Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moment of truth finally arrives for Lance Armstrong

Blog Entries

Moment of truth finally arrives for Lance Armstrong

Looks like his time is finally up. Simply too much evidence for his BS to overcome imho.
    ---

Tyler Hamilton’s book, The Secret Race, is a thoroughly damning document. It is not a prosecution of Lance Armstrong, exactly; it’s a precisely remembered memoir, from a cyclist who was in the thick of the toxic swamp professional cycling had become when Armstrong was the sport’s alpha male. It explains doping — the mechanics of secrecy, the biology of effectiveness, the disposal of evidence, the pressures of the sport. It is packed with detail. And most damning of all, it includes interviews with eight other former U.S. Postal Service team riders. It is not a lone gunman. It is a fusillade.

It may also be a preview. This week, the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) is expected to make its evidence against Armstrong public, a little more than two months after Armstrong uncharacteristically dropped his fight against the USADA’s case. Armstrong blasted the process, which has a lower standard of evidence than a federal court trial, but it was essentially an admission that he was not going to win. All that was left was to call the USADA “unconstitutional,” muddy the waters, and sidestep the evidence in order to diminish its legitimacy.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...ment-of-truth/

---

minir

Blog Entries
    Nike draws the line between acceptable and unacceptable athletic misbehaviour

It appears to me that it is all over for Armstrong as the bricks start to fall & his deniles are now falling on deaf ears.

Nike Quote
    “Due to the seemingly insurmountable evidence that Lance Armstrong participated in doping and misled Nike for more than a decade, it is with great sadness that we have terminated our contract with him,” Nike’s statement reads. “Nike does not condone the use of illegal performance enhancing drugs in any manner. Nike plans to continue support of the Livestrong initiatives created to unite, inspire and empower people affected by cancer.”

Throughout all the tawdry revelations about his sex life and marital problems, Nike stood by Tiger Woods, offering its support, filming new commercials and introducing new products. But on Wednesday it revealed it’s not willing to do the same for Lance Armstrong: the sports gear company announced that “with great sadness” it was parting company with the disgraced cycling superstar.

Almost simultaneously with the announcement, however, Armstrong revealed he was stepping down as head of his cancer-fighting charity, “to spare the foundation any negative effects as a result of controversy surrounding my cycling career.”

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/...-misbehaviour/

---

minir

Sorry, but who cares? Just more media distraction BS.

Although i think armey knew but when..strong is a fraud, and deserves everything he is getting; I think its pretty sad for nike to come out and act as if they had no idea he was juiced out of his mind. Not if they knew, but when... i believe they knew for a long time. Every single one of his teammates fessed up... Yet here he is still denying everything... What a joke.

····

····

Quote Originally Posted by RaisinCain View Post
    I care, minir cares. A slew of massive sponsors that have stood by him through it all wouldn't have just dropped him if nobody cared. And I don't think Lance would have stepped down as the chairman of Livestrong either.

As a cyclist and a fan of the sport I am glad to see the code of silence finally busted wide open. I realize this won't clean up the sport overnight, but in my opinion it will make a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    I think its pretty sad for nike to come out and act as if they had no idea he was juiced out of his mind
    I couldn't agree more.

Brian

As much as I cheered for the guy in the past and am hesitant to say he doped, if he did I hope it's proven and comes out. A sport like this has little to gain and a lot to lose from cheating. It's such a hard core challenge, physically and mentally, that shortcuts such as doping just piss on if you win the easy way.

Raisin, after your last trolling comment I almost spit out my beer over this one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisinCain View Post
    ---

I think there are many, many who care as it is a major sporting event which has drawn huge attention over the years. Also many individual riders & sports enthusiasts i'm convinced care as well RaisinCain

---

Larry

Blog Entries
    Although i think armey knew but when..strong is a fraud, and deserves everything he is getting; I think its pretty sad for nike to come out and act as if they had no idea he was juiced out of his mind. Not if they knew, but when... i believe they knew for a long time. Every single one of his teammates fessed up... Yet here he is still denying everything... What a joke.
    ---

I think many people thought that Armstrong was up to no good for a long time, but thinking and proof are 2 different things Joe. Many supporters invested heavily in him over the years & without definitive proof accepted his word on not using drugs. The side of the coin that gave hope to many cancer survivors was also huge in this regard.

Once the documented tests & acknowledgment by teammates came out these supporters could now in good conscience do what they had juggled with doing in the past. Never forget Armstrong in his quest to keep the image was very litigious and underhanded in dealing with all who posed a threat to him & the dollars he made.

I agree perhaps it could have been done in a more timely manner, however i am not privy to all that went on behind the scenes.

