Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CD's hardware questions thread.

CD's hardware questions thread.

Question or two. Not too happy with the way my almost 2 year old home built PC has been performing as of late.

I have 3gb and 6 gb ports on the board. Currently have the Sata HD plugged into the 3gb port. Read online the other day that I would not benefit moving to the 6gb port unless I had a SSD. True?

Disappointed with my recent memory upgrade from 6 GB to 12 GB. Seems as if the PC got "slower" if that is possible? (Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit)

Been moving alot of files around the hard drive lately. Have 14% fragmentation on the drive (culprit?) Ran chkdsk on the drive at the command prompt level. No errors found. Going to do the "restart" chkdsk here shortly.

BIOS is from 2010, if that means anything.

Malware free, of course.

If you have a capable 6Gb HDD I would plug it into that port (potential speed never hurts). Have you checked the BIOS and made sure the memory is operating at the appropriate timings? Might be the drive. I would suggest running the diagnostic software from the manufacturer. Lastly, is there a BIOS update available (won't hurt)? Have a Merry Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by RaisinCain View Post
    If you have a capable 6Gb HDD I would plug it into that port (potential speed never hurts).
    Good call. It is only a 3gb HDD, so I will leave as is.

Have you checked the BIOS and made sure the memory is operating at the appropriate timings?
    Will take a look.

Might be the drive. I would suggest running the diagnostic software from the manufacturer.
    Will take a look

Lastly, is there a BIOS update available (won't hurt)?
    Working on that one.

Have a Merry Christmas!
    You too. and thanks for the response.

Chkdsk found no errors (took 2 hours, but it is 1 terabyte, so I'm not surprised it took so long)

Ran the short test with the diagnostic software from the Manufacturer. No problems.

Looked in the bios for timings.....Most confusing thing I have ever seen.

Here is the info on the Memory

DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
    Timing 9-9-9-24
    Cas Latency 9
    Voltage 1.65V

Quote Originally Posted by CableDude View Post
    Here is the info on the Memory

DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
    Timing 9-9-9-24
    Cas Latency 9
    Voltage 1.65V
    Can't figure out how to change anything in the bios to match the above.

what hard disc are you running ?

It's a seagate and apparently it is heavily fragmented. Been defragging for 5 hours now.

Can't figure out how to change anything in the bios to match the above.
    you will have to change the memory options to manual to adjust their settings, and seriously look at getting a SSD for your OS drive, major difference in speed
    4930K@4.3~32GBGskill~asusX79deluxe~r9-280x~240GB-SSD-OS drive~500GB-SSD-scratch~240GB-SSD-thrash~2TB storage~Windows 7 pro
    *~ SG stats ~my stats

hot deal here................

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16820226254

might get me one to upgrade my raid-0 SSD's
    4930K@4.3~32GBGskill~asusX79deluxe~r9-280x~240GB-SSD-OS drive~500GB-SSD-scratch~240GB-SSD-thrash~2TB storage~Windows 7 pro
    *~ SG stats ~my stats

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    you will have to change the memory options to manual to adjust their settings
    Everything is set to auto. Will have to look at this a little more.

Took about 7 hours to defrag. I gained about 4 gigs of space after the defrag.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Disappointed with my recent memory upgrade from 6 GB to 12 GB. Seems as if the PC got "slower" if that is possible? (Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit)
    PC should not be slower. Make sure the memory is arranged optimally....not sure what your memory type is...either in proper pairs....or in proper triplets. In the correct banks.

Depending on what you do with your computer....what applications you use...with Windows 7, for most users...8 gigs of RAM is the "sweet spot". Quite a bit quicker than 4 gigs of RAM, but if you install additional memory above 8 gigs...you really see no additional benefit. Unless you run some seriously memory utilizing applications like video editing, sound editing, graphics design software, etc. Example...I just configured a Dell for a client..a Precision workstation...Xeon processor, 16 gigs of RAM, nVidia Quadro 2 gig graphics card, 900 gig 10,000rpm SAS hard drives (yes server hard drives)...she's an architect...her software will benefit from it.

But back to your memory...is your virtual memory (pagefile.sys) set to be "System managed"? Or is it set to some min/max size? Set it to system managed. And...here's the big thing...if you have multiple HDDs in your computer (not multiple partitions..but multiple drives...spindles)....put a system managed pagefile on both (or more) drives. My office computer that I'm typing from right now....I actually snagged an old 80 gig SATA drive that I slapped in there purely for pagefile. Having your pagefile available on a drive other than your system drive gives a good boost in performance.

Lastely...perhaps your current HDD is failing, or not optimal. I like 3+ year enterprise grade drives....such as Western Digitals "Black Edition" drives.....or better yet...their "RE4" series drives. 64 meg cache models. 5 year warranty.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    PC should not be slower. Make sure the memory is arranged optimally....not sure what your memory type is...either in proper pairs....or in proper triplets. In the correct banks.
    Triple

Depending on what you do with your computer....what applications you use...with Windows 7, for most users...8 gigs of RAM is the "sweet spot". Quite a bit quicker than 4 gigs of RAM, but if you install additional memory above 8 gigs...you really see no additional benefit. Unless you run some seriously memory utilizing applications like video editing, sound editing, graphics design software, etc. Example...I just configured a Dell for a client..a Precision workstation...Xeon processor, 16 gigs of RAM, nVidia Quadro 2 gig graphics card, 900 gig 10,000rpm SAS hard drives (yes server hard drives)...she's an architect...her software will benefit from it.

Good to know about that "sweet spot". Maybe I should install Windows Server 2012 (64-bit).

But back to your memory...is your virtual memory (pagefile.sys) set to be "System managed"? Or is it set to some min/max size? Set it to system managed. And...here's the big thing...if you have multiple HDDs in your computer (not multiple partitions..but multiple drives...spindles)....put a system managed pagefile on both (or more) drives. My office computer that I'm typing from right now....I actually snagged an old 80 gig SATA drive that I slapped in there purely for pagefile. Having your pagefile available on a drive other than your system drive gives a good boost in performance.
    System Managed. I do have an extra SATA drive (120 gb) that I will look installing and moving the pagefile.sys to. I do recall doing this to an older system a few years ago....and it seemed to help.

Lastely...perhaps your current HDD is failing, or not optimal. I like 3+ year enterprise grade drives....such as Western Digitals "Black Edition" drives.....or better yet...their "RE4" series drives. 64 meg cache models. 5 year warranty.
    Will look at other HDDs. Current one is

The drive was very fragmented as I had never done a defrag. Still puzzled as to why I am still 11% fragmented after a 7 hour defrag!

System Managed. I do have an extra SATA drive (120 gb) that I will look installing and moving the pagefile.sys to. I do recall doing this to an older system a few years ago....and it seemed to help.
    Add as another pagefile. "Moving" the pagefile infers you still just have 1x pagefile..and you're moving it from C to D. I prefer a pagefile on each spindle.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

YOSC,

You like this for the pagefile HDD?

Western Digital WD1200JD 120 GB
    Serial ATA
    Date: 07 May 2005

I would install CPUID http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

It will help you confirm that your BIOS FSB is set correctly since it will show you your memory spec and if you leave it open while running a CPU intensive program you can watch the info in the CPU tab and it will show you the core speed, multiplier and bus speed.

Let's start there.

YOSC,

You like this for the pagefile HDD?
    S'long as the drive is in good shape shape...doesn't really matter what it is.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Cool there is a portable version, will try it later tonight.

I don't seem to see any Mobo specs, model, cpu description. What exactly do you have now in this build?

I didn't bother with Graphics from CPU-Z