Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Tiny Computer Attracts a Million Tinkerers

Blog Entries

Cool A Tiny Computer Attracts a Million Tinkerers

Raspberry Pi may sound like the name of a math-based dessert. But it is actually one of the hottest and cheapest little computers in the world right now. Almost one million of these $35 machines have shipped since last February, capturing the imaginations of educators, hobbyists and tinkerers around the world.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/31/te...me&ref=general

---

minir

Very cool device, XBMC Frodo just added support for it. Looking to replace my dedicated XBMC pc's with the Pi's.. The even cheaper model a's should be out soon. Only problem is there are no MPEG-2 hardware decoding unless you buy the license separably.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by morbidpete View Post
    Very cool device, XBMC Frodo just added support for it. Looking to replace my dedicated XBMC pc's with the Pi's.. The even cheaper model a's should be out soon. Only problem is there are no MPEG-2 hardware decoding unless you buy the license separably.
    ---

Hi morbidpete

I'd never heard of it before & thought some here might be interested in it. I see your way ahead of the game...Good for you.

Enjoy

Larry

I got one...its pretty neat! just a FYI if you get the pi + WIFI dongle + case + charger + HDMI to vga adapter you are looking at about 100$
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilog B
    Loading the dishwasher at brembo's house means bringing the fiancee a sixpack home.

Quote Originally Posted by nightowl View Post
    I got one...its pretty neat! just a FYI if you get the pi + WIFI dongle + case + charger + HDMI to vga adapter you are looking at about 100$
    My plan:
    xbmcfrodo
    hardwired (already in place for current PC)
    HDMI (currently used for current PC)
    use the USB on the TV to power it, or a small 1amp USB charger I have laying around along with the cable.
    using my current Flirc (flirc.tv) to control it with my harmony remote.
    a case is my only accessory I need.

What case did you grab?
    I want something I can stick to the back of the TV possibly

My plan:
    xbmcfrodo
    use the USB on the TV to power it, or a small 1amp USB charger I have laying around along with the cable.

What case did you grab?
    I want something I can stick to the back of the TV possibly

i got a cheap red case....there are cases out there that allow you to mount it onm the back of the monitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilog B
    Loading the dishwasher at brembo's house means bringing the fiancee a sixpack home.

This is relative to my interests... I scanned over the article a few days ago and was kinda like meh that's cool and forgot about it. Friend of mine was talking about them today and piqued my interests. I have never messed with linux becausei was scared of frying something i have put a lot of money into or just didnt know enough ect ect... but now im very excited that this is coming to fruition so i can tinker with stuff
    Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
    I often wonder if the voices in my head ever get frustrated because I'm just too damn lazy to climb that clock tower.
    Click image to enlarge
    click image to view full version

Well, Just placed my order for the 2. Need to shop around for cases and SD cards

Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
    I often wonder if the voices in my head ever get frustrated because I'm just too damn lazy to climb that clock tower.
    Click image to enlarge

all that is left is to figure out how to get the multichannel sound to my receiver. My TV will not pass thru 5.1. need either an adapter to yank out the audio via toslink or a new AV receiver (im leaning towards a new receiver)

Thats the one i was leaning towards but i did see a clear acrylic one that had some nice etching on it but i cant remember where i saw it... lol
    Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Seems pretty cool.

Well my PI's arrived today. I have one up and running XBIAN. Working great. Just waiting for my keys to playback MPEG2 and VC1. $4.50 for both codecs for 1 Pi. Only issues so far is NextPVR is not compatible, So it crashes on loadup of the PVR. Disabled for now. I only use the pvr for sports anyways and football is over

Setting up the video sources was a pain since my storage server is on my domain with authenticated shares. Learning experience there

Well my PI's arrived today. I have one up and running XBIAN. Working great. Just waiting for my keys to playback MPEG2 and VC1. $4.50 for both codecs for 1 Pi. Only issues so far is NextPVR is not compatible, So it crashes on loadup of the PVR. Disabled for now. I only use the pvr for sports anyways and football is over

Setting up the video sources was a pain since my storage server is on my domain with authenticated shares. Learning experience there
    What was your total setup and running cost?

$77.59 for 2x Rasp Pi (includes shipping)
    $27.80 for the 2x cases (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
    $16.00 for 2x Sandisk 8GB Class 10 SD Card (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

$121.39 total

$60.70 per

It will pay for it's self in a few month's in the electric bill.

I had extra micro usb and hdmi cables on hand. I dont pay shipping with amazon since I'm a prime member.
    I also already use a flirc and harmoney 650 to control the old XBMC PC. The flirc worked with out having to do anything

My plan:
    xbmcfrodo
    I tinkered with xbmc all last week on several different Debian installs, a win7 install and ended up using xp on the comp.
    This was all just research and play until I build a dedicated system, probably using a zbox barebones.

FYI, frodo has apps for android/ios now that lets a device (phone, table) be a remote control for it.
    http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title...Remote/Android
    http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title...BMC_Remote/iOS
    Last edited by TonyT; 03-16-13 at 08:18 AM.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    I tinkered with xbmc all last week on several different Debian installs, a win7 install and ended up using xp on the comp.
    This was all just research and play until I build a dedicated system, probably using a zbox barebones.

FYI, frodo has apps for android/ios now that lets a device (phone, table) be a remote control for it.
    http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title...Remote/Android
    http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title...BMC_Remote/iOS
    It's a very powerful piece of software. Been my main source of media for 3+ years now. I have 3 dedicated kits for XBMC in the house. It does everything from Live tv to my music and TV shows, Hulu and Amazon prime. I used to use the ios app exclusively to control it. But them I purchased 2 Flircs. I now use them with a harmony 650

the Constellation app blows every other XBMC remote out of the water

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/xbmc...437807301?mt=8