Thread: Win 7 Won't Start After Adding RAM

Win 7 Won't Start After Adding RAM

Hi,

Can someone tell me why? I've been running my Dell Optiplex GX620 with Win XP Pro and 2 GB of RAM. I had 2 GB in another of the same Dell with Win 7, and it was sluggish so I bought 8 GB of RAM and it came in today, but it will not start. It just says "Windows is Starting" but it doesn't start. PC setup says I now have the 8 GB of RAM.

It also can only detect one of my hard drives, they are both SATA drives, I think. I have Pentium D Dual Core 2.8 Ghz in both.

I tried to get it to repair Windows but that too seemed to stall and do nothing so I shut it down and went back to my Win XP Pro Dell PC.

I think it said that I have changed the hardware or software. I have no Win 7 CD.
    Thanks in advance for any help with getting this thing to run.
    Last edited by Lurch; 11-19-12 at 07:08 PM.

PS - It always seemed to take a long time to start. I expected it to start quickly with the 8 GB of RAM but it seems to refuse to start at all. I waited at least 5 minutes each to either start or repair Win 7.

That's because that model only support 4GB of RAM total.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisinCain View Post
    That's because that model only support 4GB of RAM total.
    The Optiplex GX620 takes up to 8 GB of RAM [4 sticks of 2 GB each DDR2.] My PC already says I have that much RAM, it's just that Win 7 won't start now.

I'm wondering if it needed more time to configure itself or something. I didn't expect it to take that long.

seems as though 4GB max is correct.........

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...2/sffspecs.htm

I suggest booting to a recent "Ultimate Boot CD" and running memory tests.

Quote Originally Posted by nwrickert View Post
    I suggest booting to a recent "Ultimate Boot CD" and running memory tests.
    Can you explain what that is?

The guy that sells PCs and sold me these PCs told me 8 GB would run in it and make Win 7 run really nice. Then I agreed to buy 8 GB of RAM from him but it turned out to be "server heat sink RAM" and it wouldn't fit. I still have that RAM and I don't know how to get rid of it or how to find any part numbers on it.

Win 7 did not seem to run good on 3 GB of RAM. It was too sluggish for me. I have Win XP Pro on this with 3.5 GB of RAM [has 4 GB but only seems to realize 3.5 GB], and it runs plenty fast for me. What ever I run, I want it to be fast. Now I'm really confused.
    Last edited by Lurch; 11-20-12 at 08:58 PM.

I heard it will work if I have a 64 bit OS. How do I know if my Win XP Pro is 32 or 64 bit?

The guy that sold me the PC seems to be mad at me. He will not call back. Now I have a Pentium D dual core PC with Win 7 that I don't know what to do with. If I get fed up enough with them I may donate them to charity.

I got the UBCD download, and started to download it, but it was showing all kinds of junk I don't want like shopping deals, etc., so I declined and removed it. Got a link to a good download of UBCD?

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
    Can you explain what that is?
    Do a google search for "ultimate boot CD". That will take you to a site where you can download the iso file. Burn that to a CD.

When you boot it, there are many options. Among those options are some memory tests, which are always useful if having memory woes.

Got a link to a good download of UBCD?
    I normally go to "http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/" and click on the download link.

Yes, I guess there is some advertising on that site. I run "noscript" and perhaps that's why the advertising doesn't get in the way.

Some people just don't listen.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisinCain View Post
    Some people just don't listen.
    The guy that sold me the Win 7 PC has sold and serviced Dell PCs for years. He's the one that suggested to me to upgrade it to 8 GB of RAM. Maybe this PC has a 64 bit OS or an upgraded motherboard that will enable it to run 8 GB of RAM. It's also possible that he goofed up.

Quote Originally Posted by nwrickert View Post
    I normally go to "http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/" and click on the download link.

Yes, I guess there is some advertising on that site. I run "noscript" and perhaps that's why the advertising doesn't get in the way.
    OK thanks, I'll work on it.

I installed UBCD to my hard drive, thinking I might be able to run it from there. Then I tried to copy my Win XP Pro CD to my HD and come to find out, it's a blank CD. The seller of the PC did it again, he gave me a CD that I thought was XP Pro but there isn't anything on it so I guess that idea is out. Any idea where I can get an XP Pro CD? The more I try to get into this the further away I seem to get from it. Maybe I just better run my XP Pro PC and forget about Win 7.

The guy that sold me the Win 7 PC has sold and serviced Dell PCs for years. He's the one that suggested to me to upgrade it to 8 GB of RAM. Maybe this PC has a 64 bit OS or an upgraded motherboard that will enable it to run 8 GB of RAM. It's also possible that he goofed up.
    For the love. That model will only accept 4GB of RAM. Did he mention that there was an upgraded mobo?

I got a copy of Win XP Pro boot CD and built a UBCD but my Win XP PC won't boot to it. I changed the BIOS, did everything I could. I have floppy drive and I'd make a bootable floppy if I could.

Does UBCD have to be ran only when booted?

I got a copy of Win XP Pro boot CD and built a UBCD but my Win XP PC won't boot to it. I changed the BIOS, did everything I could. I have floppy drive and I'd make a bootable floppy if I could.

Does UBCD have to be ran only when booted?
    yes, set the BIOS to boot to CD, place boot CD in drive. turn on PC and then follow the on screen prompts to run the the bootCD

look through the menu for diagnostic tools or whatever to run a memory test program
    4930K@4.3~32GBGskill~asusX79deluxe~r9-280x~240GB-SSD-OS drive~500GB-SSD-scratch~240GB-SSD-thrash~2TB storage~Windows 7 pro
    *~ SG stats ~my stats

I unchecked all the drives except the onboard CD drive and it still would not restart and boot to it. I got the same message on a black screen :

"Selected boot device not available
    f1 to retry boot
    f2 for setup"

After I unchecked all but the CD drive, it said "No boot device available
    f1 to retry
    f2 for setup
    -------------------------------

I found out that this Win 7 Dell PC has 64 bit OS, so that means it will run 8 GB of RAM, but I don't know how yet. I'm on that PC now, after I removed 4 GB of the RAM and I have 4 GB in it now. I'm not too crazy about Win 7. I might sell the PC with the 4 GB of RAM and go back to my Win XP Dell with 4 GB of RAM. They both are dual core Pentium D.