Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

Thread: A Tiny Computer Attracts a Million Tinkerers

  1. #1
    R.I.P. 2015-05-13 minir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    27,942
    Blog Entries
    1

    Cool A Tiny Computer Attracts a Million Tinkerers

    Raspberry Pi may sound like the name of a math-based dessert. But it is actually one of the hottest and cheapest little computers in the world right now. Almost one million of these $35 machines have shipped since last February, capturing the imaginations of educators, hobbyists and tinkerers around the world.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/31/te...me&ref=general

    ---

    minir

  2. #2
    Ft. Couch! morbidpete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    W. Warwick RI
    Posts
    7,279
    Very cool device, XBMC Frodo just added support for it. Looking to replace my dedicated XBMC pc's with the Pi's.. The even cheaper model a's should be out soon. Only problem is there are no MPEG-2 hardware decoding unless you buy the license separably.

  3. #3
    R.I.P. 2015-05-13 minir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    27,942
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by morbidpete View Post
    Very cool device, XBMC Frodo just added support for it. Looking to replace my dedicated XBMC pc's with the Pi's.. The even cheaper model a's should be out soon. Only problem is there are no MPEG-2 hardware decoding unless you buy the license separably.
    ---

    Hi morbidpete

    I'd never heard of it before & thought some here might be interested in it. I see your way ahead of the game...Good for you.

    Enjoy

    Larry

  4. #4
    Senior Member nightowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    ottawa, canada (ROCKS)
    Posts
    7,412
    I got one...its pretty neat! just a FYI if you get the pi + WIFI dongle + case + charger + HDMI to vga adapter you are looking at about 100$
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilog B
    Loading the dishwasher at brembo's house means bringing the fiancee a sixpack home.

  5. #5
    Ft. Couch! morbidpete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    W. Warwick RI
    Posts
    7,279
    Quote Originally Posted by nightowl View Post
    I got one...its pretty neat! just a FYI if you get the pi + WIFI dongle + case + charger + HDMI to vga adapter you are looking at about 100$
    My plan:
    xbmcfrodo
    hardwired (already in place for current PC)
    HDMI (currently used for current PC)
    use the USB on the TV to power it, or a small 1amp USB charger I have laying around along with the cable.
    using my current Flirc (flirc.tv) to control it with my harmony remote.
    a case is my only accessory I need.


    What case did you grab?
    I want something I can stick to the back of the TV possibly

  6. #6
    Senior Member nightowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    ottawa, canada (ROCKS)
    Posts
    7,412
    Quote Originally Posted by morbidpete View Post
    My plan:
    xbmcfrodo
    hardwired (already in place for current PC)
    HDMI (currently used for current PC)
    use the USB on the TV to power it, or a small 1amp USB charger I have laying around along with the cable.
    using my current Flirc (flirc.tv) to control it with my harmony remote.
    a case is my only accessory I need.


    What case did you grab?
    I want something I can stick to the back of the TV possibly

    i got a cheap red case....there are cases out there that allow you to mount it onm the back of the monitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilog B
    Loading the dishwasher at brembo's house means bringing the fiancee a sixpack home.

  7. #7
    Domesticated Primate Bastid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States
    Posts
    8,021
    This is relative to my interests... I scanned over the article a few days ago and was kinda like meh that's cool and forgot about it. Friend of mine was talking about them today and piqued my interests. I have never messed with linux becausei was scared of frying something i have put a lot of money into or just didnt know enough ect ect... but now im very excited that this is coming to fruition so i can tinker with stuff
    Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
    I often wonder if the voices in my head ever get frustrated because I'm just too damn lazy to climb that clock tower.
    Click image to enlarge
    click image to view full version

  8. #8
    Ft. Couch! morbidpete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    W. Warwick RI
    Posts
    7,279
    Well, Just placed my order for the 2. Need to shop around for cases and SD cards

  9. #9
    Domesticated Primate Bastid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States
    Posts
    8,021
    Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
    I often wonder if the voices in my head ever get frustrated because I'm just too damn lazy to climb that clock tower.
    Click image to enlarge
    click image to view full version

  10. #10

  11. #11
    Ft. Couch! morbidpete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    W. Warwick RI
    Posts
    7,279
    all that is left is to figure out how to get the multichannel sound to my receiver. My TV will not pass thru 5.1. need either an adapter to yank out the audio via toslink or a new AV receiver (im leaning towards a new receiver)

