Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with New PC Purchase Please.

Help with New PC Purchase Please.

Hello All!

Need some advise please. Iím looking at buying hubby a new pc tower for Christmas and although he has not really played any online games in the last year he is a gamer and I would like to get one that will support games if/when he decides to play again.

He normally plays games like Diablo, City of Heroís, DAOC, and I think World of warcraft. (I am having a brain freeze and really hope these are the games he played and Iím not remembering the games the kids played) I know he likes fantasy/role playing gamesÖ.

I know I would like to get a pc with a good processor and graphics card and would like to stay around 600 if possible. But I have no idea what processor/graphics card to look for, Is the price range possible and any suggestions on what pc?

Thanks so much
    Pam
    Pammy ((:

Try to look at others faults as gently as we look at our own!

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    The above little Alienware isn't bad.....trying to find the balance of budget vs gaming performance, if you can bump the budget to 799 you'll be better.
    That Alienware system....take the mid-range processor...the i5, and go with 8 gigs of RAM. The base graphics card on it is good enough. Price is without monitor. Probably no speakers either.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    The above little Alienware isn't bad.....trying to find the balance of budget vs gaming performance, if you can bump the budget to 799 you'll be better.
    That Alienware system....take the mid-range processor...the i5, and go with 8 gigs of RAM. The base graphics card on it is good enough. Price is without monitor. Probably no speakers either.
    Once again you try to "better" my suggestion. It's fine for what he is playing.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisinCain View Post

LOL he's not trying to "better" you or make you feel bad or belittle you in any way,

he was just adding to the discussion,he does computer stuff for a living and I for one value his opinion.

you need to get a grip, and try real hard to make friends here instead of continually alienating yourself .

Emerald Triangle looking for EA and some trainwreck!
    Your so petty it makes me laugh. I would take YOSC suggestion over yours any day of the week, end of story.

If he has a 22" or larger monitor the Nvidia GTX 640 is going to be pure crap, and below that just barely gets by. The 660 is a very viable card though. If he gets into any modern games, The 640 will either not get the job done, or he will have to turn the graphics down so bad that it will look horrible.

Looking at HP's site you can customize a HPE h8-1400t series with a Nvidia GTX 660 for 900 bucks, or with an AMD Radeon HD 7770 for 850.

Newegg has this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883227441

iBuyPower and CyberPower both come in around teh 900-1000 dollar mark as well.

Boo freaking hoo hoo.
    And...please point out where I stepped on your short little self?
    You pointed to a model...but you did not do A SINGLE THING to select which configuration. It starts out with 4 different configurations..and the customer goes from there. YOU didn't specify which configuration...so where TF did I "one up" you? Huh? Please point it out to the crowd here...go ahead...POINT IT OUT! Where exactly did you specify which processor to her, which memory config to her, which graphics card to her, and which HDD to her? Go...point it out to the crowd here. Without going back and trying to edit your link to make it look like you did!

I agreed with your model, notice that I did type "THAT Alienware system". I just went a step further and went pretty much right down the middle.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

what an idiot... gotta be baiting there's no way he is that stupid ... nvm

those games are not that demanding graphics wise, maybe get him a new game to go with it?

Hey Ace > USB bong under the tree this year maybe?

I was going to post a link to that thread, but the SG search results for "bullsh|t" were too numerous

sometimes you have to think outside the box to get inside the box .

wow, i came in here looking for some ideas and had to

Stonecat, I think it was your reference to the word "little" that may have set him off.........

Boo freaking hoo hoo.
    And...please point out where I stepped on your short little self?
    You pointed to a model...but you did not do A SINGLE THING to select which configuration. It starts out with 4 different configurations..and the customer goes from there. YOU didn't specify which configuration...so where TF did I "one up" you? Huh? Please point it out to the crowd here...go ahead...POINT IT OUT! Where exactly did you specify which processor to her, which memory config to her, which graphics card to her, and which HDD to her? Go...point it out to the crowd here. Without going back and trying to edit your link to make it look like you did!

I agreed with your model, notice that I did type "THAT Alienware system". I just went a step further and went pretty much right down the middle.

I gave the OP a starting point as far as configuration and price point. I didn't need to be quoted and then 1 upped. So everyone with the negative comments can kiss my ass.

I gave the OP a starting point as far as configuration and price point. I didn't need to be quoted and then 1 upped. So everyone with the negative comments can kiss my ass.
    This isn't the RasinCain Advice Forums. Generally people like to hear from more than 1 person.

You always seem to have an attitude, or a problem with people. The goal here is to be helpful, share ideas, opinions, stuff like that. If you can't get with the program maybe you should just get out.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    This isn't the RasinCain Advice Forums. Generally people like to hear from more than 1 person.

You always seem to have an attitude, or a problem with people. The goal here is to be helpful, share ideas, opinions, stuff like that. If you can't get with the program maybe you should just get out.
    I understand that. I only get an attitude when people are demeaning. I stand by my previous comment.

I understand that. I only get an attitude when people are demeaning. I stand by my previous comment.

LOL you get back what you put out.

