Thread: Which is best, 4x1 GB or 2x2 GB?

Which is best, 4x1 GB or 2x2 GB?

Does it matter in my Dell Optiplex GX620? I'm running Win 7 now but with only 4 GB of RAM [2x2]. It runs OK, but won't run at all with 8 GB, it won't even start up. I have 64 bit OS, but I have yet to figure that out.

Just do a Google search for your model, read the info that comes up and quit ignoring what we've already told you.

As long as they are all matching pairs and we are only talking ddr or ddr2, then it shouldn't matter. I think I read something back int he day about some ram operating with lower CAS when only using 2 sticks but I dont think that applies anymore.

as far as the 8GB limit, Like RaisinCain mentioned. Your Mobo manual will be able to tll you the max limit of your motherboard. Sounds like 4GB

Blog Entries
    Using more sticks can add a bit of latency to the memory timings, I've seen motherboards where you have to use more conservative timings when you use multiple modules.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisinCain View Post
    Just do a Google search for your model, read the info that comes up and quit ignoring what we've already told you.
    I'm not ignoring what you told me, and please speak for yourself. If you get irritated with what I say, perhaps you and I aren't compatible, and consider passing it for a poster that appeals to you more.

I've read that 8 GB can be used if it's with a 64 bit OS, which it has. Quit ignoring I said that. Address it, or pass it by to some other post.
    Last edited by Lurch; 11-24-12 at 05:05 PM.

The Dell Optiplex GX620 supports a max of 4 gigs according to the User Guide.

2 sticks would be ideal for dual channel support.

Quote Originally Posted by morbidpete View Post
    Your Mobo manual will be able to tll you the max limit of your motherboard. Sounds like 4GB
    I've seen that the Dell site says 4 GB max for a GX620 Optiplex, but I've also read that 8 GB can be used if the same PC has a 64 bit OS [which mine has 64 Bit Win 7] OR, a Mobo upgrade [which I do not know if it has]. The guy that sells / services PCs and sold me my PCs, told me 8 GB would work in it..
    TTYTT, I'm not too crazy about Win 7 anyway. It's OK but one thing I don't like is that I can't see thumbs of images in photo folders of pics I took. I have to click on the image to open it to full size in order to see what it is. In Win XP, I can easily preview each thumb w/o having to open up the image.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    The Dell Optiplex GX620 supports a max of 4 gigs according to the User Guide.

2 sticks would be ideal for dual channel support.
    Thanks YOS and all of you. I guess Win 7 is Ok but I think I prefer Win XP Pro with 4 GB of RAM. It's responsive with the Pentium D dual core. Fastest PC I ever had. It's not perfect but it's no slouch. They are easy to work on and very reliable. I like Dell PCs.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    Using more sticks can add a bit of latency to the memory timings, I've seen motherboards where you have to use more conservative timings when you use multiple modules.
    That's what I was thinking of!

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
    It's OK but one thing I don't like is that I can't see thumbs of images in photo folders of pics I took. I have to click on the image to open it to full size in order to see what it is. In Win XP, I can easily preview each thumb w/o having to open up the image.
    Not true, Right click, view, large icons

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
    Thanks YOS and all of you. I guess Win 7 is Ok but I think I prefer Win XP Pro with 4 GB of RAM. It's responsive with the Pentium D dual core. Fastest PC I ever had. It's not perfect but it's no slouch. They are easy to work on and very reliable. I like Dell PCs.
    as far as the ram, One last thing to check is your CPU, Your mobo maybe be able to do 8GB but the CPU has to support it also

Quote Originally Posted by morbidpete View Post
    That's what I was thinking of!

Not true, Right click, view, large icons

as far as the ram, One last thing to check is your CPU, Your mobo maybe be able to do 8GB but the CPU has to support it also
    Nope. The memory limit is a function of the chipset as well as the CPU.
    Last edited by RaisinCain; 11-27-12 at 07:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisinCain View Post
    Nope. The memory limit is a function of the chipset as well as the CPU.
    Roger Roger,

There is no big difference though imo. I prefer 2x2 just for simplicity and it is easy for future upgrade.

I hear you on the RAM sticks but I can't get Win 7 show show thumbnail images. It only shows icons, lists, etc., like this :

Name:  Capture dec 3.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  54.1 KB

I have to lick on them to se what they are unless I recognize the name.

I've been using Win 7 for the last week and I kind of like it, and it's not too sluggish with 4 GB of RAM [2 x 2 GB]. I guess I'll keep my XP Pro PC and this one with Win 7.

You need to change the picture viewer back to defaults. That send to be your issue, the third party picture viewer