The finger pointing is over now & the facts are there for all to see & imho He Is Guilty as charged. Sad!

---

Larry

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DV View Post
    I care, minir cares. A slew of massive sponsors that have stood by him through it all wouldn't have just dropped him if nobody cared. And I don't think Lance would have stepped down as the chairman of Livestrong either.

As a cyclist and a fan of the sport I am glad to see the code of silence finally busted wide open. I realize this won't clean up the sport overnight, but in my opinion it will make a big difference.

I couldn't agree more.

Brian
    ---

Hi DV

I agree with what you say DV & concur that this will at long last clean up this sport and take it back to its intended from. Athletes competing in one of the most grueling sports i know of & doing so clean.

There is a followup post i am about to place once i finish my individual replies.
    ---

Larry

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    As much as I cheered for the guy in the past and am hesitant to say he doped, if he did I hope it's proven and comes out. A sport like this has little to gain and a lot to lose from cheating. It's such a hard core challenge, physically and mentally, that shortcuts such as doping just piss on if you win the easy way.

Raisin, after your last trolling comment I almost spit out my beer over this one.
    ---

Hi Humboldt

I don't think there is much room for doubt left as to his guilt Humboldt and the doping charges laid. Too bad he has been so reluctant to come clean on this but his income & ego have been at the front of his reasoning since day one it appears.

---

Larry

Blog Entries
    Rabobank ends sponsorship of professional cycling team

Rabobank is ending its sponsorship of its professional cycling team following the Lance Armstrong doping revelations.

The Dutch bank's decision follows a United States Anti-Doping Agency (Usada) report which concluded that Armstrong engaged in "serial cheating".

"We are no longer convinced that the international professional world of cycling can make this a clean and fair sport," said Rabobank's Bert Bruggink.

After 17 years in the sport, Rabobank will end its deal on 31 December.

The news follows the decisions of sportswear giant Nike, cycle maker Trek and Budweiser brewer Anheuser-Busch to sever their ties with Armstrong, who has had his seven Tour de France victories stripped by Usada.
    The American has always denied doping, but gave up his fight against the charges in August.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/20001685

Sad it had to come to this but i do believe the sport will be better off for it in the long term. It is after all a great sport with some of the worlds greatest athletes involved. It will take time to bounce back but i think it will over time become one of the great sports again. Lets hope so.

---

minir

At least hes done the right thing in stepping down from Livestrong to help keep that organization going well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    At least hes done the right thing in stepping down from Livestrong to help keep that organization going well.
    ---

Hi YARDofSTUF

I really don't think he had much choice their either YARDofSTUF. The heat is really on now & he's still trying to make the best of it by denying & doing what appears to be an honourable thing to do. From what we are seeing i do believe it will get worse before it gets better for him.

There could be all kinds of lawsuits coming his way if he is not careful as some powerful people are not at all pleased being embarrassed by him and having both themselves and their respective companies put into question over this scandal. They maybe putting on a public face but deep down they must be seething over this.

Just a really sad situation as he let so many people down for his own aggrandisement & profit.
    ---

Larry

I still think nike knew... You dont need cold hard proof to know for certain someone is up to something. Sort of like when mark mcguire and barry bonds were nailing home runs.... did anyone actually believe they were clean? Nike stayed with him because he was a cash cow.. once all the juice had been squeezed they dumped him. They probably knew this day was coming long ago.

····

····

Blog Entries
    I still think nike knew... You dont need cold hard proof to know for certain someone is up to something. Sort of like when mark mcguire and barry bonds were nailing home runs.... did anyone actually believe they were clean? Nike stayed with him because he was a cash cow.. once all the juice had been squeezed they dumped him. They probably knew this day was coming long ago.
    ---

Hi Joe

One can assume & think what they like but in order to cancel most high end contracts one must have certain proof to do so or face enormous court costs and the likelihood of even further payments to the one in question.

Armstrong whose worth is estimated at $100 Million Dollars was no shrinking violet & had & has been known to threaten legal action against any who oppose him and had the finances to do so, thus most companies would i'm sure need the proof positive to sever and ties with him.

This they now appear to have and Nike & many others are using this to separate as quickly as possible. This they can now do without fear of reprisal from him it would seem. Whether they knew or suspected really does not matter if they where locked into a contract & him giving his word he was clean.

Below is an update i saw tonight of those who are disassociating themselves from him now the legal threat is pretty much over.

Where they all working with a wink & a nod with Lance? I find that doubtful but that is just my opinion. It would appear to me that they did the honorable thing by standing by someone who made them money over the years and added to the luster of their products & he had assured them he was clean and doing things in an honest manner.

