Thread: What are the police like in your area?

What are the police like in your area?

I'm curious because every time I've actually had interaction with them has been good.

Pulled over for spinning tires taking off at an intersection and got pulled over. Was young at this time and the officer asked for license and stuff. Noticed the truck in my dads name and said your tires look bald. I told him the truth. My dad lets me drive this truck and I have to buy the stuff for it and I am saving up for tires. I'm in high school and not alot of money but I'm working for it. He told me to ask my dad for a loan and let me go.

Been pulled over for slow rolling stop signs twice. Let go both times even when I admitted it. Recited state law that the requirements for stopping at a stop sign you must stop at the sign or within 2 feet of the stop sign when they asked what I did. They laughed and said at least you know why we stopped you. No tickets.

Was doing 85 on a back road and got pulled over because i looked like I was fleeing the scene of a crime doing 85mph in a 50mph (someone had set fire to a barn on july 4th. They asked to search my truck and I said sure. They said quit speeding on backroads. I said ok. No ticket.

Was a bartender and a guy had fake ID for months but the cops asked him and he gave his real ID. They came to me and read me my rights (that means you go to jail). I worked with them and called the GM of the place I worked at to help them in any way. They said since you are so helpful we are just going to release you now (It was a small town and friday night and I would have been in until monday when the judge was in). Paid a $300 court fine and nothing on my record after my work (small town, people know people).

I have always treated law enforcement with respect. They have a tough job. I find it's the easiest way.

Any other stories?
    Nutty like squirrel terds!!!

Oh last story...was driving and got pulled over and the officer came to the passengers side and knocked on the window. He asks for ID and when I reach for it he says no and asks for my wifes. WTF? So I sit and watch. He goes back to his car and comes back and says they are having seat belt stings and because my wife sits low in the truck he thought she didn't have her seatbelt on.

Amazing I can get pulled over and not even get asked for ID. LOL

I could have been an ass for a false stop but why make things worse.

I respect cops as well,and I agree,and it really works in any situation pretty much in life,is that if you put out respect most likely you will get it back,and yes,IMO it works especially good when dealing with law enforcement.
    they do have a tough and dangerous job.

as far as the cops in my area ? I have not had a ticket or even pulled over for anything in like 15 or 20 years.

back in the early 80's,I got pulled over on my motorcycle for a DUI,well,that sucked,but anyway,

I was arrested,

it was 2 cops in the car,and it was a crappy neighborhood,and I was respectful to them and I was worried about my bike,so one of the cops actually rode my bike to the police station and parked it in the secure lot for me ! we were not too far from the station & it was before the helmet law.

that always stuck with me what a nice thing that cop did for me.

Local Cop in my old town West Warwick were not bad. Only bothered me when i had a warrant for missing a fine or I was driving on a suspended. The Locals in my new town of portsmouth I have yet to meet one. Hell I have never even seen one and I lived here since Jan. Very small quiet island town.

The staties here. Again. No issues unless it was my fault. Never busted my balls, searched my car, over searched me. Some even let me ride with no cuffs until we reached the station. I rode in a car without a cage once. I always know when I'm in the wrong and they are just doing there job. So no reason to be an ass in my opinion. Some of my friends hate them without reason. I dont know. I have no issues with the law. I know when I ****ed up and I dont blame anyone

Stories:

Was driving home from a scenic area with the GF. Speeding. License was suspended at the time. She twisted her right ankle so couldn't drive. I was pulled over and cop asked me why I was speeding. Asked for my license and I told him It was suspended. Showed him her ankle. He gave me a speeding ticket, But no additional ticket for driving on a suspended.

Driving home late one night, Registration was suspended on ym truck. Pulled over. Cop was about to tow my truck, Explained I was heading 2 streets over. He followed me instead and let me park my truck vs tow and impound fees that I could not pay and would have lost my truck

Driving home from a job site a few weeks ago in mass. Statie pulled me over for swearving like crazy. I dropped a sauce packet on ym lap trying to clean it :-P He asked me if I have been drinking and what I was doing. Told him I was eating and on my way home from a job (cameras and told int he back seat) He told me to keep eating and let me go

This next one, No idea how I was let go.

It was a weekend and I just meet this chick, She live about 25 mins from me in a few town over. Her and I were drinking alot! Decided to bring her home around 3am. Trashed. Driving down the road with an expired registration, no insurance and a suspended license. As I'm am driving trying my best to stay on the road I go up on the curb with my 2 passenger tires. this is how drunk i was. She was underage (20). Statie pulls us over. Explains that he was following me and saw the curb and swerving and bad turns. takes my info, her info. pulls us out of the car 1 at a time and questions us abotu where we are going, who we where with. Names blah blah blah. Then for who knows what reason. Says to be on my way. I could have killed someone that night! crazy! I dont drink like that any more if ever.
    Last edited by morbidpete; 10-06-12 at 03:33 AM.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Respect them. They're made up of a mixture of people just like all of us. One day you may run into a grumpy one, another day you may run into a laid back on, another time...etc etc.

