Thread: Laptop hard drive really slow but not dead

Cabledude Avatar Fan purecomedy's Avatar

Laptop hard drive really slow but not dead

I've got a laptop, probably 6 years old and suddenly the hard drive is going very very slow. I find this quite odd as any desktop hard drive i've ever had works full speed or is pretty much dead (or crashes but works at full speed until the next crash).

Anyway, just wondering if anyone can confirm that this is a common thing for laptop hard drives to really really slow down as opposed to just a straight crash.

Interested in any experience on this front...

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    I commonly see hard drives slow down over time....or suddenly become very slow. They can vary.
    6 years old....it's time for a new drive anyways. If you deem a year old laptop is worth putting a bit of money into.
    Go with at leas ta 7,200rpm drive....or if you want some zip...get a hybrid drive like the Seagate Momentus XT.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Ok thanks for confirming. It may be worth putting a new hard drive in just to keep it going. All we really want the computer for is storing music for iPad, iPhone etc. The screen on this laptop is nice, I guess the other thing is the battery is dead too and not worth replacing. This machine exemplifies what frustrates me with laptops. I have 10 year old desktops that worth the same as when I bought them but laptops just don't seem to stand up even if you don't bonk them around much...

Quote Originally Posted by purecomedy View Post
    This machine exemplifies what frustrates me with laptops. I have 10 year old desktops that worth the same as when I bought them but laptops just don't seem to stand up even if you don't bonk them around much...
    Well...that depends on the laptop...which "grade" of model you got. With many "entry level/home grade" laptops that are under 600 bucks..yeah, they don't last long. However...get some good business grade models....Lenovo Thinkpad T series, or some of the upper end Dell Latitude or Precision series....they hold up for a long time. I use Thinkpads....I beat the living crap out of those laptops each and every day. Open/close/open/close as I work from home, office, clients sites, office, clients sites, home, office,..back 'n forth 'n back 'n forth. The laptops really never shut down or fully reboot, just go into standby all the time. Thrown in my laptop back..which is either thrown on the floor of my truck, or strapped to the luggage rack of my Harley motorcycle and baking in the hot sun and dealing with Harley vibrations.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

You get what you pay for with laptops. I've been using a Dell Latitude d-830 for the last 6-7 years and it's still going strong. Paid approx $1200 when I got it (customized package with max RAM, nvidia video, etc). Original battery still functions like new.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    You get what you pay for with laptops. I've been using a Dell Latitude d-830 for the last 6-7 years and it's still going strong. Paid approx $1200 when I got it (customized package with max RAM, nvidia video, etc). Original battery still functions like new.
    It will die eventually. Known problem with the nVidia graphics chip on those (as well as several other models from that time period). I would count your blessings.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisinCain View Post
    It will die eventually. Known problem with the nVidia graphics chip on those (as well as several other models from that time period). I would count your blessings.
    Already put the motherboard of our 630 through the oven for a while to re-ball that GPU connection.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

What are the symptoms of the nVidia graphics chip on these computers? Computer completely dies or weird graphics artifacts?

Weird graphics artifacts. Soon as you power on...you might see white blocks against the black screen of the POST.
    Windows desktop (or whatever window is open) may suddenly get that washed out 16 color look.
    You may get an all salt 'n pepper screen during use.
    Computer screen may turn all pale colors and computer totally locks up hard.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Blog Entries
    8600m was their problem child.

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Well I found on my laptop that the only problem appeared to be that the Primary IDE Controller was on PIO mode. I uninstalled and rebooted windows and now things are fast again in Ultra DMA 5 mode. The question now will be how long will it last. From what I've seen, this setting tends to happen with a flaky hard drive controller as opposed to hard drive itself.