a traffic stop, unless the detectives purposely had it flagged that way. A lot of times agencies will flag repeat offenders that are routinely contacted as violent, known to carry drugs or weapons etc. Hope that helped!!!
    Thanks so much Russell-that helps alot im glad to know that most likely it doesnt show up.

Thanks so much Russell-that helps alot im glad to know that most likely it doesnt show up.
    my best advice is to just turn yourself in right away!

j/k