Thread: Come across a bit of a networking predicament.

404 Sanity Not Found PsykoPenguin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Come across a bit of a networking predicament.

Not sure if anyone here has tried to get more than 1 Xbox 360 in the same household to get an Open NAT but let me tell ya it's a pain in the rear end.
    So anyway, my issue is that I have 8 Xbox 360's total (8 people total, it's not that big of house but they all seem to fit within the small rooms and 4 are inside the Master Bedroom. Bunk Beds FTW.) all trying to access Xbox Live and all of them want an Open NAT but that's just not happening with this setup.
    This is for a friend and his roommates.

Right now all they got is a router (with DDWRT after I got my hands on it.) that leads to a 16 port switch. One will for sure always get an Open NAT (whichever is turned on first.) the rest maybe one or 2 others will get lucky and get Open NAT as well somehow but others will get Moderate or Strict NAT. Anyway what I'm trying to accomplish is get all of them to get Open NAT all the time without having much issues.

Maybe it was due to the fact that I was using 2 different routers of 2 different brands that my double router setup here at home was giving me issues with the Xbox 360 on the 2nd router (would have to test my connection first before even connecting to xbox live otherwise it would fail to connect but otherwise was open and fine.) but was thinking of doing something similar but I thought bout the whole issue I had.

I've tried port forwarding but that only works for 1 360, DMZ as well and Port Triggering but none of it really allows them all to connect to Live with an Open NAT so here I am asking you guys to see if you guys had any suggestions or possibly point out something I missed.. I know for a fact a multi router setup (each having their own router with ports forwarded and such) does work but that's a lot of routers not sure if I can get around this (unsure if it'll have issues with the whole thing I had with me having to test my connection first to even connect to XBL.).
    "I'm like a lion on the prowl after prey"

I would think uPnP would be handling it if enabled. Sounds like you are going to need a smarter router. One that you can open ports(tcp&UDP) on a switch port basses. AKA open port 4369 on switch port 2 or something along those lines.

I'm sure Cat or the other more experianced users will have a better suggestion. Unta

404 Sanity Not Found PsykoPenguin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by morbidpete View Post
    I would think uPnP would be handling it if enabled. Sounds like you are going to need a smarter router. One that you can open ports(tcp&UDP) on a switch port basses. AKA open port 4369 on switch port 2 or something along those lines.

I'm sure Cat or the other more experianced users will have a better suggestion. Unta
    It's enabled but yeah, doesn't really work out either way, keep tinkering with different settings but same results each time. It's driving me nuts. Well thanks for the input, hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. For now they're all just dealing with it as it comes along.
    "I'm like a lion on the prowl after prey"

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    I haven't had to fix multiple XBox units behind the same router...but I've seen the strict NAT thing a lot.

Not many routers are totally "XBox friendly"...which utilizes a tweaked version of UPnP.
    First...ensure if your router has UPnP support....that it is turned on. That will tickle the port triggering for each one as needed.
    Else...you'd have to manually port forward the following...but you can only port forward to 1x internal node at a time...you cannot forward to muptiple internal hosts.
    • UDP 88
    • UDP 3074
    • TCP 3074

Next....oddly enough the XBox live prefers an MTU of 1384....so set that on your router.
    Make sure you're not double NAT'd too....what make/model modem do you have, and what router? With many ISPs...the "modem" they give you is actually a combo modem/router...so if you stick your own router behind that...you end up with a router behind another router...and a "double NAT" setup, which you don't want.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Hopefully this will help you out (I know it only involves 2 but in theory it should work for your situation).

http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-3...2-xbox-360-why