I was a part time cop for a while way back, plus I worked with them a lot because this other part time job I had was assisting an instructor that tought classes for many things like MOAB, OCAT, CAS-21, handcuff restraint).

Generally always good, and in my lifetime I've had many experiences, I can only remember 1x bad instance.

Agreed...treat them with respect. If they're questioning you or pulling you over...generally means you've done something wrong...so why get pissed at them, they're just going their job. I've been pulled over for doing brake-stands at stoplights, racing, many times going over 85mph, speeding on lots of other roads. All over many years. When I'm pulled over, I apologize for wasting their time...I'm not pissed at them for doing their job. Both hands up on top of the wheel as they walk up to you...put them at ease.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Sounds like you guys have been pretty lucky.
    I have only been pulled over twice and not gotten a ticket.
    The Second time was with my wife, I, would have gotten a ticket, just bc that's my luck.

1st one in Birmingham Al , redlight ticket.
    2 St Robert Mo 62/45
    3 State Trooper I44 in Mo 92/70
    4 LorenaTx 85/70

The Redlight one was kinda crap.
    I deserved the rest. I had slowed down since the 92 ticket, was going about Speed Limit on the last one, got mad bc someone was hanging in the Left Lane so I got over and punched it to get around him.

I'm always respectful when I have gotten pulled over. When you're doing close to 20 over....

They're good here. Always helpful.

My history:

Cut off a cop cuz I couldn't see a sign that said this lane ends, and it ended very suddenly. lol - Written warning.

Pulled over for running a stop sign - verbal warning

Pulled over for running a red light - agreed to a breathalyzer and got a verbal warning

Stopped from getting into my car cuz I and my car matched a dude that robbed a bank - just a bit of time lost, no random tazing or beating

Couple other little things, mostly questions or so and they were always polite and helpful.

My only negative experience was that I stopped at a stop sign, saw a police car, and counted to 3, then drove off and I got pulled over for running the stop sign. Woman cop, and she said I didn't stop at all. 140 dollar ticket for that. if she had the car facing the stop sign I would have fought it cuz the video would back me up but meh.

Emerald Triangle looking for EA and some trainwreck!
    Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post

Pulled over for running a red light - agreed to a breathalyzer and got a verbal warning
    Don't know why but I lol'ed for real when I read that!

Police women of the world...

http://gunsnplanes.blogspot.com/2011...-of-world.html

There are a couple in there I'd beg to frisk me.

Uninsured for your health
    I got pulled over a lot for lights being out, twice for speeding, and once for vehicle registration...there's been a few times lately that I should of been pulled over but wasn't. I was doing 80 on a major street in town, it was kind of late so there wasn't much traffic. I pulled up to a light about the same time a cop did, so I know he had to know how fast I was going. My tags were expired too...I'm pretty sure he ran the tags and they came back blocked, so I'm assuming he saw thought and figured I was a UC and let it ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Three Rivers Designs
    America! Love it or give it back!

In a dry but moldy New Orleans, Louisiana
    The cops around here are pretty cool. Iíve been let go a few times for different things that would have resulted in jail time. BUT give them too much grief and they have no problem what-so-ever beating the absolute crap out of you. Videos arenít hard to find.

video

video
    Sliding down the banister of life ..........................

In my little small town the police here are cool, if you are. However, there have been numerous accounts of corruption, intimidation, stings, and the whole bit. It's a small town, with a college, and they love to bust for drugs and dui. And they should, but the methods are suspect.

""The Lexington Police Department has been embroiled in controversy over the past few years. Town residents and tourists alike have charged the department with harassment and illegal search and seizure. Police officers are alleged to have targeted Washington and Lee University students in particular, prompting criticism by university officials and local civil rights advocates. "We won't accept behavior that would be considered inappropriate, if not illegal, anywhere else", said one City official.""

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexington,_Virginia

SG Enthusiast
    I know a really awesome bike cop where I live, lol!!
    Looking for work............

Back home we have some great LEOs. For the most part. I threw in the last only because it largely has to do with department policy. My town has a laid back simple attitude of service and being helpful. over to the west of us is a town that had a Navy Base on it and was a crossroads between I295 and coastal route 1. They learned a long time ago they could make a lot of money and grants for drunk driving arrests, so they were very aggressive to the amount of stops they did because they had a ton of traffic thru their town. They are the #1 in the entire state every year for drunk driving, and vehicle stops related arrests. Which means they got an arrest from an other crime for a traffic stop, like drugs were found or stolen property... They have a very aggressive vehicle stop policy which gives them an ******* police town. My town on the other hand know the trouble makers and concentrate on them. When you are locked out they come by with a slim jim and get you out. I had a vehilce run out of gas, the officer helped me push it out of the way and gave me a ride home. Larger cities have an I don't have time for small stuff in general, but there are exceptions there too. Mostly it comes down to you.

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

Points for who can place those lyrics.

In a dry but moldy New Orleans, Louisiana
    Quote Originally Posted by Russell View Post
    I know a really awesome bike cop where I live, lol!!
    I met a New Orleans bike cop that was in the Tet Offensive during the Vietnam war and he was crazy as a loon.
    Sliding down the banister of life ..........................