Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Im planning a new build...

David, it was my understanding that the first gen Zambezi was great at video editing n stuff, crunching numbers but that was it. I dont know how true it is but i was told that a phenom could out perform it. Amd was supposed to go back and see what the flaws were and supposedly come out with v 2.0. All of this is unsubstantiated
    Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
    I often wonder if the voices in my head ever get frustrated because I'm just too damn lazy to climb that clock tower.
    Click image to enlarge
    click image to view full version

Its great with video editing because that can use all 8 cores. Games wont make use of them all. The flaws are basically that the Bulldozer line is built to offer newer instruction sets, and if things don't use them, there is no advantage, its not like there was an error in the design, its just they way they went.

Blog Entries
    The cores are less efficient than that of the sandy bridge, plus the built in GPU transcodes video like a monster.

You are correct, the hex core phenoms did outperform the 8 core dozer.

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Now i am even more confused... I have been looking into the second gen APU's from amd trinity chipset.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
    I often wonder if the voices in my head ever get frustrated because I'm just too damn lazy to climb that clock tower.
    Click image to enlarge

Blog Entries
    Piledriver is due out soon, which might very well be an improvement on the bulldozer. The Ivy bridge, though not the overclocking monsters, have an upgraded on chip GPU which transcodes roughly 20% better than the Sandy bridge.

It rightly depends on what you want of your system.

be well,
    david

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

i scrapped my original idea and pulled the trigger on this build... I wanted to get back into the meat and potatoes of something new... the APU has piqued that... It seemed like the other setup was just ooh hey, ive got the biggest numbers yada yada yada. i really want to get into this and see what possibilities there are to be had here. Plus its a bit cheaper lol

ASUS F2A85-V PRO FM2 AMD A85X (Hudson D4) SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
    Item #: N82E16813131882
    $139.99

G.SKILL Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) Desktop Memory Model F3-2400C10D-16GTX
    Item #: N82E16820231589
    $299.98
    ($149.99 ea) (-$25x2 Promo code)

AMD A10-5800K Trinity 3.8GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket FM2 100W Quad-Core Desktop APU (CPU + GPU) with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD ...
    Item #: N82E16819113280
    $129.99

Crucial M4 CT032M4SSD3 mSATA 32GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
    Item #: N82E16820148610

$49.99

Subtotal $619.95
    Tax $0.00
    Newegg 3 Day $6.77
    Rush Processing $2.99
    Promo Code -$50.00
    Order Total $579.71
    Last edited by Bastid; 10-11-12 at 10:56 PM.
    Click image to enlarge

I may have run into a tiny snag...I recieved all my parts today and well the "hard drive" is not what i expected...
    Im not surewhat to do with this lol

Click image to enlarge

Quote Originally Posted by Bastid View Post
    I may have run into a tiny snag...I recieved all my parts today and well the "hard drive" is not what i expected...
    Im not surewhat to do with this lol

isn't that one of those drives that go onto the mobo for cache, like Intel Smart Response technology ?

i would get a larger SSD anyways, you can get SSD's now for almost 50 cents per GB now

mSATA. For laptops.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    mSATA. For laptops.
    oh, i learned something new

I was just going to put the OS on it so it didnt need to be huge... So, is there a way i can use this in my current build?
    Click image to enlarge

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812186184

I guess you would want something like that. Not sure if that would work with your SSD or not.

I did find a few more things that should work at http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...sata%20adapter
    I ordered this: http://www.amazon.com/OKEBA-Mini-mSA...=msata+adapter I think it should do what i want it to... thank you for the assist, i was very tired and frustrated(long day)
    Click image to enlarge

Some motherboards will support m-sata using the PCI-E slot, usually the 4x slot. Cant hurt to try as they are electrically compatible so you wont break anything

I thought mSATA and the PCIe slots were "wired" differently?

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    I thought mSATA and the PCIe slots were "wired" differently?
    from wiki

"The connector is similar in appearance to a PCI Express Mini Card interface,[28] and is electrically compatible; however, the data signals (TX/RX SATA, PETn0 PETp0 PERn0 PERp0 PCI-express) need connection to the SATA host controller instead of the PCI-express host controller"

So it depends on the MB

So, is Crisis still the game to benchmark by?
    Click image to enlarge

Quote Originally Posted by Bastid View Post
    So, is Crisis still the game to benchmark by?
    BF3 or Skyrim would be my choices.

I realize it's a little late to weigh in on the SSD advice, but I just put a Samsung 830 in my MacBook and I'm in love with it! The 256GB versions can be had for around $170 right now. From what I've read, the Samsung's are pretty reliable.

You tube?, puking into it while drinking WD40....it's the spat that makes a rig, not the nuanncances.