Thread: HTPC case advice

HTPC case advice

Heya, folks. Long story short I have been meaning to retire my ancient main system to entertainment center duty. It's actually doing that as we speak, but in a desktop case laying on its side next to the A/V setup and looks rather lame. Nice case, it just looks bad where it's at.

Anywhoos, the mobo in it is ATX, and most of the decent looking HTPC cases out there are microATX (the discontinued Antec Fusion line, for example). I want something that'll blend in with the other devices yet accommodate an ATX mobo. I know it sounds goofy. but something with knobs or whatever similar to what you'd see on a receiver or other audio components, like the Antecs. I'd also like a remote to power on the PC.

I have been looking at some Silverstone cases which are kinda pricey for the ones that suit the bill (ATX, power-on remote, look at least a little busy on the front like other audio equipment but not retarded). No experience with Silverstone here.

TIA, guys.
    "Today is a black day in the history of mankind."

- Leo Szilard

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Hit up newegg.com and do a search for "htpc media case"....you should get 3 pages worth. Take a peek at some of the retro 50's radio looking cases!
    Pernal favorite is the Moneual line...but wow are they pricey. You might dig some of the nMEDIAPC lineup.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Heya, bud!

Those Moneual enclosures are fricking sharp! They appear to be competing with Silverstone in the niche "sweet looking HTPC case that costs a fortune" market. Both have some sick cases but for a serious premium. nMEDIAPC (as well as Moneual for the most part) has lots in the microATX form factor but some OK looking ones in regular ATX.

Maybe I'll just superglue a knob on a reasonably priced case and call it a day

- Leo Szilard

Not sure if this what you are looking for but here is a link that you may find interesting.

http://www.newegg.com/Barebone-Mini-.../Category/ID-3

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    Heya, bud!
    Every time we're in the same thread, I wanna fire up Battlefield 1942 and either go fly stunts under bridges, or do some ramming with the ships! LOL...those were the days!
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Every time we're in the same thread, I wanna fire up Battlefield 1942 and either go fly stunts under bridges, or do some ramming with the ships! LOL...those were the days!
    Hell yes! Old school Nintendo I am presuming?

PC versions...not that many years ago...~2004-2006.
    I used to build and maintain a few public gaming servers....including the Speedguide Battlefield gaming server. Faust contributed some parts for that server....along with many others here during that time. I built and managed that server in a data center right next to my office, which was fed by an OC-3 line...we used to get it pretty packed. It ran 3x Battlefield servers at the same time....'42, Desert Combat, and Vietnam. Maybe Battlefield 2 also....I forget. Was some great times...we had about 20 Speedguide members would would regularly play. I still get tears from my eyes laughing at the memories of Immy racing through a camp in the Jeep with his stereo blasting, or Randy Rodent sneaking up to TNT something, or driving Meggie around in a buggy and telling her I was rubbin' her leg.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Is there any way to get the emulators to run on a 64 bit system?

I don't mean to hijack the thread BTW.

Same here. I think I saw you in the Midway 24/7 server (forgot the clan that ran it) a few times as well. Loved that map. Then PB dropped support and I started getting random crashes. Then I rolled over the install disc#1 with my desk chair. But back in the BF'42/DC SG server days? Good times. I remember getting furious and then laughing that one time we were all in the SG BF-V server taking forever to finally get set up for that group screenshot, only to have some random guy log in and fly a MiG straight down our pie holes, lol.

Is there any way to get the emulators to run on a 64 bit system?
    Depends on what in particular you're looking for, but I never had issues running MAME64

- Leo Szilard

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    that one time we were all in the SG BF-V server taking forever to finally get set up for that group screenshot, only to have some random guy log in and fly a MiG straight down our pie holes, lol.
    Oh man....yeah.
    My gaming rig at home has been retired and dead for a long time now. First generation Core 2 Duo processor vintage....motherboard has very slightly leaking caps. My kid recently installed BF-V on his gaming rig and has been playing that lately...it's making me want to build another gaming rig and install it again.

PB isn't updating '42 anymore? Boooo!
    Guinness for Strength!!!

PB isn't updating '42 anymore? Boooo!
    Best of the series, no financial gain in continuing its support though.