Thread: Need some iPad advice

Question Need some iPad advice

I think the wife is going to be getting an iPad for her upcoming birthday. I've been a PC guy my whole life so anything Apple... I'm not sure of the specs. I guess my question is size. I'm assuming I'm getting her the model with the Retina Display but I'm just not sure how much storage is needed or required? I would also like to save as much as possible without buying something she wont' use. With that said... is the smaller 16gb model enough for surfing, emailing and I'm sure a handful of apps? She's not a power user by any means and will be using it around the house connected to our network. What are the advantages of going to the 32 or 64gb models?

Honestly, I would get an Android device (got a Asus Nexus 7 32GB- it was about $260 w/ tax and I love it). If you have the $$$ and decide to get the iPad, I would go for the 64GB model to future proof yourself. That is a heck of a lot of storage for a "tablet". 32GB should suit her needs for storage as well though.

Blog Entries
    If it is for only a few apps, the 16GB would suffice. It is media, especially movies that chew up space. That said, I opted for the 64GB. It is handy to have a few movies and cartoons at the ready for the kids. Also, having Garageband and other music apps, mated to a Line6 interface makes for some fun for daddy.

FileBrowser is a must if you have a wireless network in the house. Very handy for watching any movie you have on your NAS.

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

I opted for the 64 GB and run out of space WAY too often for my liking - however, I also load it with movies and TV shows and music. If you're just surfing the web, and have a couple apps (mind you - some get in the GB range), I'd say a 16 or 32 is plenty. It's really only when you start introducing movies and TV into it when you need the 64 GB of space.

16 is too little - it fills up fast! 32 is probably fine for her, but honestly I'd go with the 64. I adored my iPad 2 (til the bf accidentally broke it ). He already said he owes me a new one, but I think I'm going to wait til the new one comes out in the fall, iPad 5 I believe.

I'm a PC girl all the way, but iPads (and iPhones) are awesome, I can't lie.
    There is security in fearlessness.

Blog Entries
    http://www.musicradar.com/news/guita...terface-575746

I have been having fun with this.

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

I have been an Apple employee for almost 2 years now. Let me know if I can help.

...formerly the omnipotent UOD

Thanks for all the input. I think I'm leaning towards the 64gb model. Although I don't see he storing much on it, it may have a little bit better resale value sometime in the future.