Seriously, put your stubbly little prick on the table and show us where anyone tossed aside your suggestion, or one upped it?

You pointed to a Dell "X51 Mini Gaming Desktop"
    I happened to clearly agree with that...let me point it out...I said "That Alienware system..."...so basically I agreed with your suggestion of a brand and model.

Show me where that was demeaning?

But if you want demeaning, now we'll go there!

But here is where you obviously fail at grasping how Dells online shopping works. Go click on your link....you'll see a basic description of that X51...and only 1 choice to proceed...a button which is labeled "Select". Did you happen to click on that button? Because a potential customer interested in buying that computer would. So go ahead..click on that "Select" button. Notice you now have 4 different configurations to choose from. Now...a person asking about a gaming computer for her kid....we can probably figure they need a bit of help in choosing which one to go with. After all, that is part of what forums are for..as far as asking questions, and getting help. So I pointed her in the direction of door # 2...out of those 4. IMO, the i3 is too weak for gaming, the i7 is overpriced for the little speed above an i5...making the i5 a good mid-ranged processor. And IMO 4 gigs of RAM is the bare minimum for a Windows 7 rig for basic desktop use, with 8 gigs being the sweet spot for gaming...for just a couple of more ten dollar bills. Really gives a HUGE performance boost of 4 gigs for that little extra money. And IMO that base graphics card is fine.

So watch the attitude, the only think kissing yer arse will be the bottom of my size 12 'n a half boot!

Cliff notes.
    Someone asks for a suggestion for a gaming computer.
    RC posts a Dell computer
    I agree with that Dell computer....but I only added some notes to help with the further questions about it which I know that the OP will have...because there are further choices relating to that particular gaming computer...which were NOT YET mentioned. I simply anticipated those questions and addressed them ahead of time.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Thanks for the recommendations!

Raisn I donít think he was trying to better your suggestion, I took it as he liked the suggestion and recommend getting the middle model.

Iím really liking the size of the Alienware X51 and am considering the 799.99 model http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-x51/fs
    and was ready to order today but since they only have a 21 return policy I will wait closer to Christmas just incase the hubby donít like or want it.

Again thanks everyone for the suggestions and if anyone seeís a better deal before I order please do share! (:
    Pammy ((:

Seriously, put your stubbly little prick on the table and show us where anyone tossed aside your suggestion, or one upped it?

You pointed to a Dell "X51 Mini Gaming Desktop"
    I happened to clearly agree with that...let me point it out...I said "That Alienware system..."...so basically I agreed with your suggestion of a brand and model.

But if you want demeaning, now we'll go there!

But here is where you obviously fail at grasping how Dells online shopping works. Go click on your link....you'll see a basic description of that X51...and only 1 choice to proceed...a button which is labeled "Select". Did you happen to click on that button? Because a potential customer interested in buying that computer would. So go ahead..click on that "Select" button. Notice you now have 4 different configurations to choose from. Now...a person asking about a gaming computer for her kid....we can probably figure they need a bit of help in choosing which one to go with. After all, that is part of what forums are for..as far as asking questions, and getting help. So I pointed her in the direction of door # 2...out of those 4. IMO, the i3 is too weak for gaming, the i7 is overpriced for the little speed above an i5...making the i5 a good mid-ranged processor. And IMO 4 gigs of RAM is the bare minimum for a Windows 7 rig for basic desktop use, with 8 gigs being the sweet spot for gaming...for just a couple of more ten dollar bills. Really gives a HUGE performance boost of 4 gigs for that little extra money. And IMO that base graphics card is fine.

So watch the attitude, the only think kissing yer arse will be the bottom of my size 12 'n a half boot!

Cliff notes.
    Someone asks for a suggestion for a gaming computer.
    RC posts a Dell computer
    I agree with that Dell computer....but I only added some notes to help with the further questions about it which I know that the OP will have...because there are further choices relating to that particular gaming computer...which were NOT YET mentioned. I simply anticipated those questions and addressed them ahead of time.
    You're very welcome to come to the U.S. to try and make good on your size 12 promise anytime. Also, you know there is a Customize and Buy button on each of those options right?

You're very welcome to come to the U.S. to try and make good on your size 12 promise anytime. Also, you know there is a Customize and Buy button on each of those options right?
    LOL he does'nt have far to come to get to the US ! he'll have to drive ALL THE WAY FROM NEW ENGLAND ! DAMIT ! LOL NOT OLD ENGLAND

you weren't , people here are never demeaning to him until he comes out with the RS attitude,when he is cool,(which is rare) people are cool back to him.he only got 'demeaning" posts AFTER he came back with his cry baby reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    what an idiot... gotta be baiting there's no way he is that stupid ... nvm

those games are not that demanding graphics wise, maybe get him a new game to go with it?

Hey Ace > USB bong under the tree this year maybe?
    I thought about a game and really would have no idea what game to get him. He really has not played any games in over a year (excpet for some facebook game -Avengers Alliance)

I dont think he has lost interest I think he just got tired of fighting with his old pc. So maybe either diablo 3 or maybe Ill ask his friend what fantasy/roll playing game they think he might like.
    Pammy ((: