Thread: Daisy-chain?

Daisy-chain?

Ok, my question is can i daisy chain a router... My Surfboard and Dlink are in the back bed room and i have a 75 foot cat5 running from there to the living room to the xbox and my main rig in the dining room... I was going to hook up a security cam onto the network and some other things as well. but i didnt want 5 different 75 foot cables running through the house.

to to 1 75 foot cord to this
    Just trying to utilize stuff i have around the house... tripping over wires isnt fun in the early morning darkness.

TIA
    Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
    I often wonder if the voices in my head ever get frustrated because I'm just too damn lazy to climb that clock tower.
    Click image to enlarge
    click image to view full version

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    You could run 1x long cable down the hall to feed that Netgear using a LAN port....thus using it basically as a switch. You'd want to change it's LAN IP so it's in the same IP range as the DLink, yet unique..and disable DHCP on the Netgear too. So if the DLink is 192.168.1.1, make the Netgear something like 192.168.1.2 or 192.168.1.245.

Don't like that 1 network cable running down the hall? Some wireless allow wireless bridging repeating or WDS, but honestly that sucks. Slow, high latency, and chances of success diminish as you start mixing brands.

Another option is to get ethernet over powerline adapters. It's a little box that you plug into an outlet. Has an ethernet port, so uplink it to your DLink router. In the living room, you have another one...plug it in, have an ethernet cable coming out if it and uplink to your Netgear routers LAN port (same IP setup as above). So you're basically using your electrical system in your house instead of running a long ethernet cable down your hallway.

They have MOCA adapters too....same principle but using existing coax in your house instead of the AC.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Im liking the outlet idea... ok, research time!
    Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
    I often wonder if the voices in my head ever get frustrated because I'm just too damn lazy to climb that clock tower.
    Click image to enlarge
    click image to view full version