---

Armstrong made about $17.5 million in endorsements in 2005, the last year his earnings were tracked by Sports Illustrated's Fortunate 50 list of the top paid active athletes. Nike began its relationship with Armstrong in 1996.

Lance Armstrong is set to lose at least $50million in sponsorship deals over the next five years after a string of companies followed Nike's decision to ditch the disgraced cyclist.

Bike sponsor Trek Bicycles and helmet sponsor Giro are among the glut of companies who have distanced themselves from the cyclist.

Technology retailer Radioshack has also reportedly decided to have nothing more to do with the 41-year-old as has food maker Honey Stringer and health club franchise 24HR Fitness.

Energy drink manufacturer FRS said Armstrong had been 'on its board for several years but had resigned.'

Just two hours after Nike said it was terminating its contracting with the star yesterday Anheuser-Busch followed suit.

With his career and reputation in tatters the athlete seemingly no longer offers sponsors the image or publicity they desire from a sportstar.

Sunglasses manufacturer Oakley said it was withholding judgment until the International Cycling Union decides whether to challenge the USADA's findings.

In a statement, 24 Hour Fitness said: 'Given the evidence surrounding Lance Armstrong's alleged actions, we have determined that our business relationship with Armstrong no longer aligns with our company's mission and values.

'Over the coming weeks, we plan to remove the Lance Armstrong brand from our six co-branded fitness clubs and further improve these facilities to enable and inspire our members to achieve their fitness goals.'

Trek Bicycle's said it was disappointed with USADA's findings: 'Given the determinations of the report, Trek today is terminating our long term relationship with Lance Armstrong.'

Honey Stinger added: 'We are in the process of removing Lance Armstrong's image and endorsement from our product packaging.'

---

Larry

Blog Entries
    Armstrong’s Wall of Silence Fell Rider by Rider

From todays NY Times
    ----------

Floyd Landis, the cyclist who had denied doping for years despite being stripped of the 2006 Tour de France title for failing a drug test, went to a lunch meeting in April 2010 with the director of the Tour of California cycling race.

As they sat down at a table at the Farm of Beverly Hills restaurant in Los Angeles, Landis placed a tape recorder between them and pressed record.

Landis finally wanted to tell the truth: He had doped through most of his professional career. He was recording his confessions so he would later have proof that he had blown the whistle on the sport.

“How do you expect people to believe you when you lied for so long?” Andrew Messick, the race director, asked Landis. “Have you told your mother? Have you told Travis Tygart?”

Landis, raised as a Mennonite, said he had not yet told his mother. Nor had he told Tygart, the chief executive of the United States Anti-Doping Agency, with whom he had clashed for more than two years as Landis publicly fought his doping case.

But, Landis said, it was time.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/21/sp...e.html?hp&_r=0

http://cyclinginvestigation.usada.org/

---

minir

Under no circumstances would nike have ever cut lance so long as he was making them cash. He could have been clubbing baby seals to death in his free time and as long as the public wasnt certain of it nike wouldnt of cared.

····

····

Blog Entries
    Under no circumstances would nike have ever cut lance so long as he was making them cash. He could have been clubbing baby seals to death in his free time and as long as the public wasnt certain of it nike wouldnt of cared.
    ---

Hi Joe

And you know this for a certainty, How?

It also appears Nike was not alone in support of Armstrong and it appears many other prominent supporters dropped their association with him once there was sufficient proof to offset his denials and a certainty of drug abuse was established.

They too where in the same position as Nike...open to lawsuits etc. for wrongful termination of contracts owing Armstrong. Once this was no longer a threat or at least gave credence to them to do so ,They did.

Anyway it is a moot point as Nike & others have separated themselves from Armstrong and whatever credibility he had is finished.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and this is mine, as you are entitled to yours.

---

Larry

Blog Entries
    This i read today and i think goes to show he went to great lengths to cover up or threaten & win against those that would insinuate other. I guess the finale will be Mon when they decide whether to strip him of his wins & medals or not.

A portion which is part of the article that struck me

---

Speculation over a confession by Armstrong has been growing although he could face perjury charges if he admitted to doping during his career.

The Texan is also likely to face financial consequences if the UCI ratifies the USADA decision.

Promotional company SCA, which paid $7.5 million to Armstrong after he provided sworn evidence he did not use performance-enhancing drugs, could seek to recoup the money.

Meanwhile, Britain's Sunday Times newspaper, which lost $1 million in an out-of-court settlement following a libel suit, could sue the American.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/10/21...ance-armstrong

It truly is a sad situation that money & thus cheating has become so much part of Sports in general that the damage done to the word sport has made all who compete and win suspect.

---

minir

Funny though. Levi Leipheimer is from my hometown.