Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Im planning a new build...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Im planning a new build...

I would like to hear your opinions ect...

The Ocho...

ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Gaming Motherboard with 3-Way SLI/CrossFireX Support and UEFI BIOS http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103960
    Model #:Crosshair V Formula
    Item #:N82E16813131735
    $239.99 -
    $10.00
    Instant
    $229.99

1 ASUS GT640-2GD3 GeForce GT 640 2GB 128-bit http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121643
    DDR3 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video
    Card
    Model #:GT640-2GD3
    Item #:N82E16814121643
    $109.99

AMD FX-8150 Zambezi 3.6GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor FD8150FRGUBOX http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103960
    $189.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231619
    Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000)
    Desktop Memory Model F3-2133C11D-16GZL
    Model #:F3-2133C11D-16GZL
    Item #:N82E16820231619
    $129.99

Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W Bronze W0382RU ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817153136
    Model #:W0382RU
    Item #:N82E16817153136
    $114.99 -
    $25.00
    Instant
    $89.99

Subtotal: $749.95

This build will also include 2 150Gig Western Digital Raptors that i already have...

I am not sure what to get for a psu... im iffy on that vid card but trying to stay on somewhat of a budget lol hence, the 16 gigs of ram instead of 32

and i dont want to buy a new case, i have 2 nice ones i like but they dont have the blow hole for the top mounted psu.
    Thermaltake Tsunami Dream:

Thermaltake Xaser V: (Mine needs tlc)

Or should i just move with the times and get a new case?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811144182
    Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
    I often wonder if the voices in my head ever get frustrated because I'm just too damn lazy to climb that clock tower.
    Click image to enlarge
    click image to view full version

Well, I guess i pissed someone off.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
    I often wonder if the voices in my head ever get frustrated because I'm just too damn lazy to climb that clock tower.
    Click image to enlarge

i think AMD is launching a new line of CPU's very soon if you are staying AMD.

what are your main uses for this PC ?

gaming, video encoding, ect ?

i would for sure get a new SSD as the prices have really gone down lately, a major difference in everyday use IMO

Is that your current case? If so, then

Quote Originally Posted by CableDude View Post
    Is that your current case? If so, then
    Yeah, the 2 thermaltakes are mine... matter of fact i bought the Xaser from someone here...
    Click image to enlarge

Most likely gaming... It was my understanding that these were the new line... but then again its been close to a decade since i have been active in keeping up with the joneses... So, the ssd's, do they live comparable lives to a mechanical drive now?
    Click image to enlarge

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by Bastid View Post
    So, the ssd's, do they live comparable lives to a mechanical drive now?
    Not from the numbers we're seeing and sending back for RMAs.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Not from the numbers we're seeing and sending back for RMAs.
    Even Intels and Crucial M4's ?

I'm not happy with HDD reliability lately either, too many DOAs.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    Even Intels and Crucial M4's ?
    No...not seeing those come in the hardware. If I were to build and use an SSD..it would be one of those brands.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Blog Entries
    CPU is pretty good value for the money... I'd look at SSDs as well... Maybe go for Corsair memory but that's just a personal preference.

i have been pondering a new build myself, but am going to have to wait it seems, if i were to build today, i would go with a Intel 3770K CPU for the overclocking ability and hyperthreading for video encoding.

but if i could spend another $300 or so i would love to go with a Intel Core i7-3930K, plus i am sure the motherboards for that socket cost more.

and i would go with 2 8GB sticks of ram, or if i had the budget 32GB total for some ram drive usage..

as far as graphics cards go, i am not sure what to recommend, but i would check out http://hardforum.com/index.php for that info.
    4930K@4.3~32GBGskill~asusX79deluxe~r9-280x~240GB-SSD-OS drive~500GB-SSD-scratch~240GB-SSD-thrash~2TB storage~Windows 7 pro
    *~ SG stats ~my stats

I'm gonna have to build soon....couple of days a go my old gaming rig at home finally croaked. My rig has issues powering up..even getting through post. Looked at it..3x caps on my Asus p5q are bulging. She's old..been rock solid...it has the first Core 2 Duo processor in it.

Gotta find a basic mobo and an i5 processor. Vid card is great, pair of Raptor 76 gig drives. Intel Sonata case. Just sucks for the timing...huge expenses at the home front with stuff going on and 2x vacations come up...1 of which is a huge vacation. No spare money.

My personal taste for building computers now..it's all about smaller size. Even my Antec Sonata case I'd like to replace with a smaller one.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Blog Entries
    M4's and Intel SSD's have been doing fairly well.

Waiting for the AMD "piledrivers" might be an idea. As it stands, the 8 core AMDs do not outperform the 2600K or even the 2500K intel offering. Good deals on z68 boards would save you the money for the better CPU.

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

For gaming go with Intel. Seems every now and then a game comes out that doesn't play nice with AMD, plus intel is just the top dog.

That video card is kinda crap too, if you cant afford a 660, look at a 560-570ti. Check reviews but I'm sure one of them will have good power.

Corsair and XFX have good PSUs built by Seasonic.
    Last edited by YARDofSTUF; 10-02-12 at 03:38 PM.

ok, to be honest i have a thing about intel... its not rational but its still a thing. Like ford and chevy type thing... I like AMD... i may have issues. Also, I thought i had heard/read that the second gen zambezi is supposed to be a lot better than the first. but , yes, I have been researching the seasonic and everything ive clicked on has given great reviews! Yeah, the card was just to get everything up and running, but i cant justify spending 300 on a card let alone 500.

And thank you guys for your input.
    Click image to enlarge

Blog Entries
    That processor's CPU marks are better than I5s and close to an I7, which puts it in a very competitive price bracket.

Yeold, I still like bigger cases that leave room for expansion/cooling, however, my thing nowadays is power efficient builds, as in PSUs, CPUs, etc. I do have a mini-ITX for HTPC though.

Blog Entries
    Most of the comparison I read painted the 8 core as a huge disappointment. It did not fair well even against the sandy bridge offerings.

I understand the sentiment, however.

Hell_Yes

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

What about 180-200 on a card? GTX 560 or AMD 7850. As long as your monitor is 24" or smaller those should do well.

Blog Entries
    A 6950 would suffice for a video card, cheaply had these days.

Hell_Yes

I grabbed a 7750, run boarderlands 2 maxed out without a single hiccup. Cheap card, single slot. Supports crossfire if I need to grab another.