Thread: Repeated password thefts and DOS attacks

Repeated password thefts and DOS attacks

Hi, over the last few days, my EA/Origin account has been hijacked by the same russian email address.
    I have reinstated it, changed it to a strong password, changed my other passwords linked to my email address and have today noticed some DOS attacks on my router IP. (access to UDP ports which i have now blocked).
    Have now installed Avast, ran a full scan but it happened again last night.
    I am also using Windows 7 with Security Essentials activated.
    Can anyone recommend a procedure/tools to use to avoid this happening again?
    In my 20 years online, this is the first (3) time(s) it has happened to me, over the last 3 days.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    DoS or DDoS attack ? It should be easy to block if it is not "distributed" (coming from many source IPs), otherwise you may have to take it up with your Interenet provider.

How do you determine that your router is being attacked ? Your external/router IP being probed occasionally is very common, and some routers may be over zealous in reporting DoS activity. With millions of infected devices on the internet, mere probes to some suspicious UDP ports does not necessarily mean you're being targeted specifically.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    DoS or DDoS attack ? It should be easy to block if it is not "distributed" (coming from many source IPs), otherwise you may have to take it up with your Interenet provider.

How do you determine that your router is being attacked ? Your external/router IP being probed occasionally is very common, and some routers may be over zealous in reporting DoS activity. With millions of infected devices on the internet, mere probes to some suspicious UDP ports does not necessarily mean you're being targeted specifically.
    Thanks, i understand that these problems may be completely unrelated and that frequent portscans are common on most/any machine.

The problem remains that someone somehow has been stealing my identity. Luckily it's for a game (although highly irritating) and not for banking!...

What kind of security software are you running? Seems like you might have a key logger on your machine and if so, I wouldn't trust that any of your other accounts haven't/may have gotten hacked.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisinCain View Post
    What kind of security software are you running? Seems like you might have a key logger on your machine and if so, I wouldn't trust that any of your other accounts haven't/may have gotten hacked.
    For info, the account has now been stolen 7 times in 4 days...

I ran the following:

Win7 all up to date

CCleaner
    Malwarebytes
    IOBit Advance System care
    Microsoft Security Essentials
    Purchased Avast Internet Security and ran full scan

Changed all passwords again, unlinked account and transferred to a a brand new one. Using different browser...

It keeps happening and it seems i'm not the only one, i counted 17 new threads on similar issue on EA forum: http://bit.ly/TFm6TO
    Problem is they don't even imoplement basic security such as sending an email to original registered account with link to confirm change of email address.

Looks like unless THEY do something, i will have to contact them twice a day to get it reset.

There was news last year the Bioware 18000 user accounts had been compromised (ie. STOLEN) but EA tell me they are not linked.
    Despite the fact that EA bought Bioware, EA IDs work on Bioware site and my account email changes originate from Bioware Mythic...