Thread: Whats the best VPN Firewall Router for business use?

Whats the best VPN Firewall Router for business use?

Hello My First Post here,

I have to make a decision quickly in replacing VPN Routers in our 5 offices.

THE SHORT: I need 5 VPN Firewall Routers, and looking for opinions from other Network Admins.

The main office
    hosts our Server, and the 4 remote offices access our main server over the VPN connections using RDP terminal.
    A total of about 50 remote users in the 4 offices, again over the 4 VPN connections.

In our main office we have about 25 users that will intermittently use the internet for mostly email, and other functions, and video or social site are blocked.
    We presently use 3MBPS over T1 for the main office, and Comcast Cable connections at the remote offices.

We have presently been using older VPN Routers in all offices, D-Link DFL-700 (Main Office), and D-Link DFL-200 (Remote Offices).
    These have worked just fine for years now, but the main router has now gone bad and there is no real replacement for it..

I installed a Cisco RV042 VPN router to replace the bad D-Link DFL-700 and all is working again for now.
    But management wants to upgrade everything so not to chance any downtime again.

So I am not sure rather to install the Cisco RV042 in the other offices, or Try Sonicwall VPN routers,

SO... does any one have any suggestions???

Thank you in advance..

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    I've setup WANs with both those devices.
    For business networks I'm all about UTM appliances now (Unified Threat Management...meaning it has antivirus/antimalware/antispyware scanning done in the appliance) instead of plain old NAT routers. Right now I'm working on site at a place with an old RV082...those units work fairly well for VPN tunnels. Barebones UTM features with that TrendMicro ad-on. Sonicwalls are very solid units....expensive, and those pricey yearly maintenance fees. But they do work great. And they have some decent UTM options...base is McCrapee, but you have a Kaspersky option which is good. Very good performance and solid VPN tunnels. Better than the RV0 units...but you pay for it. I also do a lot with a product called Untangle....which is my favorite lately.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PC51 View Post
    Hello My First Post here,

I have to make a decision quickly in replacing VPN Routers in our 5 offices.

THE SHORT: I need 5 VPN Firewall Routers, and looking for opinions from other Network Admins.

The main office
    hosts our Server, and the 4 remote offices access our main server over the VPN connections using RDP terminal.
    A total of about 50 remote users in the 4 offices, again over the 4 VPN connections.

In our main office we have about 25 users that will intermittently use the internet for mostly email, and other functions, and video or social site are blocked.
    We presently use 3MBPS over T1 for the main office, and Comcast Cable connections at the remote offices.

We have presently been using older VPN Routers in all offices, D-Link DFL-700 (Main Office), and D-Link DFL-200 (Remote Offices).
    These have worked just fine for years now, but the main router has now gone bad and there is no real replacement for it..

I installed a Cisco RV042 VPN router to replace the bad D-Link DFL-700 and all is working again for now.
    But management wants to upgrade everything so not to chance any downtime again.

So I am not sure rather to install the Cisco RV042 in the other offices, or Try Sonicwall VPN routers,

SO... does any one have any suggestions???

Thank you in advance..

Hi PC51

This is Ferdz and I work for the Cisco Small Business Group. Upgrading your VPN firewall router would actually help a lot in keeping the system up and running all the time to avoid downtime. I help you decide on what equipment would be the best for your business send me a PM with details such as requirements and restrictions so we can discuss it further

Thanks for the info PC51 .