Thread: Memory bad or MB???

Memory bad or MB???

Had my build running for 2-3 yrs now. See sig+(Win 7)
    Just lately last 4 mths its been going BSOD.
    I try to keep it clean. Every 6-8mths bring PC outside and blow out completely. (besides biweekly vacumming front fan screen) Tsunami case

I thougth maytbe the cpu was running hot cause after last cleaning it stayed up for 30 days. Well about 4 weeks ago it started again. BSOD then reboot .... last a day or so.

I decided what the heck remove one memory stick.
    Computer started right up. Stayed up for 2 weeks. I then tried putting 2nd stick back in. No boot. I swapped sticks. It booted right up and stayed up for 2 weeks. (Hmmm- Either stick be itself seems OK- Together nogo)

MB has 4 slotts. I tried both sticks in the different slotts. It booted once then crashed after 5mins.

So currently I am running 1 2gig stick

Memory is 2 gig corsiar DDR3 1600.
    No overclocking. Stock auto settings.

I could look into some new ram stepping up to 16 gig or so. (if new ram does not fix ....just have to check if that ram would work with a newer MB
    Thanks
    Main rig-AMD AM3 Phenom II 965,Asus M478T-E, 4gb DDR3 1600 ram, Intel Series 320 SSD 120gig, Velociraptor 300 gig, WD Blk 1tb deep storage, Sata Cd & DVD drives
    HomeServer-AMD 4600x2, Soltek 939 mb 2 gig Ram, 74 Gig Raptor, 500 gig WD Green storage

Blog Entries
    I'd suggest running Memtest86+ from http://www.memtest.org/ It involves burning a bootable CD, making sure BIOS is set to boot from the CD drive first, and booting from it. It runs stress tests on memory modules and is a very good indicator of bad RAM sticks. You can try running it with single modules, or with both in the machine.

Another thing to consider when troubleshooting RAM problems is that when using multiple modules, the machine is stressed more and has to do more processing, so you may not be able to use as aggressive timings (especially with marginal non-brand name RAM, higher voltage RAM, i.e. 1.5V vs 1.6v, etc.). In such cases, it sometimes works if you set your RAM timings manually to slower values, bumping up the voltage slightly/carefully, etc.

I hope this helps pinpoint the issue, RAM failures are more common than MB.

Philip, reminds me of Skips... Both Sata controllers went bad, then ram slots (old ram working fine in new board), damaged the SSDs....

Bowtye, win 7 has a built in memory test (CP>Admin Tools) if you don't want to dl and boot to mem test, although I believe mem test is the better and surest... (And with BSODs, it may not run or allow you to see results anyway...) This will almost certainly reveal if ram has a bad chip(s)...

On the MB, I love Asus boards and have used probably close to 50 of them, although of late, they have been letting me down causing me to buy other brands (Gigabyte has become my next choice)... Check the capacitors carefully for any swelling or leakage as that will be a sure sign...

Not sure what parts you have around, switching PSUs can't hurt...

A quick search is showing a multitude of BSOD's for many different reasons...

I checked each mem stick seperately. They check OK. I cant even get the pc to boot if I put both sticks in. Not even to Bios.
    But I could put a signle stick in any of the 4 mem slots it will boot.

Crazy!!!!!
    I think I am goign to order 8 or 16 gig of somthing. Have been running 4 gig for 3 yrs and now only 2 gig.
    Will 16 gig improve the perforance vs 8 gig for the $$$$$$$

Thanks
    Main rig-AMD AM3 Phenom II 965,Asus M478T-E, 4gb DDR3 1600 ram, Intel Series 320 SSD 120gig, Velociraptor 300 gig, WD Blk 1tb deep storage, Sata Cd & DVD drives
    HomeServer-AMD 4600x2, Soltek 939 mb 2 gig Ram, 74 Gig Raptor, 500 gig WD Green storage

on my old P-35 intel system in my signature, if i set the BIOS to defaults, or have to clear CMOS, i need to install 1 or 2 sticks of ram only and then go into BIOS to change the voltage on the memory and memory controller, other wise it will error out with all 4 sticks loaded, just another option as Phillip says
    4930K@4.3~32GBGskill~asusX79deluxe~r9-280x~240GB-SSD-OS drive~500GB-SSD-scratch~240GB-SSD-thrash~2TB storage~Windows 7 pro
    *~ SG stats ~my stats

Sounds like a motherboard issue with the RAM slots. Adding more RAM probably wouldn't fix the problem. Have you checked into getting an RMA for the mobo (if possible)?

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by BOWTYE8 View Post
    Will 16 gig improve the perforance vs 8 gig for the $$$$$$$

Thanks
    It depends what you do on the computer.
    Generally 8 gigs is great for typical and gaming use...beyond that you really start to get into the law of diminishing returns. 12 or 16 or more gigs...that much software can really benefit from that....stuff that does...higher end video editing/design software, etc.

Re: your mobo...pull the CMOS battery, ensure it's reset to defaults..see if it can settle down with your memory.
    I'd lean more towards an issue with the motherboard.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

A s u s