Thread: Old Gas Stations

Blog Entries

Cool Old Gas Stations

I remember most of these, when service came with the gas.

Old gas stations

http://hipspics.freewebspace.com/gas/gas.html

---

minir

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Some great pics Larry.....
    I'd love to be able to print out some of those to hang in my garage.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Some great pics Larry.....
    I'd love to be able to print out some of those to hang in my garage.
    ---

They would make a nice display in a garage YOSC. Back in the 60's i had a BP Station and we used to wear a leather bow tie with our uniforms along with a hat and always cleaned the windshield, checked the oil and did a quick belt inspection while under the hood and asked if we could empty your ashtrays as well. Given time we would also check your tire pressures as well.

The topper was we gave out points for each purchase and you could redeem your points for free glassware. Different world back then.

---

Larry

SG Enthusiast
    Cool pics of old stations and cars. I remember my grandfathers cars that looked like that.

Quote Originally Posted by minir View Post
    ---

They would make a nice display in a garage YOSC. Back in the 60's i had a BP Station and we used to wear a leather bow tie with our uniforms along with a hat and always cleaned the windshield, checked the oil and did a quick belt inspection while under the hood and asked if we could empty your ashtrays as well. Given time we would also check your tire pressures as well.

The topper was we gave out points for each purchase and you could redeem your points for free glassware. Different world back then.

---

Larry
    I do remember the full service gas stations like that...when I was a little kid in the back of my parents car. Cleaning the windshield and wipers....popping open the hood and checking oils 'n belts. That stuff slowly disappeared by the end of the 70's...some would still do your windshield. By the mid 80's ...full service meant they only pumped your gas.

You can hardly find even that kind of full service station anymore....they're all self service.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 24giovanni View Post
    Cool pics of old stations and cars. I remember my grandfathers cars that looked like that.
    ---

Me, I got to drive them 24giovanni. I'm an old people.

They still bring back memories of my misspent youth and the fun times at the Drive-in Restaurants & Movie Theaters we enjoyed in those days. Girls in skirts & the never ending struggle to get at their Mus N Touch

Good times.

---

regards

Larry

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    I do remember the full service gas stations like that...when I was a little kid in the back of my parents car. Cleaning the windshield and wipers....popping open the hood and checking oils 'n belts. That stuff slowly disappeared by the end of the 70's...some would still do your windshield. By the mid 80's ...full service meant they only pumped your gas.

You can hardly find even that kind of full service station anymore....they're all self service.
    ---

Thank goodness the cars of today are so reliable YOSC. Back then the men relied on the fact that the stations looked after those things as most women drivers had no clue about engine levels etc.

In the boonies where i live a couple of stations will still do those things if asked, but the big thing is most no longer have Air Pumps to fill your tires if needed. It really at times can be a dangerous situation as few have these facilities anymore.

---

Larry

Larry these photos are great! This one really intrigues me- is it parking? Long term storage? Car sales???

http://hipspics.freewebspace.com/gas/gas27.jpg
    Observe everything...focus on nothing..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twwabw View Post
    Larry these photos are great! This one really intrigues me- is it parking? Long term storage? Car sales???

---

I believe it to be an elevated parking garage twwabw ? Making maximum usage of a little real-estate. With the advent of more and more cars on the road new innovative thinking was requred as to where to park them especially in downtown situations where empty lots where both expensive and hard to find and id you can't grow out, grow up.

Just my guess twwabw

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by twwabw View Post

Yup those are still common today in New York City...and I'm sure other big cities. Basically they're ways of turning a small lot into a parking garage...when their is not enough room to build the typical multi-level parking garage that you drive in and around.

Basically the approach that a lumber yard uses for storage using a fork lift....
    Guinness for Strength!!!

404 Sanity Not Found PsykoPenguin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I live right around the corner from Cucamonga Service Station, it's long been abandoned and no ones moved into it as long as I've been here.
    I always wondered what it was before but thanks to you now I know.
    "I'm like a lion on the prowl after prey"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PsykoPenguin View Post
    I live right around the corner from Cucamonga Service Station, it's long been abandoned and no ones moved into it as long as I've been here.
    I always wondered what it was before but thanks to you now I know.
    ===

Sure looks like a very scenic area PsykoPenguin

---

Larry

In a dry but moldy New Orleans, Louisiana
    I forget which state it is, there's one state it's against the law to pump your own gas. If you do pump your own gas, you can get a ticket and/or jailtime.
    Sliding down the banister of life ..........................

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RoundEye View Post
    I forget which state it is, there's one state it's against the law to pump your own gas. If you do pump your own gas, you can get a ticket and/or jailtime.
    ---

Could not believe that RoundEye so i Googled it &

Dear Yahoo!:
    Why is it illegal to pump your own gas in New Jersey?
    Christina
    Massapequa, New York
    Dear Christina:
    The Garden State is one of two states where it's illegal to fill 'er up yourself. Only gas station owners or employees can pump gas in New Jersey and Oregon -- "the only two states atavistic, sadistic, and masochistic enough to still require thousands of 'professionals' to waste time, money, and inconvenience customers," according to one columnist.
    The ban on self-service gas stations is a highly combustible issue and makes for some heated debates. New Jersey passed the law making it illegal to pump your own gas in 1949. At the time, legislators felt it was too dangerous to have untrained people dispensing such a flammable liquid.

That may have been sensible at the time, but pumping gas is much safer today, and some motorists feel the ban is outdated and needs to go. Opponents of the law argue that removing it would lower the cost of gas and make refueling much quicker and more convenient. Proponents of the ban argue that it creates jobs and customers like full service.

Whatever your position on the matter, next time you're in Jersey and need to refuel, take the opportunity to relax in the comfort of your car while the gas station attendant does the dirty work.

http://ask.yahoo.com/20040715.html

---

WoW!!!

Larry

In a dry but moldy New Orleans, Louisiana
    Hey Minir, told ya so.

There's one place gas is 25.9 and they are advertizing registered rest rooms.
    Sliding down the banister of life ..........................

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RoundEye View Post
    Hey Minir, told ya so.

There's one place gas is 25.9 and they are advertizing registered rest rooms.
    ---

Hi RoundEye

I simply could not believe that they could be that out of touch with today's world.

Restrooms where a big thing back then RoundEye. I used to keep mine spotless and just hated to do the Womans as it was typically a real disaster. I learned early on women are pigs when it comes to washrooms. I never expected that but it was true on both the service station and in most Bars as well. For some reason they just loved to make a mess.

Gas was cheap back then but so where wages. $35 bucks a week was not bad in those times. I recall as teens we'd pool our money and if we came up with 50 or 75 Cents we could cruise the drag looking for beaver most of the night.

---

Larry