Thread: Any dog behavorist on board?

404 Sanity Not Found PsykoPenguin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Any dog behavorist on board?

So I just received back 2 pups from my dogs litter from December and Griz (the one I already had) and Casper (one of the 2 I received back) are picking fights with each other. It's not super often they get into a fight about 3-4 times a day but it always seems to resolve itself by the time I get outside (so it only lasts for about 3 seconds) They've only fought in front of me 4 times and it's a 50/50 thing, they're both picking fights with each other. Now what I'm trying to figure out is how do I resolve this issue?

Details, every last bit. Last thing I want is for this to get out of hand and have to take them to the vet for stitches and such.

Top to bottom: Griz, Tubby, Casper.
    "I'm like a lion on the prowl after prey"

http://www.cesarsway.com/magazine/ce...shed/Ask-Cesar

my advice......

try exercising the fk out of them and tire them out....luv the look on Tubby's face.....

My last dog fight was a 3 on 1 and ended with about 200 stitches, 2 drainage tubes, and over $2 thousand.

Ended up keeping them permanently separated. Not willing to take the risk.

Your energy/lack of has a lot to do with it but resolving this bests most trainers.

Ask Cesar and it's attributable to the dogs not having a pack leader, so they're fighting over the dominance role you're not taking.

If you have NetFlix, please watch:
    ""The Very Best of Dog Whisperer w/ Cesar Millan"
    Collection 1 Episode 6
    "The Other Woman"
    16:50 mark

Deals with a very similar situation.

My only advice is that the younger they are when trained, the better the chances of the training being successful.
    If you work with them yourself, be calm, be careful, and try to safeguard every move you make.

Work with them individually to get them under your control before trying to bring them together.

It's not super often they get into a fight about 3-4 times a day
    Not good. Once every few months is not super often.
    3-4 times a day means there's an on-going issue that won't be resolved without either your training them or an escalation of violence.

Quote Originally Posted by cybotron r_9 View Post
    ...luv the look on Tubby's face.....

me too,great smile !

Yup, you be the alpha male and their desire to fight each other will dissipate.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

404 Sanity Not Found PsykoPenguin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    My last dog fight was a 3 on 1 and ended with about 200 stitches, 2 drainage tubes, and over $2 thousand.

Ended up keeping them permanently separated. Not willing to take the risk.

Your energy/lack of has a lot to do with it but resolving this bests most trainers.

Ask Cesar and it's attributable to the dogs not having a pack leader, so they're fighting over the dominance role you're not taking.

If you have NetFlix, please watch:
    ""The Very Best of Dog Whisperer w/ Cesar Millan"
    Collection 1 Episode 6
    "The Other Woman"
    16:50 mark

Deals with a very similar situation.

My only advice is that the younger they are when trained, the better the chances of the training being successful.
    If you work with them yourself, be calm, be careful, and try to safeguard every move you make.

Work with them individually to get them under your control before trying to bring them together.

Not good. Once every few months is not super often.
    3-4 times a day means there's an on-going issue that won't be resolved without either your training them or an escalation of violence.
    Well I decided to take cybo's advice, upped their exercising around in the large yard in the back of my house from 45 mins to 60 minutes usually twice a day, sometimes more, usually just before meal time.
    They were pooped but fighting mostly stopped though they did fight at least once a day regardless, perhaps more exercise was in need or perhaps more things were needed, like becoming pack leader. (Woof!)
    Tubby and Casper were both adopted again so I no longer have them, they've been together since birth so that works out great, didn't have to separate them.

Griz has another issue I'm trying to address, he likes to latch onto the skin of my dog and when I had the other pups he'd latch onto their skin too. That's what started the fights between him and Casper whenever he started it. My dog doesn't like it when he does that. Perhaps it's all part of the same issue?

I'll watch that episode you recommended and thanks for the advice.
    Also thanks for re-enforcing that Alpha thing Tony.
    "I'm like a lion on the prowl after prey"

I had a rotty that acted in a similar way. Try finding the local police/K9 guy and see if he will help. Worked wonders for me.