Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do You Believe In Aliens?

Blog Entries

Question Do You Believe In Aliens?

I personally have always believed in life on other planets & feel they have and continue to visit earth. The why of it remains a mystery to me? Other than simply keeping an eye on us i am surprised they have not tried to make contact. They are obviously far more advanced than we are & it would appear they are capable of doing whatever they would wish to do.

Whats your opinion?

---

Retired McGill University professor convinced ‘beyond a reasonable doubt’ that aliens exist.

The educator, who spent 47 years at McGill University, including as associate dean of the faculty of graduate studies and research — applies his insights into psychology to a book: UFOs, ETs, and Alien Abductions, a Scientist looks at the Evidence. It will be published in May. Mr. Donderi spoke to the Post’s Jen Gerson on Monday.

Q. You write about cases of humans believing they were abducted. I believe your press release refers to a “catch and release” program. Do you have physical evidence to support that?

A. I don’t personally have physical evidence to support that. What I say in the book is that the evidence of the extra-terrestrial nature of some of what UFO phenomenon is reported is in my opinion established beyond a reasonable doubt.

Q. Give me an example of some of that evidence.

A. There is an entire chapter on six UFO abduction cases. Each of them has what you might call in common a touchstone. Every one of the people involved saw a close up of a UFO. Everyone of the people had missing time they could not account for, a period of an hour or more, maybe even two or three hours. After the initial sighting, they ended up driving down a road not knowing how they got there. In several other cases, people saw the UFO as well. Some of these people wound up with scars they could not explain.

Q. Can you tell me a little bit about your background and what you do?

A. I worked at McGill University from 1962 to 2009. I was an associate professor of psychological research and published well over 100 papers on one thing or another. In 1982 I co-founded a consulting company that does human factors ergonomics consulting. I’ve been on the mainstream of science and engineering my entire professional life.

Q. How did you get interested in this particular subject?

A. I was interested as a boy when this stuff started happening in 1947. I was old enough to read the newspapers. I’m a curious person and I was persuaded this was a curious phenomenon. Thirty years later, I had a university position. I had tenure. I could study things without worrying about what other people thought about them. This is a very liberating thing. Nobody except university professors have tenure in the world, it makes you an aristocrat right off the bat. You can do what you like as long as you do your work, which I always did.

Q. We’ve seen a lot of studies showing that human perception is a very spotty thing. People have a way of even inventing memories; sometimes when more than one person claims to see something, they start talking to each other and can affect each others’ accounts, for example

A. I cover all of this stuff [in my book] including everything you’ve talked about, because I’ve investigated some of these things professionally myself. I can assure you the evidence that survives a critical look at what might have contributed to those reports is sound evidence.

Q. Are we talking about physical evidence?

A. Now anybody can take a photograph from the Internet, jazz things up in Photoshop. So a photograph is worthless as evidence in and of itself. But when you get multiple photographs, or photographs taken by gun cameras on a fighter plane chasing UFOs — of which there are several examples — or radar plots taken during a UFO chase. You’ll find there is a tremendous amount of corroborative evidence.

Q. Just because we don’t always know what’s seen on these types of tapes doesn’t mean that’s proof that it’s extraterrestrial.

A. No, but what else is it? What you have to do is you have to eliminate the other probable causes … and what you begin to build up is a collection of evidence that stands the sniping of people who say it can’t be therefore it isn’t.

Q. From a psychological perspective, when we hear about people getting abducted by aliens, do you not think that on the balance of probabilities that a more plausible explanation is that there is an element of self delusion, or waking nightmares at play here? Do you not think there is a more plausible explanation for these reports than the idea that there is an alien species coming down to Earth to kidnap humans?

A. That is a plausible explanation for many of the reports, but not all of the reports, I agree with you. I also said evidence for abduction is that is a balance of probable evidence, not beyond reasonable doubt.

Q. Don’t you think the balance of probability favours a much less glamorous, much more human explanation that our perceptions are flawed?

A. No.
    http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/02...-aliens-exist/

---

minir

I feel the universe is just to large for earth to be the only life form.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by morbidpete View Post
    I feel the universe is just to large for earth to be the only life form.
    ---

My feelings exactly morbidpete, plus the fact there have been too many sightings by many reputable observers, astronauts, pilots, military, radar operators and on it goes. Many mass sightings as well have been reported and from all around the globe. Surely they all can't be weather balloons as they would have us believe.

The British & Russians are far more forthcoming that the N. American Governments when it comes to recognizing of these sightings.

Just perhaps these aliens are the ones responsible for McDonalds, BurgerKing, PizzaPizza, In & Out Burger etc who are doing their best to fatten us up as the aliens need a new food source.

--

Larry

I don't presume to know, but if we are alone it sure makes us pretty damn special!
    USMC RETIRED

Steve

Tacoma Guitar Forum

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Leatherneck View Post
    I don't presume to know, but if we are alone it sure makes us pretty damn special!
    ---

Exactly Leatherneck

Wonder what their women look like.

---

Larry

If you took our galaxy "The milky way" and looked at every star in it and the surrounding planets (like our solar system) for one second...

It would take you 5000 years to look at each one and decide if there was life. Multiply that by the number of galaxies.

Life is out there without a doubt.
    Nutty like squirrel terds!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SlyOneDoofy View Post
    If you took our galaxy "The milky way" and looked at every star in it and the surrounding planets (like our solar system) for one second...

