Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Tiny Computer Attracts a Million Tinkerers

The htpc I'm using is an older P4, 2GB RAM, nvidia 6 series agp, XP. Worked great but CPU idles at about 60-80% running xbmc. Just swapped in a different drive and loaded openelec generic (stable [xbmc 11]) & the system runs 500% smoother, faster and cooler. When openelec latest version goes final I'll then get a modern mini pc to use. For now, it works great.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    The htpc I'm using is an older P4, 2GB RAM, nvidia 6 series agp, XP. Worked great but CPU idles at about 60-80% running xbmc. Just swapped in a different drive and loaded openelec generic (stable [xbmc 11]) & the system runs 500% smoother, faster and cooler. When openelec latest version goes final I'll then get a modern mini pc to use. For now, it works great.
    3.0 is now out and final, Built on frodo 21.1

Setup a pi as a test at work last week, Loaded up rapbian. Used piano bar and pidora to stream pandora to the speaker system int he resturant. Gives a nice web gui to control pandora. We purchased the pandora one so no commercials. The web gui controls Pandora on the pi, been running for 3 days straight without an issue. We are getting more for the other stores

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by morbidpete View Post
    Setup a pi as a test at work last week, Loaded up rapbian. Used piano bar and pidora to stream pandora to the speaker system int he resturant. Gives a nice web gui to control pandora. We purchased the pandora one so no commercials. The web gui controls Pandora on the pi, been running for 3 days straight without an issue. We are getting more for the other stores
    That's is very cool.

3.0 is now out and final, Built on frodo 21.1

Yup, I'm using 3.0 RC5. Smooth as silk!

I was considering a Pi. Yesterday I ordered a Zotac ID80. I have 4 GB Ram and a 500 GB drive to put in it. Can't wait...

LRH

Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    Yup, I'm using 3.0 RC5. Smooth as silk!

I was considering a Pi. Yesterday I ordered a Zotac ID80. I have 4 GB Ram and a 500 GB drive to put in it. Can't wait...
    That should work nicely, Are you only running one? I have 3 using a central NAS for the SQL backend and synced artwork and add-ons.

I have noticed the Pi's wont do the crazy animated backgrounds and transitions. But im cool with that

That should work nicely, Are you only running one? I have 3 using a central NAS for the SQL backend and synced artwork and add-ons.
    I have noticed the Pi's wont do the crazy animated backgrounds and transitions. But im cool with that
    Just one htpc is all I need, I only have one tv. I can use its pnp to stream content to computers on the lan.
    I gave the 'testing' computer to my brother, set it up yesterday with his projector in his theater room. Picked up a cheap MCE remote for it which works like a charm. At xmas I'll gift them a pi or a zotac.

LRH

so i can build one of these things to stream video from another PC or internet, like with youtube, ect.

i am getting a new plasma monday and need a new dvd player as it took a crap also.

how hard is it to use, can i run ethernet to it or only wireless ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    so i can build one of these things to stream video from another PC or internet, like with youtube, ect.

i am getting a new plasma monday and need a new dvd player as it took a crap also.

how hard is it to use, can i run ethernet to it or only wireless ?
    Yes, raspbmc is your best bet. It has an ethernet port, Wireless would need an adapter. Not hard to setup at all. Just add the pc share to the "sources" in the video's menu. Very easy to use with the android or iphone app

what about a WD TV live, a bit more money but seems to do the same things ?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/WD---WD-...&skuId=3558057

or is the pi offer something else ?
    4930K@4.3~32GBGskill~asusX79deluxe~Vega64~240GB-SSD-OS drive~500GB-SSD-scratch~240GB-SSD-thrash~4TB storage~6.4TB-ioMemorycard~Windows 7 pro
    *~ SG stats

pi is more for tinkerers...
    Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
    I often wonder if the voices in my head ever get frustrated because I'm just too damn lazy to climb that clock tower.
    Click image to enlarge
    click image to view full version