Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5 Month Old Australian Shepherd Itching Problem

Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    Then there's my story of how a 5 cent rawhide stick cost me $2500 in vet bills, but that took 4 dogs to happen
    Ouch! Friends of ours had a similar vet bill when their new dog they found on the street ate some string. They had no idea what it was until after the surgery.

Any suggestions on toys/chew toys? Again, TY all for your help!

ya, .99 at the dollar store,anything that you can give him & tell him it's his & when he chews on something that he's not supposed to and you give him that instead,
    dogs are not picky,

Any reason he keeps eating leaves and sticks? LoL

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    ya, .99 at the dollar store,anything that you can give him & tell him it's his & when he chews on something that he's not supposed to and you give him that instead,
    dogs are not picky,
    Dan, I am almost 41 years old. I have had several dogs/cats in my life just asking for suggestions.. I wasn't asking for a dollar store reference. I do appreciate the feedback though.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisinCain View Post
    Dan, I am almost 41 years old. I have had several dogs/cats in my life just asking for suggestions.. I wasn't asking for a dollar store reference. I do appreciate the feedback though.
    i think what dan meant was, a dog willl chew on anything, doesn't matter how much money ya spend for treats

a lot of good info here, i need to buy something better than Iams food for my pooch i guess

Dan, I am almost 41 years old. I have had several dogs/cats in my life. .
    then why are you asking for the most basic of advice ?

40 ? you act 13 !

THAT"S the best place to buy toys for a dog instead of paying petco $10 for the same thing !

I did'nt mean anything insulting from that !

all of a sudden you turn back into your **** self ? I was just trying to help in a nice way ,you're the one that asked the questions

LOL and WTF does "almost 41" mean,what are you 7 ? so 40 and a half ? LOL

this is grown up time,you can say how old you actually are ! LOL
    Last edited by Dan; 06-04-13 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    i think what dan meant was, a dog willl chew on anything, doesn't matter how much money ya spend for treats

a lot of good info here, i need to buy something better than Iams food for my pooch i guess

yes Mark,true,but I also meant that I do buy toys for my dog there because I'm not stupid enough to pay 5 to $15 for a dog training toy.

I also buy toys for her from Walmart,& .99 store,Big lots,& any other stores that charge reasonable prices for toys that will get chewed up anyway.
    Last edited by Dan; 06-04-13 at 08:29 PM.

well you act 13 ! THAT"S the best place to buy toys for a dog instead of paying petco $10 for the same thing !

all of a sudden you turn back into your ***** self ? I was just trying to help in a nice way ,you're the one that asked the questions

LOL WTF does "almost 41" mean,what are you 7 ? so 40 and a half ? LOL

I was asking questions. You're the one that always posts negative comments and acts like a jerk. Get over yourself. You're not an important individual/contributer on these forums. You profess your hate for me but yet you respond to anything I post or respond to. Get a life.

no,that's not true,I have ignored you up until yesterday when I posted helpful positive replies in this thread,you are the one that came at me defensively today.
    lets look back a little
    Any suggestions on toys/chew toys? Again, TY all for your help!
    Also, any advise on training? He is a good dog but is CRAZY AS HELL at the same time. LoL Listens to me somewhat but not the GF.
    I have checked and he doesn't have fleas and is on Frontline but is routinely itching. Is there something I can do (home remedy or over the counter if possible)? Looks like dry skin. Thanks in advance!

dogs are not picky,
    watch for food allergies,I switched from a beef dry food to a fish & sweet potato dry and the itching pretty much stopped.
    this is what I have her on

otherwise it's totally normal for an aussie,my aussie is 6 now and as long as there are no red spots on the tummy & armpits,then it's just normal aussie itching,get used to it.

depending on how much he weighs a half of a benadryl will relieve the itching,

they "blow" their coats 2 -4 times a year and that's normal and along with that comes the itching,try a warm water bath with a mild conditioning shampoo,