It would take you 5000 years to look at each one and decide if there was life. Multiply that by the number of galaxies.

Life is out there without a doubt.
    ---

Like Leatherneck said SlyOneDoofy, the odds are pretty good thats true.

---

Larry

When you look into the sky, countless stars are seen in only the small portion that you are viewing. Each typically with it's own solar system. Quite arrogant to think that we are the only intelligent life...

IMHO, travel and size is the problem. With so many systems, even if travel was possible, think of how much time would be involved to visit all of them...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    When you look into the sky, countless stars are seen in only the small portion that you are viewing. Each typically with it's own solar system. Quite arrogant to think that we are the only intelligent life...

IMHO, travel and size is the problem. With so many systems, even if travel was possible, think of how much time would be involved to visit all of them...
    ---

Very true Ken

I oft wondered when the movies ET & Close Encounters came out if the government where preparing us for the eventual meeting of an alien culture. We know mass panic would erupt if this was to take place but if they could somehow put a friendly face on it perhaps it would be more acceptable, as surely the government is knowing of their existence.

Hope your feeling better Ken

---

Larry

I don't really buy into the Abduction stuff, but it seems crazy that we would be the only planet with life.

Seen some weird things that are tough to explain, but who knows if they were UFO related.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    I don't really buy into the Abduction stuff, but it seems crazy that we would be the only planet with life.

Seen some weird things that are tough to explain, but who knows if they were UFO related.
    ---

Hi YARDofSTUF

Thats the tough one, but personally i do believe it myself. So many have talked about it with basically much the same stories as to what took place and how else can i explain my X Wife who was a great gal & then turned into a complete bitch after being away for a couple of days.

I'm sure in your lifetime something will come about to remove all doubt as we get more and more encounters with these beings. My only hope is they are friendly.

I still recall an episode of the Twilight Zone wherein a ship landed on earth and the lead alien put an end to all wars and fighting and brought about wonderful changes to earths people.

He always appeared in long robes and always carried a large book with some writing on the cover that a group of scientists tried to decode. The aliens offered to take people to their planet that they described as wonderful without war or hardship of any kind, the only thing they said was that most if not all who traveled their never wished to come back such was the beauty of their planet.

People lined up to go and as stated never returned to earth again. In the meantime the scientists worked feverishly on decoding the book cover that the head alien always carried with him.

Welll finally it was the lead scientists turn to go with a few of his compatriots and as they where walking to the steps of the spacecraft one of the fellow scientists came bursting onto the scene and yelled out to the group that they had finally broken the code and the title of the book was "To Serve Man, it's a cookbook!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Serv...Twilight_Zone)

---

Larry

I believe it is very arrogant of us to think that we're all alone here. Then again, maybe we are all just living in a petri dish after all.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisinCain View Post
    I believe it is very arrogant of us to think that we're all alone here. Then again, maybe we are all just living in a petri dish after all.
    Every point of light is a GALAXY... So, what he said^^^
    Last edited by Bastid; 02-27-13 at 09:57 PM.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
    I often wonder if the voices in my head ever get frustrated because I'm just too damn lazy to climb that clock tower.
    Click image to enlarge
    click image to view full version

I believe the original photo is like 2 megs if you can find it.
    Last edited by Bastid; 02-27-13 at 09:57 PM.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
    I often wonder if the voices in my head ever get frustrated because I'm just too damn lazy to climb that clock tower.
    Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Quote Originally Posted by minir View Post
    ---

I still recall an episode of the Twilight Zone wherein a ship landed on earth and the lead alien put an end to all wars and fighting and brought about wonderful changes to earths people.
    ---

Larry
    Great episode! One of my all time favorite TZ's. I am going to have to re-watch it now...

Brian

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisinCain View Post
    ---

Hi RaisinCain & Bastid

That pretty much seems like the consensus opinion here.

---

Larry

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DV View Post
    Great episode! One of my all time favorite TZ's. I am going to have to re-watch it now...

Brian
    ---

Hi DV

Like you that episode has stuck with me all these many years and was a favorite of mine as well.

---

Larry

The Big Bang Theory is only an unproved theory. The authors of this universe have not paid much attention to the Earth since its creation. Just gaze outward on a clear night and you will see where they have been hard at work. It's quite arrogant to think that the Earth is the only place harboring Life, an opinion begun by terrified priests and shamans long ago, which, unfortunately, has been accepted by far too many people, themselves afraid to question such authority. The major religions of the last few millenia have moral codes forbidding that questioning, the purpose of which is to apparently ensure their endurance. To that I say, "Humbug." We are not alone!
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    The Big Bang Theory is only an unproved theory. The authors of this universe have not paid much attention to the Earth since its creation. Just gaze outward on a clear night and you will see where they have been hard at work. It's quite arrogant to think that the Earth is the only place harboring Life, an opinion begun by terrified priests and shamans long ago, which, unfortunately, has been accepted by far too many people, themselves afraid to question such authority. The major religions of the last few millenia have moral codes forbidding that questioning, the purpose of which is to apparently ensure their endurance. To that I say, "Humbug." We are not alone!
    ---

I agree completely TonyT .

I wonder if those that we question exist, are fed the same BS by their leaders as we are here?

---

Larry