Thread: no wifi without turning on my desktop

Question no wifi without turning on my desktop

Hi everyone,

I've bought a wireless router D-Link DIR 300 and it works fine.

Here the connection goes:

WiMax ----> wifi router ----> My desktop PC using ethernet cable and To my Laptop using wifi

But when I switch off or sleep my desktop, i didn't get wifi on Laptop. ie, my desktop must be turned on to get wifi from the router. Is it common?

when I turn off my PC, the LAN-1 light (that i connected to my desktop) is turned off but the wifi still blinks without getting it. At that time in my Laptop, the wifi icon is showing full range with an exclamation mark saying "no internet access".

do I need to make any configuration on my router to overcome this problem using 198.162.0.1? or with windows? My OS is Windows 7 64-bit.

kindly reply,
    regards,

niyonsv

No, that is not normal.

How are you connected to the Internet? Maybe there is something running on the desktop that is needed for your Internet link.

Is DHCP service provided by your router, or by your desktop?

Have you set it up for using a radius authentication server, and is that radius server actually on the desktop?

Or are you running your own DNS server on the desktop, with the router configured to use that?

(Just some questions about possibilities that have occurred to me - ignore any that you don't understand).

Quote Originally Posted by nwrickert View Post
    No, that is not normal.

How are you connected to the Internet? Maybe there is something running on the desktop that is needed for your Internet link.

Is DHCP service provided by your router, or by your desktop?

Have you set it up for using a radius authentication server, and is that radius server actually on the desktop?

Or are you running your own DNS server on the desktop, with the router configured to use that?

(Just some questions about possibilities that have occurred to me - ignore any that you don't understand).

Thank you for your reply.

But I'm sorry that I didn't understand what you've said above. Can you please say how can I find out these?

I'll take that as answering 2nd, 3rd and 4th questions and affirming that there is nothing unusual there. It would still help to know how you are connected to the Internet (cable, dsl, FIOS, etc).

Smile Fixed!

I changed the router internet setting to Access Point by checking "Enable Access Point Mode" . Now I'm getting wifi without turning on my desktop.

But when I enabled that, the DHCP settings got disabled.

Will there be any problem or security issues by enabling the Access Point mode?

I've secured the router with WPA2-Personal and enabled hidden wireless option (SSIS Broadcast). Is that enough?

I still don't know enough about how you are connecting to the Internet.

Switching to access point mode won't affect security.

why this problem persists. I have no issue like this. Infact my wifi is not connected with desktop too.

Blog Entries
    Checking the "Enable Access Point mode" on your router turns it from a WiFi NAT router into an Access point, i.e. it ONLY serves as a wireless bridge from your client laptop to the modem without serving private IP addresses via DHCP, or doing any NAT translations. In that mode, what are your client computers IPs ? If they're in one of the private ranges (192.168.x.x, 10.x.x.x, 172.16.x.x), then your wimax router is already doing NAT.

It is important to learn your router/wimax modem's IP addresses, and figure out the "Gateway" IP from your client computers. You can do that using "ipconfig" in command prompt under Windows 7/Vista.

Once you sort that out, you will know what device your desktop/laptop are trying to connect to, and what configuration you need to tweak.