5 mo is a little young to blow the coat,otherwise,like I said ,it's normal for an aussie.
    puppy chow is at the bottom of the quality list IMO

http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Balanc.../dp/B0009WX2RW
    http://www.petco.com/product/13791/N...-Dog-Food.aspx
    I get a 5pnd bag at my local pet supply for $16.

also don't forget to get him on some kind of heart worm preventative,I use this http://sentinelpet.com/about

please spay/neuter

give him PLENTY of his things that are ok to chew on,instead of body parts/shoes/furniture, and be sure that you & the gf use exactly the same words/commands/hand gestures ALL the time,be consistent.

yes,you're right,those are terrible negative replies from me

Yeah that was really helpful. I guess i'll just get "used" to my pup itching. I appreciated the help and still do. I thought we could finally get along but I guess not. Seems you're just a jerk after all and you like trolling threads that I start or post in. Must be a nice and productive life that you have.
    Last edited by RaisinCain; 06-04-13 at 08:39 PM.

Yeah that was really helpful. I guess i'll just get "used" to my pup itching. I appreciated the help and still do. I thought we could finally get along but I guess not. Seems you're just a jerk after all and you like trolling threads that I start or post in. Must be a nice and productive life that you have.
    You know it could be an alergy to something blooming outside, I know when oak tree pollen kicks in my dogs itch a lot and their eyes water also. Just a thought.

Have you had a vet check him out?

Quote Originally Posted by cybotron r_9 View Post
    You know it could be an alergy to something blooming outside, I know when oak tree pollen kicks in my dogs itch a lot and their eyes water also. Just a thought.

Have you had a vet check him out?
    That too Allergies can be environmental, I've seen reactions to redwood duff, pollen, even some kinds of fabric.

On such a crappy food though I would start with assuming a diet change could help the most.

40 ? you act 13 !

THAT"S the best place to buy toys for a dog instead of paying petco $10 for the same thing !

all of a sudden you turn back into your **** self ? I was just trying to help in a nice way ,you're the one that asked the questions

LOL and WTF does "almost 41" mean,what are you 7 ? so 40 and a half ? LOL

I'll be 41 in August. Can you not quit being a d***?

I saw this in a Google search and know it's old. I was curious about Aussie itching and if it got better. I have recently rescued a two year old and he's itching like crazy. We feed him Diamond Natural which is a four star food. I'm using an oatmeal based shampoo and not too frequent so I don't dry his skin more. I'm going to start him on Zesty Paws Allergy Immune Bites. I brush him regularly to help him as well. If anyone else has any ideas that would be appreciated. I also saw there was a question about chews/toys. I found Pet Qwerks Flavorit BarkBones are a reasonably priced option on Amazon and are indestructible.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetheart0903 View Post
    I saw this in a Google search and know it's old. I was curious about Aussie itching and if it got better. I have recently rescued a two year old and he's itching like crazy. We feed him Diamond Natural which is a four star food. I'm using an oatmeal based shampoo and not too frequent so I don't dry his skin more. I'm going to start him on Zesty Paws Allergy Immune Bites. I brush him regularly to help him as well. If anyone else has any ideas that would be appreciated. I also saw there was a question about chews/toys. I found Pet Qwerks Flavorit BarkBones are a reasonably priced option on Amazon and are indestructible.
    Welcome to SG

Which Diamond Naturals?

Curious because I manage a pet supply store and they have a couple lines of kibble.

Some dogs are itchier than others, but I'd make sure fleas are under control (a dog with a flea allergy will have its immune system go into hyper-drive from a single bite) and possibly a fish oil-based omega 3&6 oil.

There's one called Ultra Oil which we has been our best seller for the past 10 years. Fish oil, grape seed oil, flax seed oil, and hemp seed oil. Omegas 3, 6, and 9 (hemp).

My girlfriend's 4 year-old border collie has been getting non-stop comments about how thick and shiny and soft his fur is since she started using it.

Also, this time of year as people are turning on heaters, that can dry the dog's skin out a lot too.