Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Get Windows 8 Pro for 15 bucks

Get Windows 8 Pro for 15 bucks

You can get Windows 8 for 15 bucks:
    http://www.windowsupgradeoffer.com/en-US

The catch is you must have a Windows 7 PC purchased in 2012. (the Year dropdown select field implies this offer will be good in 2013 as well)

The site does not check when your PC was purchased, thus a loophole. However, if your PC was purchased prior to 2012 and you take advantage of this offer, you will be in violation of the site's Terms of Use Agreement.

I built myself a new desktop today, installed Windows 7 and it's downloading Windows 8 Pro as I type this. I never do upgrade installs for operating systems, but in this case it was a clean install of 7 with nothing else installed except drivers.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    I'll be waiting for when I get a tablet or a convertible laptop....to be running Windows 8. Have played with it at the office on a regular desktop and netbook...but IMO it's really an OS that works much better in a tablet/convertible laptop setup....where you'll use the touchscreen. For standard desktop users....most will prefer the more traditional Windows setup of 7.

You may be looking for that uninstall/rollback feature....
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by yeoldestonecat View Post
    i'll be waiting for when i get a tablet or a convertible laptop....to be running windows 8. Have played with it at the office on a regular desktop and netbook...but imo it's really an os that works much better in a tablet/convertible laptop setup....where you'll use the touchscreen. For standard desktop users....most will prefer the more traditional windows setup of 7.

You may be looking for that uninstall/rollback feature....
    This man speaks the truth!!!!

IMHO it's just Windows 7 with some new features, a better Windows Explorer and Metro. Metro is best on touchscreens though. I installed it because I need to learn it so I can fix clients' systems. I will probably write my own start menu app.

LRH

Pay for and download Start8 (I know MS should have given users the option to begin with). Makes the Win 8 experience a little less of a pain (unless you have a touch screen).

Nope. The OS has under the hood improvements. Runs significantly faster than 7 on my PC.

I like it so far. Installed it a week ago.

I did do an install on a much older system (like 6 years old). Ran ok.

I ran it for a while on several of my PC's, two desktops and one laptop. For one reason or another they all ended up going back to Windows 7. I agree with what yeoldestonecat said. On a touch device its probably great, on a regular desktop or laptop, not so much. I had a lot of problems with the Metro interface. I've had one or more apps just quit and refuse to launch. On my other desktop after doing a windows update, the Metro screen came up but was totally unresponsive. No tiles would work, not even the desktop tiles. The hot corners were dead too. Task manager was MIA too. I was going to have to ditch it at the end of January anyway so I just went back to Windows 7. None of my PC's qualify for the 15 dollar upgrade offer anyway so I'd be looking at the 40 buck upgrade offer. Right now I don't think I'm going to byte. I'm hoping to get a new laptop or maybe a tablet latter on in the new year so that will be my Windows 8 device. Most of my problem I attribute to my older hardware. If I hadn't had the problems I did, I think I'd be more inclined to buy at least one upgrade for my main desktop PC.
    I don't know the same things you don't know.

Ive been running it for some time now and I have no real issues with it at all, sure the metro thing is a little annoying on a desktop without touchscreen but I switch to what looks much the same as windows 7 desktop and works from there. PC performance seems improved to me start up from an ssd is amazing and I get more fps in games. Everything I have tried to run so far has run perfectly fine all except ftp software that seems to have a forced speed limit on downloads that I would love to remove but so far finding information on that is difficult to say the least.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    I've had one or more apps just quit and refuse to launch.
    That's the big thing. As a "replacement PC"...you have to inventory all of your important software, and peripherals...and ensure that what you need to use....is compatible with Windows 8.

For home users (which I don't cater to in my business)....this isn't a big deal. Surf the web, pair with a smart phone, camera, home grade el cheapo inkjet printer...their wireless router, and they're done.

But for businesses....the main rule of thumb is...they don't even consider the latest OS from Microsoft until after the first service pack is out (usually ~ a year later)..and even then...they'll stay behind for another couple of years. Because businesses rely on lots of different LOB (Line of Business) apps...and big expensive equipment like networked MFPs, huge printers, etc. Over 95% of my clients are businesses...so I have zero interest in Windows 8.

I don't even have a tablet....I need to do too much for a tablet, so most of my use is from a 14" laptop. Perhaps I'll get a tablet/convertible sometime next year through some promo...but I'm in no rush to go out and spend money on one. Nor do I have any interest in installing Win8 on my laptop (even though I get it for free)....and try to get it to look like Windows 7 by installing some ad-ware laden freebie start menu hack.

To me...Win8 is sorta like Vista....going for a big change, but they didn't fully cook it in the oven yet. The next OS will be more polished. Microsoft has had a history of a pattern or releases....some bad...the next one better, repeat cycle.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

It seems to me, it could have been so much better, Metro especially. Metro being one screen only and full screen only is a big letdown to me. Great multi monitor support for desktop applications though. I'm not sure what they were thinking with Windows RT though.

So far we have "upgraded" to iPads, iPods (touch) and multiple iPhones...I think I'll just upgrade to a Mac Mini and a Mac Pro and call it a day! There are so many attributes with Apple products I can't even list them all...nice try MS, day late and a dollar short! Windows ATE (8) sucks, same crap, different day!

Quote Originally Posted by BMED View Post
    Windows ATE (8) sucks, same crap, different day!

So far , so good.
    I am getting used to Windows 8.
    Since this is a home desktop I've not had any issues with older software.
    In fact, I am even using Paint Shop Pro 7.04 on it.

At first I hated Metro. But I learned how to customize it to meet my needs...a lot of right clicking, unpinning and pinning, and uninstalling. And I have absolutely no use for the Microsoft Store and its apps. Nor do I want a hotmail or msn account. It really sucks that you cannot use the store unless you have a MS email account. Thus, no store for me. But again, I have no use for its apps.

I also have a custom installation package that loads all of the Windows 7 Games. I use Chess Titans and Solitaire (my only gaming). All of the software I use is pinned to Start screen or the Taskbar. If I need to access other programs I can easily browse to Program Data/Microsoft/Windows/Start Menu/Programs, or create a shortcut to there & pin it.

Name:  Image1.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  51.7 KB

The final tests will come today when I see how many versions of Turbo Tax will run.

Oh, and I will NOT setup my business clients with Windows 8 for at least a year or more, and even then most will have software conflicts.

LRH

Thanks for the desktop picture. Very

Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    .... And I have absolutely no use for the Microsoft Store and its apps. Nor do I want a hotmail or msn account. It really sucks that you cannot use the store unless you have a MS email account. Thus, no store for me. But again, I have no use for its apps.....
    I was able to setup an 'MS' account using my gmail email. It did not force me to get an MS email. Don't you already have an account with MS do get their special offers (master microsoft dude or something?) You should be able to sign in and use the app store with that account.

As for Windows 8, I took the plunge and just finished installing on my laptop. Runs pretty smooth and while I'm not in love with Metro yet, I can see it working out fine once I get it setup for my needs.

I used my Microsoft Live ID for log in and store. I had used my ISP supplied pop3 e-mail for that when I originally signed up. With the Live ID it keeps track of your settings like user account picture, wallpaper, lock screen wallpaper, etc. You can turn the sync on or off and it will sync across multiple PC's. When I did my second install on another PC it synced everything on the new install to match the first install. You can include or exclude a PC or just certain elements on that PC from the sync. I also switched back to a local account and still had access to the store. My store apps still updated. I can't remember if I actually tried to download or install one from the local account though.

When someone can figure out how to make multiple users see the same desktop. let me know.

Windows Automated Installation Kit?

Have a look at these locations.

For Your Account Only:
    C:\Users\User-Name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

For All User Accounts:
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs