Thread: New build

New build

Family members got me gift cards for Microcenter for xmas. I want to build a new Intel desktop. I already have 2 new 500 GB drives someone gave me, as well as 2 new 4 GB sticks of Corsair Vengance DDR3 someone else gave me a while ago. I think I also have a couple decent GPUs laying around too. I need a case, motherboard and cpu. No gaming at all, except Windows Chess Titans. What should I get? Budget is about 500 bucks.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

I would suggest Newegg.com just for comparisons. You should be able to get a general idea of what you can get as far as the motherboard and CPU and then apply that info toward Microcenter's store/site. The case would be up to you after getting the former info I suppose. I do apologize as I have never dealt with Microcenter.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    I am a fan of Antec cases.
    As for motherboards, Asus...or Intel. Power supplies....Seasonic is my favorite, Antec too.
    Lately however, I'm a fan of ultra small form factor...and quietness...as well as low power consumption, low noise. That Microcenter site does have one of the smaller Antec cases...a minitower with a green power supply, about 90 bucks.
    That website also has a ThermalTake mini-ITX case (sorta like a small "Shuttle" if you've seen those)....I'd be interested in that too.
    As to what motherboard....as Cain hinted above....case and motherboard..depend on each other for form factor. Decide what size/type you want first..and then select the components based on the choice.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Check out Zalman z9 pro case with USB3. I have the USB 2 version and its an awsome case for almost half the price of an antec case!

http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=051622

oh and if you can afford it get a intel 330 120gig SSD. They are under 100$ and it will make your load times incredible (R/W=500/450 mbit sec)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilog B
    Loading the dishwasher at brembo's house means bringing the fiancee a sixpack home.