  12. #12
    Domesticated Primate Bastid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States
    Posts
    8,021
    Thats the one i was leaning towards but i did see a clear acrylic one that had some nice etching on it but i cant remember where i saw it... lol
    Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
    I often wonder if the voices in my head ever get frustrated because I'm just too damn lazy to climb that clock tower.
    Click image to enlarge
    click image to view full version

  13. #13
    Domesticated Primate Bastid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States
    Posts
    8,021
    Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
    I often wonder if the voices in my head ever get frustrated because I'm just too damn lazy to climb that clock tower.
    Click image to enlarge
    click image to view full version

  14. #14
    Domesticated Primate Bastid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States
    Posts
    8,021
    Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
    I often wonder if the voices in my head ever get frustrated because I'm just too damn lazy to climb that clock tower.
    Click image to enlarge
    click image to view full version

  15. #15
    Elite Member BaLa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Temple. Texas
    Posts
    14,365
    Seems pretty cool.

  16. #16
    Ft. Couch! morbidpete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    W. Warwick RI
    Posts
    7,279
    Well my PI's arrived today. I have one up and running XBIAN. Working great. Just waiting for my keys to playback MPEG2 and VC1. $4.50 for both codecs for 1 Pi. Only issues so far is NextPVR is not compatible, So it crashes on loadup of the PVR. Disabled for now. I only use the pvr for sports anyways and football is over

    Setting up the video sources was a pain since my storage server is on my domain with authenticated shares. Learning experience there

  17. #17
    Senior Member loop2kil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    5,232
    Quote Originally Posted by morbidpete View Post
    Well my PI's arrived today. I have one up and running XBIAN. Working great. Just waiting for my keys to playback MPEG2 and VC1. $4.50 for both codecs for 1 Pi. Only issues so far is NextPVR is not compatible, So it crashes on loadup of the PVR. Disabled for now. I only use the pvr for sports anyways and football is over

    Setting up the video sources was a pain since my storage server is on my domain with authenticated shares. Learning experience there
    What was your total setup and running cost?

  18. #18
    Ft. Couch! morbidpete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    W. Warwick RI
    Posts
    7,279
    $77.59 for 2x Rasp Pi (includes shipping)
    $27.80 for the 2x cases (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
    $16.00 for 2x Sandisk 8GB Class 10 SD Card (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

    $121.39 total

    $60.70 per

    It will pay for it's self in a few month's in the electric bill.


    I had extra micro usb and hdmi cables on hand. I dont pay shipping with amazon since I'm a prime member.
    I also already use a flirc and harmoney 650 to control the old XBMC PC. The flirc worked with out having to do anything

  19. #19
    Elite Member TonyT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    10,344
    Quote Originally Posted by morbidpete View Post
    My plan:
    xbmcfrodo
    hardwired (already in place for current PC)
    HDMI (currently used for current PC)
    use the USB on the TV to power it, or a small 1amp USB charger I have laying around along with the cable.
    using my current Flirc (flirc.tv) to control it with my harmony remote.
    a case is my only accessory I need.
    I tinkered with xbmc all last week on several different Debian installs, a win7 install and ended up using xp on the comp.
    This was all just research and play until I build a dedicated system, probably using a zbox barebones.

    FYI, frodo has apps for android/ios now that lets a device (phone, table) be a remote control for it.
    http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title...Remote/Android
    http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title...BMC_Remote/iOS
    Last edited by TonyT; 03-16-13 at 08:18 AM.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

    LRH

  20. #20
    Ft. Couch! morbidpete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    W. Warwick RI
    Posts
    7,279
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    I tinkered with xbmc all last week on several different Debian installs, a win7 install and ended up using xp on the comp.
    This was all just research and play until I build a dedicated system, probably using a zbox barebones.

    FYI, frodo has apps for android/ios now that lets a device (phone, table) be a remote control for it.
    http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title...Remote/Android
    http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title...BMC_Remote/iOS
    It's a very powerful piece of software. Been my main source of media for 3+ years now. I have 3 dedicated kits for XBMC in the house. It does everything from Live tv to my music and TV shows, Hulu and Amazon prime. I used to use the ios app exclusively to control it. But them I purchased 2 Flircs. I now use them with a harmony 650

    the Constellation app blows every other XBMC remote out of the water

    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/xbmc...437807301?mt=8

Similar Threads

  1. Tiny Tim's First WU is in!
    By YARDofSTUF in forum Distributed Computing
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-22-06, 04:53 PM
  2. Tiny and OOL
    By bob9 in forum Network Security
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-18-01, 02:23 PM
  3. Tiny
    By KSJNX in forum Network Security
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-02-01, 11:15 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •